Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sanveann_gw

Budgeting for window treatments

sanveann
11 years ago

My husband brought up something that hadn't even occurred to me the other day -- a window treatment budget. Our new house will have a massive number of windows (especially compared to our current house, which has a whopping five!), and I'm suddenly rather overwhelmed! Dressing windows has never been my strong point, anyway.

How did you budget for window treatments (or how will you)? Anyone have any sources for affordable ones? I can sew a little, but probably not anything that I'd want on display in a room company will see :)

Comments (14)

• sanveann
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Wow, thanks, Bev!

• motherof3sons
    11 years ago

Our build price did not include any landscape, dirt work or interior decorating. That can literally be another chunk of change if you don't watch out. I looked on many websites for inexpensive 2" blinds, plus Lowes and HD. For the main floor I chose a local retailer that beat all online prices. The lower level we bough the custom cut Levolor's from Lowes. Now we are working on drapes. I think Bevangel's links will come in handy!

• virgilcarter
    11 years ago

We don't use any, except in bedrooms to keep the early morning light out. For that we use, painted wood blinds to match the trim color.

Do you really need window coverings?

Good luck with your project.

• PRO
    Window Accents by Vanessa Downs
    11 years ago

Now Virgil - I think you're an architect and I'm sure you'd say people should use an architect! I think everyone needs window coverings on some of their windows.

I'm in the custom window treatment business so I say set aside a good amount of $$$ for your windows - if you plan to do custom! If you want to get privacy first and deal with beauty later - put up blinds. You can get them from a number of places - local blind stores, decorators, big box stores or order online. Live in your home for awhile and decide if you want soft treatments (drapes/valances).

Plantation shutters are beautiful and provide privacy, but they are a more expensive way to cover your windows from the start.

I've had clients (under new construction) who set aside a portion of their mortgage for their window treatments! Just a thought.....!!!

• sanveann
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Virgil, we're on a 10-acre lot but do have neighbors on both sides. The back windows we could probably skip (the property is about 1200 feet deep, and there's just a field in back of THAT). The kids' rooms we'll have to do, as they don't sleep well with too much light in their rooms, and my husband is insistent that the front windows will at least need something nice.

Downsy, I looooove the look of plantation shutters, but definitely something that will have to wait!

• LuAnn_in_PA
    11 years ago

LOL!

Now Downsy, you're "in the custom window treatment business".

So it is totally expected that you would say "everyone needs window coverings on some of their windows"

• autumn.4
    11 years ago

sanveann-We recently updated some window treatments and have had good luck on line. The living room were much more pricey as we went with woven wood, wood slats (unfortunately plantation are out of our budget much as I love them) for the kitchen and double cell pleated for the bedrooms.

For the longest time we didn't have anything covering our slider that faces out back - not totally private but enough that we could take our time after the verticals were so badly wore out they had to go and I didn't like them anyhow. I have to say we ended up using panels and I LOVE them. Not only do they provide privacy, they also add some texture and are so easy to deal with, budget friendly also. Machine washable - which is an added bonus since we have 2 boys and a large dog. I will likely have panels in the new build in certain areas.

Anyhow - my point is there are some reasonable $$ options that you could use in the interim if your budget doesn't allow what you want right now on top of the cost of building. We are planning to build within the next 12 months and have decided to cover what is necessary but not everything will be covered initially. The areas that look out to woods will likely wait and may or may not ever get covered. Bedroom/bathrooms and areas that face neighbors - well those will be covered first! :)

Good luck!

Lisa

• sanveann
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, Lisa! Is there a website in particular you recommend?

• autumn.4
    11 years ago

I have used both selectblinds.com and blindsgalore.com with good success. This last round they had a buy 3 get one free and they do that on a somewhat regular basis so keep an eye out. I will say you do need to watch the range you are buying in. This last set we bought of wood 2" slat blinds we bought the value blind since we are planning to sell and they were definitely not as nice (works fine just the finish and controls are not quite as nice) as the one we had purchased prior that was a levelor. Levelor was still a good price but not as budget friendly as the value series - you get what you pay for at a certain point but they are fine for prepping to sell!

The panels I got from Lowe's or Menards, I can't remember which. I also collect bed bath and beyond coupons and bought the rods from there.

Blinds can add up in a hurry so every little bit helps! I find it somewhat amusing that whatever I like is normally over budget.....gah!

• PRO
    Window Accents by Vanessa Downs
    11 years ago

LuAnn Yes LOL I was ribbing at Virgilcarter! But I do think a house looks best dressed when the windows are clothed. :)

• virgilcarter
    11 years ago

OK, then since I like natural light in my interiors and the view out of windows where I've carefully planned them, I guess that means I like my windows undressed and enjoy them that way.

Something for everyone.

Good luck on your project.

• mrspete
    11 years ago

I definitely like curtains -- they add softness to a room. Yes, plantation shutters are nice and undeniably practical, but for most applications I'd go with some form of curtain.

If you have ANY sewing skills whatsoever, you can sew simple curtains (not necessarily ruffles or Roman shades, but simple drapes). They're just straight seams. The secret: Don't be skimpy with the fabric. If you want your curtains to be full, use at least 2.5 times the width of your window. And always line your curtains; you can use plain white bedsheets, but lining makes them more substantial.

Sewing curtains yourself is MUCH less expensive than buying them.

• bird_lover6
    11 years ago

I would look into ready-made curtains at Restoration Hardware and Pottery Barn (Peyton linen-cotton blend).

The RH linen curtains are fantastic quality for ready made. If you just need a pair of curtains for a bedroom, for example, you can also check ebay for RH and PB curtains for less than retail price.

Sponsored
Kohlmark Flach Architects
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Kohlmark Flach Architects: Enriching Lives Through Purposeful Design