Return to the Building a Home Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
nantahala house plan

Posted by Melanie123Stacey (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 22, 12 at 16:53

Has anyone built the Nantahala house plan or Amicalola house plan recently?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: nantahala house plan

i went about 2 years ago and looked at the Nantahala house being built. That was my dream home on paper. I still love the house but thought the living room was way to small and it's expensive to build!!!! But If I ever struck it rich....I would build something like it.

o

My friend built the Amicacola cottage. They did alot of revisions brick instead of shakes, modified the beams interior. It is very stunning and warm. although I agree with Jean61 that roof line is extremely expensive to build as well as the rounded porch off back but my friends were able to save in other areas and did alot of work themselves on certain things....we are not that handy so we could not have done that. I do not think the family room is small at all, how much space do you really need when the that house is so spread out and the kitchen is amazing!

o

We are building the Nantahala. We are very excited! I found the plans online and loved them. We purchased the plans and after a few modifications, are well into the project. These pictures were taken two months ago. A lot has happened since. You will LOVE this house, but be prepared to spend some money! It is not cheap. The roof line has given the builders a fit! But, it is going to be magnificent! We are using a natural stone veneer on the columns and outside of the house. We took the fireplace on the screened in porch and put it on the wall ajoining the keeping room. This opened up the view on the porch and saved some money by having one chimney for two fireplaces. We have a full basement, but it is unfinished, because it is just the two of us. Don't hesitate to get these plans.

o

We were about ready to begin building the Nantahala, but things came to a screaching hault when the lumber yard looked at the plans and said it would cost us around $1million to build. We are having a hard time understanding where that figure came from because we had obtained bids from 3 builders before we ever sold our previous home. The bids ranged from $125/sq ft to $140/sq ft. My husband is a contractor and is doing the septic and plumbing. At this point, I am in tears because I had my heart set on this plan, and we were hoping to break ground with in a week! Do you mind sharing what it is costing you per sq ft? Our plan number is 07330 it is 2611 sq ft, and we are doing the 334 sq ft bonus room.

o

We love this plan as well. We spoke with a builder who completed the home within the last year, and he said that to do it right, in our area (middle TN outside of Nashville) that the price per square foot would run $120.00. This was the main floor, bonus room, and a finished basement.

o

After originally planning on the Amicalola house plan we have since decided on the Nantahala Cottage with the gable roof plan # 07330� The simpler gable roof will make the cost of the roof much less and really doesn�t hurt the appearance much when you look at side by side pictures. We have spoken to one GE who quoted us $165 a sqft if we were able to do a lot to help?!? Yeah that�s not going to happen. So we will for SURE be our own GE. Also he said it used to taken them 3 months to do the original Amicalola roof and they had gotten it down ti 1.5 months. So I�m excited to find out about the gable roof as I think that�s where a lot of the difficult comes from with these plans.

o

If anyone knows of a builder near Franklin, TN familiar with building this home please contact me at techie at comcast dot net or reply to this post. We are having a difficult time with builders too afraid to give a decent quote.

o

dwise84, I'm sure you've moved in to your new house by now, have you posted any pictures of the finished house? I would love to see them, we're considering this plan for us to build in cental Ky.

o

We have moved into our Nantahala house and LOVE it! We feel like we are at a resort everyday we wake up!!!! I tried to upload more pictures, but only could get one uploaded.

This post was edited by dwise84 on Sun, Apr 21, 13 at 22:10

o

Dwise84 I would love l see your pics. Would you mind emailing them to divinitymorgan@yahoo.com? We are currently working on the foundation of our nantahala

o

We are interested in this plan but we really need a walk through to understand the scale and size to determine if it will work for our family. Is there anyone in the Charlotte area that would be willing to let us walk through?

o

Has anyone built this house in the middle TN region or Central KY. We are considering either one of these models. We would love to talk with someone that has built this house and in this region so we can do a walk through. Please reply on this feed or feel free to send me a message - beckcrockett@aol.com

o

Has anyone built this house in the middle TN region or Central KY. We are considering either one of these models. We would love to talk with someone that has built this house and in this region so we can do a walk through. Please reply on this feed or feel free to send me a message - beckcrockett@aol.com

o

@ etr2002. I'm sure you have completed your house by now and would love to see pics. I was also wondering if it would be possible for us to see it in person. We live in West TN and are wanting to build the Nantahala Gable plan. To be able to see it in person would be awesome! My email is tanya@obryantandassoc.com
Thanks!

