Return to the Building a Home Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What Brick Is This?

Posted by gaonmymind (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 14, 12 at 17:43

Just found out that I can't use white paint in my neighborhood so I have decided to do all brick. I love the brick on this Spiztmiller Norris house, but have no idea what it is. I also like the brick below..although I am not sure if it is just the weeping mortar and protruding brick technique that has me on that one.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What Brick Is This?

My guess would be Boral 17th century brick Regency

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.boralna.com/bricks/images/17th-century-colors-4-col.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.boralna.com/bricks/bricks-17th-century-colors.asp&usg=__6sLTZ7fM8S77L9ysiaIuvwEqM24=&h=2080&w=2512&sz=1578&hl=en&start=14&zoom=1&tbnid=c97KeCgS7LZ8AM:&tbnh=124&tbnw=150&ei=iCJhT-6cJ8ShtwfM1YipBQ&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dboral%2B17th%2Bcentury%2Bbrick%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26safe%3Doff%26sa%3DN%26gbv%3D2%26rlz%3D1R2ADSA_enUS441%26tbm%3Disch&um=1&itbs=1

o

You may want to email or call them and see if they know or will tell you. That house was recently photographed for something (was it Atlanta Homes and Lifestyles?) and the source section may tell you.

I had a question about a brick used on a house on West Paces Ferry by Bill Harrison and I emailed them and they emailed me within a day or two with the brick brand, name and supplier. It ended up being what we are using for our back patio . ..

o

The top 2 pics look like General Shale's Charlestowne Landing. The 2nd two look like General Shale's Castlerock. In fact, the house on the General Shale Gallery page for the Castlerock brick is that house (only in all brick vs. brick & stone). The second 2 pics also have a different mortar style--it looks alot like a "squeezed" or "weeping" mortar joint.

Hope this helps!

Here is a link that might be useful: General Shale Gallery Page-Both Bricks Shown

o

Awesome suggestions everyone! I will look into each further...thanks for the help :)

o

Also, on the 1st 2 pics, it looks like Federal White mortar with regular sand was used. Trust me when I say the mortar color & the sand color can entirely change how a brick color looks.--Who knew?!?

o

I am pretty sure based on the shaping of the first bricks, the architect involved and the cost of the house that they are a wood molded brick like Old Virginia, Old Carolina, or Boral 17th Century. They are expensive bricks! You can get a similar look by going with a machine tumbled brick for less.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Building a Home Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here