Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
melanie123stacey

nantahala house plan

Melanie123Stacey
12 years ago

Has anyone built the Nantahala house plan or Amicalola house plan recently?

Comments (188)

• butrflis
    7 years ago

Hello all,

My husband and I are a bit late to the party here but are planning on building the Nantahala with a basement and some modifications to have it look more like the HotSprings on the outside.. We are in the Cumberland City just North West of Nashville. Thank you all for the tips, information and pics. Den Horton thank you so much for the pics of the outside. I was so happy to see the use of siding like you did. I do not like all the Cedar Shakes on the original. Anyone who knows of a good builder in our area, Id appreciate the info. My email is arenzkl@gmail.com. My husband is a builder and will be doing alot of the subcontracting such as what RYeager mentioned. BTW, Ryeager how did you go about that? Dwise84, are you related to Dr. Darla Wise by chance? She lives that way and is a wonderful person I know personally.

• beaepdy
    7 years ago

We are building the Nantahala 08085 with full finished basement in Canton, GA. We changed a few things. Took out the wall between kitchen and lodge room. We are boxing all the beams inside and outside. We are framing now. Builder hopes to have us in by November.

• Vicky Shirey
    7 years ago

@beaepdy We will be building in Woodstock. We would love to see photos of your progress. Thanks.

• Vicky Shirey
    7 years ago

@beaepdy We would also love to come by and see your house. If you are willing, please email me at gamom056@gmail.com. Thanks.

• entroy
    7 years ago

We just broke ground not too long ago. We can't decide on exterior colors. We are wanting to do a mixture of brick, stone and hardie planks. Husband wants to do red hardie, but that seems like a pretty bold choice. So far I have been unable to locate many pictures mixing brick with the red hardie. Wondering if anyone has found any?

Also, we are located in Missouri, wondering if anyone else is building a similar style near here?

• Sandy H
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Go to Richardson Construction's Facebook page.. The cover photo is a a picture of our house https://www.facebook.com/Richardson-Construction-LLC-107776919304827/?fref=ts You may find an app you could color the hardie with?

• lndcross
    7 years ago

I finally finished my MSN program and my husband and I are ready to build. We thought we were going to start a few years ago and bought the Nantahala plans, but I decided to go back to school. We contacted Garrell a year or two after purchasing the plans asking how much it would cost to change the basement plan to a crawl space and the roof to gable; they told us over the phone it would be $150. it was our own stupidity for not getting it in writing or buying the plans with the changes at that time because we are now ready to build and they want to charge us $1000 as a restocking fee to obtain the changed plans. They are also saying they have no record of telling us that, so we are out of luck.

I live in Bloomfield, Kentucky, which is near Bardstown, Kentucky, the Bourbon Capital of the World. We haven't started with estimates yet and will be attempting to cut costs in some areas, but I was wondering how much it cost you all to build. Does anyone know about how much the cost difference is in a basement versus a crawl space?

I appreciate all the photos everyone has posted; all the homes are gorgeous!

• Den Horton
    7 years ago

We did a half basement.. 1200 sq feet.. and the other half crawlspace.. based on the topology of the lot it was the most cost effective.. the cost for 5 feet of additional blocks, and concrete slab was was under 10k.. this also gave us a walk patio under the upper deck and a nice courtyard in the back.. the finish work for the basement was around 20.00 a square foot.. depending items.. we did a waterproof wood PVC plank floor.. with standard doors and trim.. turned out nice..

• Jenee D
    7 years ago

Hi folks! I have an interesting request. My husband and I are looking to purchase an Amicalola plan, to build on our 20 acres in beautiful Gulfport, Mississippi. Next month we are mixing business with pleasure and taking an RV trip to Buffalo NY. We were hoping there is someone living on the route that would be willing to let us tour their home. It would truly help us prepare for this upcoming project! :) Here is our route and my email is jenee083@gmail.com. Would love to chat! :)

• Jenny Hester
    7 years ago

I've just emailed you!

• PRO
  • PRO
  • PRO
  • PRO
  • PRO
  • Tina Jack
    6 years ago

westco builders, inc - where is this home being built?

• PRO
    westco builders inc.
    6 years ago

Central Virginia

• PRO
    westco builders inc.
    6 years ago

Modified Chestatee River Cottage design, spent a year playing with the plans and SPEC'S... Price was always an issue but one day I pulled the plug and dug the hole. figured that would get me started :) been working on it at a slow pace as I have other projects underway. We Build a lot of Donald Gardner designs and was looking for something just a little different. Unfortunately, different does not mean cheaper. So far its been a fun project. Took nearly a year to get the cedar shake siding out of Western Canada, but its here and we have started to install it. Went with a natural fieldstone, Anderson Windows, exterior timbers have been delivered and are being prepped for install. Flagstone out of Tenn. is due in soon for the front porch, rear patio and the screen porch.