o

Hello,
My husband, Jim and I are leaning toward building the Nantahala model [with maybe a few variations]. We currently live in Folsom, CA but our heart is in Franklin, TN [and so is our 5 acres]. So come December early we plan to travel to TN to do a feasibility study [walkabout on our land]. We fell in love with the overall look of the Nantahala. If there is anyone in the middle TN area who has the Nantahala up and running and would be so gracious to let us have a quick peek during our upcoming visit-that would be so great [and helpful].
Thanks for any consideration,
Kathy and Jim

o

Hi any in Illinois or Missouri build this house

o

My husband and I have acquired a 4 acre lot and am in love with the Nantahala plan. We are in the process of acquiring the blueprints from G&A and getting a quote from the builder. We are located in Columbia, SC. Anyone willing to let us visit and do a walk-through? Anyone willing to post some pictures and/or comments on cost saving differences similar to the hollowed out cedar beams? This is going to be our forever home but am still trying to build a floor plan for the stages of growing children as well as when for when they're away all while staying on a budget. Very difficult!

TIA!

o

We ordered our revised house plan today. We are committed and now need to find a builder in middle TN.
We are eager to get the plans in a few weeks so we can get an idea of whether we can afford this beautiful home or will we be able to cut costs somewhere and still have the same feel. The pictures are gorgeous, but we haven't actually ever been inside this house.

To all the owners who posted pictures, you can't imagine how helpful this is. Thank you so much.

Mike and Kelly at Garrell have been the absolute best. I'm looking forward to the process now instead of nervous about it. We are planning ahead and making the house wheelchair accessible. I can't wait to see the revised plan.

o

Anyone building in Franklin, TN. We know builders that are currently building this home in Leipers Fork area. Bending Chestnut Construction ~ Brent Fox at http://bendingchestnut.squarespace.com/our-work/leipers-fork-franklin-tn-custom-home/ My wife and I are getting the Nantahala plans modified for building and would love to get in touch with any of you that can share in the experience.

Robert & Janet Taylor
(details below)

Here is a link that might be useful: Taylor Automotive Tech-Line

o

We built a hugely modified version of the Chestatee recently. I think we successfully eliminated all of the many inefficiencies of the original Garrell plan. Our lodge room is very large. We eliminated the wall between the lodge room and the kitchen. Wish I could attach more than one photo.

o

looks beautiful. Where is your refrigerator?

o

In our Garrell chestatee re-work, we scrapped the butler's pantry, changed the angle of the kitchen, and then were able to put the fridge & wall oven on the wall where the butler's pantry was.

o

We made sure (through size, style, furniture selections) that our garrell "lodge room" was a comfy lodge room that is used every day. Then we eliminated the "keeping room" as redundant, but in its place created a screen porch with nanawall access. It still is a work in process. We will acid stain the porch cement floor to minimize the "transition" (flooring) betw indoors and outdoors, and we only have temp furniture on the screen porch right now.

o

laurajazz . Was the plan as expensive to build as others have been told? Do you mind sharing your cost per sq foot? Thank you so very much for posting your photos and information. Very helpful!!

o

We are just finishing our plans on the Nantahala/Amicalola home. I am also interested in cost per sq foot. I think there are ways to decrease the cost and still get the desired look. Just trying to connect with others who have built.

o
RE: nantahala house plan - cost

The house itself cost around $610000 to build. 2800 sq ft. Single floor. 3 br, 3-1/2 bath. Our loft over the garage which
Is another bedroom -- will add another 300 sq feet with very little cost to finish. But we are not into large space -- just highly functional space. We thought the "office" in the original garrell plan was wasted space so we increased the size and it is now my library and music room. Walk in closet in master was not functional and we did not like the bathtub in the middle of the bath so we got rid of it completely. By changing the angle of the kitchen and relocating the laundry room, I got my dream pantry.

o
Chestatee river house plan

laurajazz - we are planning on doing the chestatee river plan, with some modifications. I'd love to know more about how you changed the kitchen and master area. Also, did you include the basement in your build? Where did you all build?

o

@laurajazz-
My husband and I are planning to build the Garrell Assoc. Nantahala home in the Nashville, TN area. We are going there this weekend, June 26-29, 2014 to look at lots and to visit our son, daughter in law and new grandson.

Would you be willing to share any
Tips/hints about lot/home items you wish you would or would not want to do or do again?

Also, I've never seen a picture or dimension do the master closets, laundry or the original pantry, although I love yours. Would you be willing to share photos?

Also, is there any point in time that you would be willing to show your home?
We are compiling a list of builders to interview. Any suggestions of reputable builders?

