Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chewer87

Floor Plan Suggestions please :)

Chewer87
10 years ago

Hi all,

First post from me.. i'm looking to build a single story extension on my house.. I have one or two ideas, which I've drawn up - but i'm just looking for input before we make a final decision and submit the plans.

The primary goal of this extension is to add a bathroom (at the moment the current (upstairs) bathroom is pretty small - it has a double shower cubical and no bath - but at the same time, some extra space would be useful.

There's a baby on the way - so a second living room / play room would make a lot of sense.

At the moment, there is no real storage space - upstairs there are 2 reasonable sized bedrooms with their own cupboards, and one small cupboard room for towels which has been built into the bathroom space - so at the moment there is no laundry room or anything like that - having space for that would be useful.

Obviously with it only being 2 bedrooms - we would probably consider having a bed-settee in the second living room / toy room for any visitors.

If you have any suggestions on better (or just different) ways of laying it out, please say :)

Any input on what's good and what's bad is welcome...

Thanks

Comments (8)

• Chewer87
    Original Author
    10 years ago

First plan

• Chewer87
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Second plan

• kirkhall
    10 years ago

We're going to need better descriptors. I'm not sure what we are looking at.
    What do you currently have? (draw it out on graph paper to scale, and take a pic)
    What are you considering?
    What are the limitations? (is this a condo? duplex? rowhouse? small house?)
    Who will be living here?
    And, where is here (general geographic area is helpful--S US? NE? PNW? Australia? S. Africa?....)

• chicagoans
    10 years ago

I agree with kirkhall that more info would help, but for starters I prefer your second idea. I would NOT want a bathroom door opening immediately from the kitchen. Noises, odors, and so awkward if you do have visitors for them to have to walk through multiple public rooms on their way to/from the shower.

Also idea 2 lets you vent your cooktop immediately outside (I think that's an outside wall) which is nice. And you can extend the counter with the cooktop to the wall, giving you more storage and work space.

• Chewer87
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the responses... bit more info..

What we currently have is in the first picture - if you compare that to the second/third picture you should be able to see the difference - the old house is in the lower right corner of the new plans.

At the moment the downstairs of the house consists of 2 rooms, a front door leading outside and a door leading to the back garden, and that's pretty much it!

There are no real limitations - the plan is to make it as big as the new plan drawings - as a guideline, I think that's 10ft out to the rear, and an additional 13ft to the left side. In terms of room layout - the extension can be one room (left side and rear) or potentially split up as much as required.

Its a semi-detached house, so building on the right hand side is not possible - an extension on the front is not viable either.

At the moment, its just me here, but the plans are for the Girlfriend to move in, and we also have a baby on the way (due in August!) :)

Here is Wales, UK!

Give me 5 mins and i'll add some more pictures to help you understand whats going on - i'll include some google maps views aswell.

• Chewer87
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here's the google satellite view - I've marked the current house with red lines, and marked out the planned extension with blue lines.

• Chewer87
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This is the latest plan - I've taken on board the comments about the bathroom opening in to the kitchen, and moved that around and we now have 2 doors between the Bathroom and Kitchen. I've also marked the extension area with blue lines, so you can compare it with the other pictures above.

I cant think of any other ways to improve it from this latest idea, but if anyone thinks they can please say :)

- the advantages I can see at the moment:

- Large 1st living room
    - Bathroom is not directly next to the Kitchen
    - If you were to use the second living room as a bedroom (even temporarily) - you basically have an on-suite bathroom
    - Again, if you were to use the second living room as a bedroom, you could still use the main living room and kitchen without going through that room.
    - Utility room, to keep all the loud stuff out of the kitchen! (washing machine / dryer)

Any ideas or thoughts please say!

Thanks again

• Chewer87
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here's a better floor plan of the current layout.