• Chantel Kress
    6 years ago

here is out scaled down version we designed after buying the nantahala plans and finding it would cost triple what we paid for this!!! Happy to share details with anyone❤

• Tina Jack
    6 years ago

Chantel Kress, would LOVE some details, my email is ynottina@aol.com. We'll need ALOT of changes to Garrell's plan due to handicap requirements - $$$$$$$$$$$ for changes just to design plan!! Thought about calling and pleading for mercy since hubby is Disabled Vet, but just don't have the guts at this point.

• L Lane
    6 years ago

Anyone building a version of the Nantahala within a few hours of North Georgia who would let us take a look during construction? Thanks!

• beaepdy
    6 years ago

Lane, we built one in Ball Ground, GA but it is no longer under construction. We have been in for about a year. We did the Nantahala with full finished basement. You are welcome to come take a look.

• L Lane
    6 years ago

Perfect! My Dad just finished his custom home in Ball Ground, he is our GC. He wants to see the plan or similar in person. My email is Lsbrokerga@gmail.com if you want to share your contact info. Thank you.

• Kim Strenke
    6 years ago

My husband and I are getting ready to build the Nantahala on our lakefront property. We are using white washed brick with cedar columns and accents. Has anyone built this plan with brick?

• Vicky Shirey
    6 years ago

Hi Kim Strenke, We built this house in brick. We hope to move in in the next few weeks.

• Kim Strenke
    6 years ago

Thanks Vicky. It is beautiful. I can't wait to start ours. Do you have any interior pictures you can share? I would love to get an idea of what the interior will look like.

• Vicky Shirey
    6 years ago

Kim, Thank you for your kind words. I don't have interior photos, at the moment. The floor guys just finished the final coat on the oak floors this week. I got a quick look, but didn't get photos. We are still doing the clean up and final touch ups on things. I will get some soon and post for you.

• Kathy Braykovich
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

beaepdy My husband and I have been looking to build this house in Gainsville Georgia. We came across the plan and fell in love with it. We have talked with a builder and if the financial aspect of it works out then it will be a go. I noticed that beaepdy said that he built the house in Ball Ground Georgia which looks like it is pretty close to Gainsville as well as Atlanta where we have relatives. If there is any way beaepdy would be willing for us to take a look at their house it would be so very appreciated. We have looked at lots of pictures and are getting a little bit of a feel for the house but it sure would be wonderful to tour one before we build. My email is: k.braykovich@gmail Also, I would appreciate anyone's opinion of what they especially like about the house and id they were disappointed in any way. I am so glad I came across this blog.

• HU-374180875
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

My husband and I will be building the Nantahala plan in December and plan to use concrete log siding. Has anyone built the house using log siding?

• toytrain1818
    4 years ago

My wife and I are planning on building one of the variations of the Nantahala as a one level with an inground unfinished basement and am trying to get an idea of the cost variables. The round outside decking would all be patio with a pool Since we are both retired is is scary. We are in the Gatlinburg/Knoxville TN area any help would be appreciated. I am now also aware that there is significant options with the timber packages as they are not supportive. My email is tlbmh56@aol.com Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• Sandy H
    4 years ago

Sent you an email

• ynottina
    4 years ago

@toytrain1818, we are currently under construction with another Nantahala/Amicola version called the Tiger Creek in Jasper, TN. (I suspect Sandy H might have mentioned us). If you look on Garrell's webpage and search Tiger Creek Cottage D 19038 and go through the pictures across the bottom, you'll see our build through various stages. You certainly can go by and visit - it's a gated community so I'll need to coordinate with our neighbor (he watches over the build). Feel free to email me at ynottina@aol.com.

• boe dillard
    4 years ago

Thanks so much for sharing! I know if you have to ask it costs too much but I really like the floor plan - can you tell me how much the cost in total - without the property? I've been saving all my life and wonder how far away I am from the amount I need to save.

• Vicky Shirey
    4 years ago

@boe dillard There are a lot of factors that determine costs, from materials used to finishing products. Are you going to be your own contractor or are you hiring someone? Square footage also changes pricing, finished basement, etc. I know I didn't really answer your question specifically, that is because pricing on a custom build is just that, custom. For us, we used a builder, but my husband was our contractor. We priced out all the jobs, getting 3 quotes, and chose the subs based on those quotes. Our house is 3,400 sq ft on the main level, with a full finished basement, and 2 bedrooms, one bath on the 2nd level. Our cost was under 800k, but you can easily exceed one million. Best of luck to you with your build.