Thank you so much.

o

annawelz- I am located just north of Nashville in Bowling Green, KY. There are three versions of the Nantahala in BG and we are in the process of getting bids to build in the Fall. Our floor plan sounds similar to laurajazz, but we hope to be at a very different price point. First bid came in at $360K.

o

Our plans to build the #07330 Nantahala in Franklin, TN landed us quotes from $630k to $430K (loosing all the stone, timbers and more). Still looking for a solution or different plan. The angle of the roofline and window quotes are insane.

Here is a link that might be useful: Nantahala Cottage - Gable House Plan

o

Laura, could you possibly get me a copy of your floor plan? We are wNting to build the nantahala but are having trouble with the kitchen. I like the way yours looks but I can't visualize all of it. Thanks.

o

bump

o

Long time reader, first time poster. We are building 1/2 of the Tranquility and 1/2 of the Broadcreek plan from Garrell. The interior layout of the lodge room, kitchen , and keeping room are very similar across several plans. We did what we could to cut costs and keep the layout that we love.

o

The back of the house...

o

Thank you for posting your photos...I just soak all of the photos and information up. We are probably about 1-2 years before we begin to build, so we have lots of time to plan. What are you building? I am just wondering about price per square foot. k. I would love to see more photos. Im still waiting to see interior photos of master closet, the standard pantry, laundry area, etc. from anyone.Thank you and much luck.

o

PeachNC -

I presume you are building in NC?

I also looked for the Broadcreek plan on Garrell and couldn't find it. Do yo have a link?

Thanks!

o

We will be building in the Middle Tennessee area, more specifically, on the western side of Nashville, near Ashland City, TN. (Cumberland River area).

No, I do not have a link for the Broadcreek plan, but am interested in seeing it.

Thanks.

o

I couldn't find exactly the Garrell plan that I wanted. I contacted Garrell and found that they have nearly 50 plans that have a similar feel and look (Tranquility, Nantahala, Amicalola, etc). They e-mailed all of them to me. I got a lot of good ideas, but I still didn't find "the one." I had to spend the big bucks for changes.

Here is a link that might be useful: Broad Creek

o
RE: Nantahala House Plan

We currently live in Montgomery, AL, but plan to build the Nantahala in Guntersvill, AL. We would love to view a completed or in progress similar plan home within a 3 - 4 hour drive, if anyone is interested in allowing us to do so. Thank you so much.

o

Could someone that has built this tell me how the kitchen feels? Seems the island is kind of offset, and at odd angle. Also is the kitchen dark? Does it get enough sunlight? Thanks!

o

Just broke ground today to build the Nantahala/gable 3G plan on conventional foundation. Warning! If you live in a poor county and are applying for a construction loan, you'd better have a treasure chest of cash. Our appraisal came in much lower than the builder said we could build it. There are no comps on a custom home with this much detail and "special" materials (trusses and beams). That means when we want to sell it, we'll never get what we built it for.

o

Glad I found this forum. We are looking at plans to build in NC. Put deposit on 5 acre lot with mountain view.

Liked the harmony mt house, but $$ so we are now thinking about the Nantahala 08085. Still will be pricey but we could cut out the fancy ceiling in keeping room, the big bathtub in middle of bath, and use clapboard on the back with some windows that don't open. In addition we would like a basement unfinished and it could be 1/2 basement (for trains)

Looking for ideas and advice.
Preliminary meeting with preferred builders next Fri.

o

Closed on lot Sat. We meet with 3 preferred builders and are going to pick one we like.They all work differently. quotes were 430-540 for 08085. Builder is sending ideas. We were thinking of incorporating 09057 ideas with 08085 back. Unfinishing upstairs , 3 car garage,and do something to get bath out of middle of room. Builder says straightening out wall would lower cost.Of
course we are up more sq footage but it maybe best for us

Appreciate ideas or pictures!

o

Hello, we are finalizing our changes to the Natahala/Amocalola plans. Anyone who has or is in the process of building near the Nashville Tn area, we would love to hear/see your changes and ideas.
Michele
krunchmmm@gmail.com

o

@laurajazz

First off, thanks for sharing all your pictures and info on your recent build! The house looks beautiful.

You mention the many inefficiencies in the garrell plans. I was wondering if you could list some of them for any of us that are also looking into a modifying our floor plan? Also you said you made the lodge room larger, I was wondering how much larger you went? I love relocating the fridge, that seems like a must do for us too.

Again, thanks for sharing and congrats!

barcalounger at gmail

This post was edited by barcalounger on Thu, Nov 20, 14 at 15:18

o

PeachNC would love to see how you've modified the plans.

robert at 4door dot com

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Building a Home Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here