Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lavender_lass

Safety glass for windows and doors?

lavender_lass
12 years ago

I've read that patio doors/sliders should be safety glass, for obvious reasons. Too many accidents, with people falling backwards (especially in dining areas) so safety glass is often recommended.

I'm wondering, would it also be a good idea, for window seats/banquettes? In my plan, I have two window seats, two patio doors and a window behind the claw foot tub...so I'd like to get input on this.

At one time, I wondered if most windows were now more 'safety glass' type of construction...but the truck that hit our house, shattered one of the bay windows...it did not fall into pieces, like a windshield.

I would appreciate any suggestions/comments on this topic. Thanks in advance :)

Comments (10)

• gaonmymind
    12 years ago

Not sure about the construction of current windows. But personally I wouldn't do it, but for security reasons ...like breaking in. But that is even a stretch. It is rare for someone to hit a window so hard that they shatter it and fall out. That would take alot of force I would think. My dog has run into our patio doors before and he was more hurt than the glass...lol

• dekeoboe
    12 years ago

How close to the floor are the windows going to be? If they are less than 18" above the floor, your local code will probably require them to be tempered glass.

• beaglesdoitbetter1
    12 years ago

Yup, I was going to say the same thing. Tempered glass was required for all our window seat areas as well as for the window above the tub. It was fairly annoying b/c we added a window seat late in the game and it was $300 per window to temper the stupid thing (4 windows!)

• gbsim1
    12 years ago

In Va! code is I believe any window or door within 18" of the floor. So this included a couple of windows in our mbr sitting area in a addition to all of our french doors Also anything within so many feet of stairs and anything in a "wet" area no matter how high or small.
    We wound up with almost as many tempered as plain.
    I will be glad if it saves a terrible accident but it sure did add to our window cost!

• Brad Edwards
    12 years ago

When my stepfather was in his teens he nearly cut his entire left hand off, it cut it right to the bone. They put it on ice and were lucky to be on a military base at the time so he got instant help. He can only bend it one direction, but the doctor saved his hand.

Sliding glass door non tempered it was.

• emilymch
    12 years ago

I once ran through a non-tempered sliding glass door. (It was an interior sliding glass door, between a dining room and sun room addition.) I ended up with about 100 stitches in my leg, shoulder, and arm. Luckily all my major cuts were on one of my legs, and I didn't have any serious permanent damage, but it was still a big deal. A plastic surgeon had to stitch one of my muscles back together because the glass had cut into my shin so deep.

I'm a big fan of tempered glass. I'd use it anywhere you think there is a possibility of someone going through the glass.

• laxsupermom
    12 years ago

My BFF ran through a non-tempered glass door when she was 9. She nearly died. Her father(a doctor) held her femoral artery the whole way to the hospital. Her leg is a mess of scars, and she doesn't wear shorts ever unless the temperature gets over 100.

Tempered glass anywhere someone might go through it is well worth the money.

• millworkman
    12 years ago

Pretty much universal code these days is: any door glass or glass next to a door (sidelite, transom), confused as a door, within 18" of the floor, stair area, any glass in a next to or in a shower or tub (including shower doors, shower niche shelves, etc), window seat area (not sure of the wording on this) or anything overhead (skylite type glazing)

• lavender_lass
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you so much, for the responses! Sounds like tempered (safety) glass is the best thing to use, in these areas. Just not worth risking an accident, to save a few dollars.

• millworkman
    12 years ago

Realistically you cannot choose to not go with the Tempered Glass, I this was construction that required a permit they will not issue you a C of O with the glass not being Tempered!