Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
periwinkle18

Would love input on laundry room layout

periwinkle18
14 years ago

Hi - long time Gardenweb member, mostly a lurker!

I feel really good about my floorplans, but my MIL wants me to configure my laundry room exactly like hers and I am not so sure. My main laundry room is upstairs; this is going to be a secondary mud room/dog room/cleaning supply storage room. Not much laundry will get done here - mainly dog laundry, pool towels, kitchen laundry. No ironing. I do want a floor to ceiling cabinet somewhere, to use as my broom closet. I want to store all of my cleaning supplies in this room. The space under the stairs will be open - we will put the dog bed in there. He likes cozy places. We were thinking about putting in a Dutch door so that we could just close the bottom part at night (our dog sleeps in his crate now, he has a tendency to get into trouble if you leave him free at night).

Any thoughts would be much appreciated! Thanks.

- periwinkle18

Comments (10)

• tkme4ard
    14 years ago

take this with a grain of salt :) I'm not a proffessional LOL but can you move the sink to the far left (away from the door) to clear open counter space? Are you bathing your dog in there as well? If you don't need the under the counter space about about leaving it open for dog dishes and food container? The space on either side of the w/d seem like they are wasted spaces. What about smooshing them to one side to open it up for better use of space? Think about what your putting what where and the best uses of space. I think a dutch door is an awesome idea.

• periwinkle18
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Don't worry, I posted this because I was aware of the wasted space!

I definitely want one, possibly two floor to ceiling cabinets. In fact, since we don't have 'lockers' (I purposely avoided this concept), I even thought about doing several floor to ceiling cabinets.

I thought about putting the washer dryer closer to the wall (near the door) since they won't be in heavy use, and putting the sink on this wall, with a hanging rack above for drip-drying bathing suits. But, I also kind of want a counter near the sink because this is where we will be feeding the dog.

Maybe put a floor to ceiling cabinet on the wall with the washer-dryer, slide the sink down, have some counter space, and another floor to ceiling cabinet? Or, just make the one near the washer dryer extra big (two doors)?

• periwinkle18
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Not bathing the dog in here, he is too big, and thanks for the compliment on the dutch door - it was my idea!!!

• megradek
    14 years ago

I would personally want the sink right next to the washer. that way if you have to soak items, or even a quick rinse, the drips wouldn't make there way onto your floor!

• allison0704
    14 years ago

Since your dog would probably be more comfortable with a door he can see through, why not something like this:

Ripped out of magazine years ago. Did not use idea in new home, but did something similar recently at DD2's new home to corral dogs when she is not home. DH built a swing-out half door with wire and plexiglass.

• athensmomof3
    14 years ago

No real thoughts here but I would suggest something I ripped out of a magazine recently for dog food storage . . . I will be incorporating it into my laundry room also. It was just a simple pull out trash can for dog food but I found some with lids that open when pulled out (by rev-a-shelf maybe)? We don't have pest problems but for some reason I would feel better if there was a lid. They come in double trash pull outs also if you have multiple pets. I have also seen stainless steel ones with removable stainless lids.

Although our dog room will be our mudroom (perhaps with a dutch door also - still thinking about it), I will be filling the dog bowl in the laundry across the hall as it has water access also. . .

• athensmomof3
    14 years ago

Also, as far as the space under the stairs goes, those things can be huge (likely at least 6 feet deep). I might consider putting a door on that under the stairs space and putting the dog bed in the open area next to it with a dutch door. You could do your broom closet under the stairs and have ample room for vacuum cleaners, buckets, mops, cleaning supplies, extra rags and old towels (which I store in a laundry basket), etc. My parents have one and it is wonderful . . . they also store the cushions for the patio furniture in there off season, as well as a folding table and chairs. . . tons of room! They have a narrow shelf along one side for cleaning stuff (furniture polish, floor wax, floor cleaner, brass cleaner, upholstery cleaner - all the stuff you accumulate) with a broom and mop holder under it. The other side has the vacuum cleaner and the carpet cleaner with plenty of room to walk between.

I have never thought a cabinet broom closet would be big enough for me, and your laundry is not too big as it is. . . . that would be taking up lots of space!

Also, I have a great cordless Hoover Platinum vac which I use multiple times a day (for multiple kids and dog), so I would want a broom closet where I could have a plug for the charger for that (which I highly recommend!!!)

• periwinkle18
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I was thinking about putting the dutch door as the main door - not on the door under the stairs - but this thread has really gotten me thinking on uses for that space under the stairs!

You are right, athensmom, it is a lot of space to devote to a sleeping area for a dog, when he would be just as happy sleeping anywhere in that room. I love the idea of utlizing that space more efficiently. I also love the idea of putting his dog food in one of those pull out trash sets, with a lid.

So - if I put the dog in the room at night, where would I put him (he is a large golden retriever)?

• athensmomof3
    14 years ago

It looks like there is a lot of space under the stairs which is not being utilized and that your architect has created a room instead of leaving the whole area open? Am I right? You could leave the area to the right as a closet with doors and leave the area to the left (under the stairs where it starts to slope down a little) for the dog maybe? My parents under the stairs closet (and mine) goes back under the landing. You have to stoop to get back there but it is a fine place for things you don't use often, like card tables, etc.

Even if not at full ceiling height, it would be tall enough for the dog and for you to get back there to clean the bed, etc.

It is a little hard for me to picture what he has drawn so I may be totally off base!

• ncamy
    14 years ago

Ummm... I responded to this thread once earlier, but it's not showing up. So I'll try again.

Have you considered stacking your washer and dryer? What I would do is stack the WD and put to the left of the sink. Then to the right of the sink I would make a drip dry hang area. I would use the entire area under the stairs closet for storage and broom closet. That would leave an entire wall of counter on the left hand side of the laundry room which would be great for folding and organizing the pool towels, etc. I would leave a section under the counter open for the dog bed. The rest of the cabinets could house a pull out bin for dog food and a stack of drawers for storage, especially pet related stuff like heartworm medicine, etc.