Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lisa51417

Front porch column ideas?

lisa51417
14 years ago

I need some ideas for our front porch columns, which support a bump-out on the level above. Our house will be a modern wedge design, and the builder has suggested pressure-treated lumber, which would be serviceable but probably not terribly attractive. The siding will be metal and the porch itself will be fairly small; about 6 x 8 max. Any ideas?

Comments (12)

• macv
    14 years ago

To successfully design part of something it is necessary to know what the rest of it looks like and what the goals and restrictions are.

• gopintos
    14 years ago

Yes not sure of the look you are talking about or going for, but with our porch, we wrapped the columns with a vinyl product. There's round, square, smooth, fluted, all kinds of things you can do.

• booboo60
    14 years ago

This website has a few to look at.....I guess your builder could probably show you samples if you asked to see some?

HTH

Here is a link that might be useful: columns

• fish7577
    14 years ago

We used structural fiberglass columns from Turncraft (DuraGlass Poly-Classic square) for our porch. They look great, but I'm not sure what you're looking for. Reasonable price (about $170) for an 8" square column that supports up to 5,000 pounds. They have other styles. Comparing it to a wood post wrapped with trim coil, it was a minimal charge for the improved look. Ours were just supporting the porch roof, so I guess you'll need to know your load requirements.

• lisa51417
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Oh, sorry, I guess I was a little vague (I forgot how many variations there are on columns). While Turncraft has a very cool website, we're actually looking for something in a more modern vein.

What I meant with my query was that I'm looking for some type of metal or wood support system that is more unusual, and would go with a totally geometric, modern, metal-clad house. Oh, I guess that's vague as well. Let's see - classic, corinthian or craftsman columns, while beautiful, are not what would go with this house. The load is not very much, but I just thought I would try throwing this out in case anyone had come across a solution that is more like a modern, commercial building would use (not so much like a traditional house).

OMG, I think I'm painting myself into a corner here . . .

• lyfia
    14 years ago

How about the metal poles that are often used to support basements. Not sure if they can be used outdoors though.

I think you could always use a regular square post and paint it to work with what you need as well. A bright color would imo look great against a metal siding.

Also you could use the metal posts that metal buildings use. Again not sure if they are outdoor proof.

• lyfia
    14 years ago

You could also do stone on the columns. Our work campus has the buildings in a modern style with metal siding and limestone.

• brickeyee
    14 years ago

Do not allow the requirement for structural support to drive the look of the columns.

Steel columns can always be used, then wrapped with just about an decor you want.

Even decorative stone gets much easier if it is not actually structural.

• barbara_g
    14 years ago

I recently visited this building and thought it was just beautiful...it's a commercial building, but maybe something would inspire you?

http://www.dadot.com/project/venues/4-h_environmental_education_center.aspx

or try:

http://www.aces.edu/4hcenter/NewRoomsandEnvironmentalCenter.php

• adam_m_robertson
    14 years ago

Just scanned through the other ideas and thought I would comment as I have done quite a bit of problem solving on contemporary buildings before.

A basic prinicipal is to make a clear decision on the style and refine this down to two possible options which could work ncely for the design.

The first is to go minimal and discreet. This could be achieved by installing a high strength steel box section with attachment clips at either end to fix it in place.

The other option in contrast to that, which could work well is to oversize the column with timber posts as discussed earlier this could be clad with with a thin sheet steel profile to match the rest of the house possibly powder coated to water seal it.

Sounds like an interesting project I will be interested to see some as built photos.

There are more ideas like this on my website www.plan-and-build-a-house.com

• porchtalk
    14 years ago

You have many different porch column options; you want even want to consider blending styles together. For lots of pictures of porch columns, styles, materials, and even a link where you can create your own style visit our website - www.front-porch-ideas-and-more.com

Here is a link that might be useful: Front Porch Ideas

• macv
    14 years ago

I don't understand how anyone could offer design advice for exterior columns without at least knowing what the house looked like.

adam_m_robertson, be very careful about joining the forum in order to post an advertisement. SPAM us again and you will get canned.