Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
carsonheim_gw

Window placement is making me crazy!

carsonheim
10 years ago

Howdy once again.

I'm hoping someone with a good sense for design can help me with this stupid window issue.

Our elevation has "the look" of symmetry, but it is actually 1.5 feet wider on the left side of the house for whatever reason. In placing the second floor windows, this creates an issue. The windows are equally spaced, but the one on the right side is alllll the way to the edge of the front.

On the inside, windows 2 and four are allll the way to the edges of the rooms. I think this is going to look funky inside the rooms, like "why did they place those windows so randomly on the wall???"

I've been wondering if the answer is to "group" windows 1 and 2, and windows 4 and 5, something like this... but I'm not sure how to place them on the walls.

Traditional Exterior by Cincinnati Architects & Designers RWA Architects

Can anyone weigh in and help me figure this out? :( I'm really struggling here....

Comments (7)

• mushcreek
    10 years ago

I would first see if they can make both sides the same. If you can't make the left side narrower, make the right side wider. The house looks so symmetrical that it would bother me that it isn't. It doesn't really show up except for the upstairs windows.

I think you are on the right track- move the windows closer together so that they aren't so close to the corners- inside and out. I would move the right window in until it was the same distance from the corner as the left window. Then, move the inner right hand window as close as you can and still have room for the shutters and a little siding reveal, like your pic. Then make the spacing on the inner left hand one the same. They might not come out symmetrical inside the rooms, but at least they aren't jammed into a corner.

• carsonheim
    Original Author
    10 years ago

mushcreek -- THANK YOU!

At this point there is no changing the footprint of the plan. How does this look? There is more space on the left than on the right, but I'm not sure it's all that noticeable???? Also, the inside windows will be totally acceptable like this I think.

NEW WINDOW CONFIGURATION

vs.
    OLD WINDOW CONFIGURATION

• lavender_lass
    10 years ago

Would you possibly consider one larger grouping of windows for each side, rather than two small ones? More like the first floor of you inspiration picture. Then each space could have more flexibility (centered on room or exterior) and you could even have some window seats! Just an idea :)

• ineffablespace
    10 years ago

If you look at classical architecture there is often a slight lack of perfect symmetry because the houses often started out with three bays and were expanded to five (for example). Mount Vernon has an asymmetrical window arrangement.

I like the arrangement you chose at 18:37. Leave enough room for a bit of brick to show between those shutters. Again, historically, they can touch or even overlap, but since you are planning the window placement, I would avoid that.

Also, where are the gutters/downspouts going to be? Work that out with your window and shutter location too.

• renovator8
    10 years ago

good luck with your project

This post was edited by Renovator8 on Sun, Mar 23, 14 at 8:25

• carsonheim
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks guys.

Ren8 -- would you mind weighing in on my bathroom dilemma? I really appreciate it!!!! :)

Link below

Here is a link that might be useful: bathroom issue

• carsonheim
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well, happy Thursday everyone!

Okay, so I'm pretty happy with my window arrangement. I've taken the latest version of the grouped windows and given a smidge more space between windows 1 and 2, and windows 4 and 5. I'm pretty happy with the turnout, even though if you really look, you'll see a lack of symmetry in the center portion of the 2nd floor. Nothing is perfect, LOL :)

Lavendar Lass -- I tried grouping like you mentioned, but DH didn't like the look of it. He likes the five distinct windows.

So here it is:

The interior looks much better too. Those windows shoved in the corners of the rooms on the interior were REALLY bugging me.

here's the before:

and here's the after:

Thanks for helping me work through this. I'm so grateful for the generosity of folks here on GW. :)