• Kim Strenke
    4 years ago

Just guesstimating, ours was about $450,000 - $475,000. our house is a ranch with a bonus room and 1/2 bath upstairs. I think our total square footage is about 3000. As the previous responder indicated, the price depends on your finishes and materials. We absolutely love our house and so does everyone that visits.

• boe dillard
    4 years ago

Vickey - thanks so much - I'm probably doing a basement but NOT a finished one. I was thinking of using a GC. I'm looking at the Nanthala 7330 cottage/ gable house plan. I'm thinking about ditiching the latice work on the gables amongst other changes. Like I have no idea why there is a second gable over the garage door(I don't see a window there) I'd ditch the outside fireplace and built in grill. Mind if I ask which plan is 3400 feet on the main level? Sounds wonderfully large! Thanks again!

• ynottina
    4 years ago

Vicky is SO right - we've popped over $1m on ours - a lot of the reason was due to handicap accessibility needs. @Vicky Shirey, we are STILL not in the house yet!

• boe dillard
    4 years ago

ynottina - you mention it cost a lot of money to have the design changes. Do you mean the changes increased the price of the house or for the design changes. I was looking at another website and they said design changes were included if you bought the plan so I'm curious how much the design changes cost you.

• ynottina
    4 years ago

If you use Garrell, you pay. .Our an cost $9k and took about 6 months.

• boe dillard
    4 years ago

HOLY COW!! I think I'd hire an architect to reverse engineer the house :) That seems excessive. Thanks so much for sharing - that is important info!

I've only spent an hour making mods but I'll update this as I continue working on the floor plan. This is my mod of the https://www.garrellassociates.com/product/amicalola-cottage-gable/ design. Feel free to point out any mistakes I've made as this is my first draft and could use different point of views.

I added a bathroom for BR 2

I made the jack & jill bathroom for 2&3 a dedicated one and replaced the tub with a shower.

Moved the powder room

Moved the laundry room

Added pantry

Removed a porch

Moved the walls particularly in the WIC area

Ditched the dining room door

Went with the optional keeping room instead of more covered porch area - not sure why their optional keeping room sizes were significantly smaller than the porch so I'm going to assume that was a typo. I also put in a wall since it would be my TV room

Ditched the fireplace in the keeping room and covered porch. 1 unused fireplace in the Lodge room is enough.

The LR appliances are not to scale since I don't know the exact dimensions of that room.

• ynottina
    4 years ago

@boe dillard, I tried to cover everything, again most of the issues were accessibility - added a foot in the single side of the 3-car garage to allow , added a foot in the master bedroom side, etc.

We built the Tiger Creek - another spin-off of the Nantahala/Amicola, etc. (there's also a Houzz thread on the Tiger Creek). Pictures of my build are shown on Garrell Associates webpage Tiger Creek Cottage C 18028, in the photos at the top. (click on either side of stock drawing - says 'more pictures').

I certainly wasn't overly smart about this whole darn thing - when you are doing it all alone (my husband is a severely disable vet) you get taken advantage of from EVERY direction. I feel like I have "SUCKER" plastered across my forehead!

Best of luck!

• boe dillard
    4 years ago

ynottina - thanks so much for sharing your experience. Hopefully it turns out to be exactly what you want. One of the mods I'm considering is 36" doors in the event wheelchair access is required throughout the house - by any chance was that one of your requests?

• boe dillard
    4 years ago

dwise84, you mentioned not doing the upstairs. Is it just that they don't finish that area or does it change the roofline?

• ynottina
    4 years ago

@boe dillard, yes, plus 4' hallways. Hubby is in a 430 lb powerchair. The plan already had an elevator so that helped too.

• Vicky Shirey
    4 years ago

@ynottina I sure wish there was an "unlike" button. I am so sorry to read that you aren't in your house yet. I figured a little more than a year, but not this long. Hopefully things will wrap up and you can move in soon. Our house was about 13 months from the breaking ground point, and like you, our plan took way longer to finish than promised.

• Camille
    3 years ago

@toytrain1818 Did you end up building this house? I’m in your area (Sevierville) and we are wanting to build this house as well.

• Nancy Giles
    2 years ago

We are currently building in Alabama. We and our contractor have made several changes to the plan as it is framed and all. Some things just don’t work like it shows on paper. My husband & I would love to see someone’s finished house if possible. The details on this plan are hard to decide without a little help. Anyone willing to help out on advice or let us walk through your own, please please!! Email: ngiles15@yahoo.com
    Thanks!!

• Cindy Molesworth
    last year

Does anyone of have any recent photos of Nantahala house plans?

• Nancy Giles
    last year

We are almost 17 months into this build. Almost finished.

• Nancy Giles
    last year

We are almost 17 months into our build. Almost finished.