Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bmh4796

dropin, undermount, or freestanding tub?

bridget helm
11 years ago

Hi. I really like both freestanding tubs and builtin tubs. Since I can't decide, I figured I'd go with whatever's cheaper and use the savings towards something else in teh house. Maybe they are both the same?? I'm wondering if going with a dropin or undermount is cheaper? It seems like there really would be that much savings since the surround has to be tiled and or trimmed though.

for example, this tub alone is probably a kohler that cost about $600, but there's the tile and trim work.

then there's a freestanding that costs around 3,000.

So which is cheaper?

Comments (15)

• Spottythecat
    11 years ago

In our case, the drop-ins were much less expensive - you can do the trim work with subway tile which is pretty inexpensive...I think the trim in the photo wouldn't cost much. The undermount would probably me more because the granite tub would need to be finished (like a sink).

The stand alones are expensive and so are the faucets...they come out of the floor and are very pretty - you want the pipes to show!

Best,
    Pam

• bridget helm
    Original Author
    11 years ago

thanks Pam. I didn't think about the faucets being pricier. good point

• nini804
    11 years ago

Freestanding is MUCH more expensive....not just the tub, which can vary, but the daggum plumbing fixtures (the pipes that come through the floor, not the faucet) cost a fortune! I thought, like you, since they didn't have to do the surround that it would be a wash or maybe just a little more, but I think ours was like 2g more.

• User
    11 years ago

I have designed all types and find the undermount to look and function best. If cost is an issue, I would use a standard tub with 3 sides against the walls.

• worthy
    11 years ago

The comparison is meaningless.

Freestanding tubs range in price from less than a thousand dollars to $22,000 for these swathed in Swavorski crystals, to $47,000 for this Red Diamond high-tech to $40,0000++++ for new and antique copper and pewter tubs.

Ditto taps and faucets.

"This freestanding tub will be the death of me," A. Marat.

• jimandanne_mi
    11 years ago

I grew up in an old house with a free standing claw foot tub. I liked its depth, but not cleaning around it.

When we built our new home, the more I looked at drop in tubs with a deck of whatever sort, the more I hated the idea of having to clean all of it, especially as I got older. I also didn't want it under a window, since that makes it colder in the winter here.

We ended up getting a 5'6" long extra deep Kohler Mariposa alcove tub. It's comfortable to soak in, easy to clean, easy to get out of because of the internal integrated ledge, I don't have to be concerned with where water splashes, and I can see out the window that is next to it, not over it. When you walk into the bathroom, the view out the window (it's only 4'w x 3'h) of the trees is the focal point, not a fancy tub setup. Part of me wanted the whole pretty tub thing; the other part of me decided not to waste the square footage.

Anne

• jimandanne_mi
    11 years ago

I grew up in an old house with a free standing claw foot tub. I liked its depth, but not cleaning around it.

When we built our new home, the more I looked at drop in tubs with a deck of whatever sort, the more I hated the idea of having to clean all of it, especially as I got older. I also didn't want it under a window, since that makes it colder in the winter here.

We ended up getting a 5'6" long extra deep Kohler Mariposa alcove tub. It's comfortable to soak in, easy to clean, easy to get out of because of the internal integrated ledge, I don't have to be concerned with where water splashes, and I can see out the window that is next to it, not over it. When you walk into the bathroom, the view out the window (it's only 4'w x 3'h) of the trees is the focal point, not a fancy tub setup. Part of me wanted the whole pretty tub thing; the other part of me decided not to waste the square footage.

Anne

• aerogurl87
    11 years ago

I'm pretty sure that a drop in would be the least expensive as well. All the freestanding tubs I've seen have been way more expensive than their undermount and drop in counterparts. With that said, I like drop ins the best because you can build a nice ledge around them which is perfect for placing a cold drink beside you while you relax. You can't do that with a freestanding tub.

• bridget helm
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks everyone!! I like the dead person in the tub. Lol!

I've used a freestanding clawfoot, and now that I think about it, it was a pain to not have a place to put shampoo etc. I have the Kohler mariposa alcove right now and it is a great tub - easy to clean!!! I'd use that again, but my husband wants a tiled or trimmed front rather than the acrylic front that mariposa has. I'll prob go with white subway tiled front and surround with white marble top.

Should we go undermount or over mount. Any pros or cons there? Will I wonder what's lurking under the rim of the undermount?? How does that work?

• ILoveRed
    11 years ago

Bmh--I'm glad you brought this subject up. After R8 mentioned under mounting tubs, I did a google search for the undermount Tea for Two by Kohler (which is a tub I like) and found some cool pics. It hadn't occurred to me to undermount a tub.

I have the Kohler Ironworks in this house and it is 66" which is as long as I could go with my space and still have adequate decking. Frankly, 66" is too short for a tall man and my dh does occasionally like to bathe. It is almost perfect for me...average height and very comfortable. I actually could have gotten a longer tub and undermounted it ( she says as she pops herself on the head).

The Tea for Two is 72" and although this is not my style this is a pic of it undercounted. Nice. I would not be afraid to undermount because of germs or crud.

Here's a pic of my Ironworks which is 66" . These are both Cast Iron tubs and can be purchased cheaper than the Price on the Kohler website. The floor has to be built differently under these tubs according to my builder.

{{gwi:1424874}}

On my tub, I used a panel on the front that matches my cabinetry. Just another option besides tile to consider.

I also love the freestanding tubs. Would love to see a pic of yours Nini.

• bridget helm
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Both are nice looking! Thanks for posting pics! I see that the marble top on the undermount doesn't completely go alllll the way over the edge of the tub, so crud shouldn't be an issue in that particular pic. That's how they did my undermount kitchen sink in the house we are in now. I can see that the silicone is always clean. I think it's some sort of anti microbial silicone or something because its NEVER dirty.

However, the marble in my bathroom really goes over the sinks and it can get yucky under there. Nothing a little spray bleach can't tackle, but I wouldn't be able to relax in my tub if I thought yucky was under the marble.

So, thanks to you, I'll have a pic to show the builder and fabricator and plumber. My mind is made up on an undermount Kohler tub with tile surround since tiles are easier to clean. I like the way the wood surrounds look, but my kids mess up my white cabinets so ill do white subways

It feels so good to make a decision. Check!!

• dekeoboe
    11 years ago

With an undermount tub, does the granite have to be all one piece or can it be seamed? We have an overmount and the granite is seamed because to do it out of one piece was a lot more expensive. Specifically, I am wondering about the seams on the inner edges.

• Brad Maltz
    11 years ago

I just went through the same decision. I was very cost conscious. I found the tub linked below. We ended up doing this tub. But I also did not want to get a very expensive free standing faucet AND we wanted a shelf with the tub. So we ended up building a 24' x 4' shelf behind the tub against the wall where we can then do a deck mounted faucet and have places to put things.

Here is a link that might be useful: The Tub We Chose

• bridget helm
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Duke oboe, good point. I'm guessing undermount does have to be one slab which costs more for materials and probably fabrication too. If we can use the cutout piece for the guest bathroom counter then it will be worth it. Hopefully we can. I'll check with the builder about this.

Brandinmass, that's a good idea that you came up with that solves 2 problems in one. I'll have to think about that. Do u have a picture?