Return to the Building a Home Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Land Clearing Costs Toward Down Payment?

Posted by Caglehead13 (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 31, 14 at 16:25

We recently purchased some acreage (financed at our credit union). We are paying out of pocket for the land clearing & driveway clearing & materials with a cost of approximately $10K, and it should be completed this week. Will most financial institutions allow us to use this out-of-pocket expense as part of our down payment? We plan to apply for the construction loan at the same credit union in the next 30 days.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Land Clearing Costs Toward Down Payment?

It doesn't matter what "most financial institutions" will or will not accept.

The only one that matters is the one that's funding the construction loan or the mortgage.

o

So it can vary depending on the bank. But every major bank I've spoken to will allow this as long as you have invoices, receipts, cancelled checks, etc. Some banks won't give direct credit but will allow you to put it in your contract as "paid" with the builder and that can go towards your down. But the amount down will vary a great deal too. 20-40% is what I'm finding right now, but definitely talk with your credit union and see what kind of paperwork trail they want to see. Sometimes it takes a while to get proper invoices and receipts from contractors! ;)

o

Thanks for the replies. I figured I'd have to ask them specifically, but just wondered what were others experiences in the mean time. :)

We haven't signed a contract with a builder yet. Once we decide on one, I wonder if they'd put the clearing costs in and show them as paid. The builder we are leaning towards knows we're clearing the land right now out of pocket, so he wasn't going to include that in the price he gives us. Not sure if he'd add it back in.

Our credit union requires 10% for a construction to perm loan, and we will likely put 15% down. It just dawned on me today that this might be a possibility to make more of a down payment and possibly cut out PMI.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Building a Home Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here