Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cas81611

John Tee Steamer Point

Katie S.
10 years ago

Our family is planning a new build in a few years, and we love the traditional feel of this plan. We are planning on uncovering the back deck/ porch to let in more light, and eliminating one bathroom upstairs. We will be on nine acres in Virginia, living in a small bungalow while we plan and save. Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

This post was edited by cas81611 on Thu, Mar 13, 14 at 16:00

Comments (44)

• kirkhall
    10 years ago

(the 2 floorplans posted are the same, and the main floor only) Are you wanting feedback on the entire plan or just main floor?

I like it. It is simple. I am not sure how I'd feel about walking to the facilities (bath/laundry) when going to my master bedroom... but if that doesn't bother you, this main floor seems livable at a glance.

• Katie S.
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Oops, thank you kirkhall. Edited post to include 2nd floor.

• kirkhall
    10 years ago

Well, the second floor has more to comment on (even as simple as it is...)

There is a large amount of wasted hall space outside the "office" . Would you even want to enclose the office with that top wall?

Also, every room has a bath (I don't see the necessity, but okay). But, what shall a person using the office use? They'll have to go through someone's room, or go downstairs, to use the bathroom?

I think there is room, should you want to, to put a (second) laundry in upstairs to take care of all the kid-generated laundry. It would probably also be possible to put in a laundry chute from office to laundry--depending on the regulations of your municipality.

It appears the top right bedroom has a wider bath (but is a smaller bedroom). I'm not sure the value in that. You might make it a more standard width bath and make the bedroom a little larger. Also, consider how you'll place a bed in this room. I think this room has the most room for improvement.

Also, the top left bedroom has 2 closets, kind of. I'd just make one, or do built in bookshelves?

Plumbing for these 2 bedrooms will likely be heard from eating space/great room too. Something to remember as you plan your insulation and sound-deadening

The upper master with the too shallow walk in closet won't actually function well as a walk in closet. You might also be better, in this situation, to change that to a reach in.

As I said, upstairs as a lot of room for improvement--more than the downstairs.

It isn't a throw-away plan though. I think you can work with it.

• Katie S.
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I also don't understand the bath for every bedroom. I was planning on having the top two share a jack and jill (I have two girls), and leaving the larger bedroom with a private bath, either for guests or the possibility of another baby.

I don't get the second little closet in the upper left bedroom either.

I was not planning on enclosing the office- was thinking of it as a homework area for the kids where they don't have too much privacy with their computers. My husband and I just use laptops and don't need a dedicated adult office space. But you are right about the bathroom access issue. Maybe I should do a hall bath instead of jack and jill?

Like the idea of upstairs laundry- maybe a stackable unit in a closet? I do feel that the master is in general very removed from the upstairs, which I have mixed feelings about, since my kids are 2 1/2 and 9 months. Will not be building for at least a year, though.

• annkh_nd
    10 years ago

I would definitely do a hall bath upstairs, and I like the idea of leaving the office area open - in my family, that would be board game space, for sure!

I like the abundance of windows upstairs.

Main floor - I don't understand all the little closets by the kitchen. Pantry, for sure, but why so chopped up?

I understand the MB entrance not being off the great room, but the second hallway is wasted space. I'm not sure how to rectify it, though. The WIC would have tons more hanging space if the door was at the top, toward the bedroom instead of the bath, with hanging rods down both sides. It's probably too wide, but I'm not sure without dimensions. I wouldn't want a window in the closet - clothes fade - but I understand that it looks right from the outside.

With the wide porches front and back, you won't get a lot of light in the living spaces. I would try to put solar tubes through some of the closets upstairs to bring in natural light.

• Katie S.
    Original Author
    9 years ago

annkh- Am just now seeing your response. I think the pantry is divided into two smaller pantries and a desk area with a bookshelf on the side for cookbooks. I would like to make one of the pantries a stacked wall oven/ microwave.

I actually like the window in the closet.

The double hallway is definitely unusual, but I am starting to understand the reasons for a lot of privacy in the master suite.

Re: solatubes- I did not know that they could be run through a closet to a lower floor! I see online that this is possible. Is this something that you have seen done in person? Thank you so much for the idea.

• pixie_lou
    9 years ago

I've never been a fan of closets that you have to walk thru the bathroom to access. I know the trend nowadays is the separate toilet closet. But I still want a bit of privacy while showering. Wouldn't want my hubby walking thru while I'm showering.

The whole access to the master looks like a maze. I'm not sure I understand the door to the hallway to access the powder room. And that open area in front of the master looks like wasted space. Not sure how to fix it, but I'd be tempted to just put the door to the master opposite the door to the powder room. Maybe if you play with the closet you could some how make that usable space in the master.

When I look at the plan, I think about standing in the foyer, about to leave, when you realize that you forgot a scarf from your closet. That's a long walk with lots of twists and turns.

• rstill421
    9 years ago

I am actually building this house. Here are a few of the changes we have made to suit our needs. The room off the kitchen: Took away desk and bookshelves. Replaced with shoe cubbies and hooks, as well as added a door to the porch with side steps. Basically utilizing as a mud room and pantry area. Upstairs, instead of using the smaller closet in the back left bedroom, we extended the hallway closet for more central storage space. We changed front left bedroom bathroom a bit so that entry is from the hallway. We extended upstairs office to be flush with stairs. We considered closing it off completely, but I like the idea of having the hallway with window to see out that side of the house. Also, it would have just made it an odd, long and narrow room. We added a closet to that room. As of now, we plan to use it as a small toy room for our 3 kids, but may eventually use as a small guest room, or possibly a 5th bedroom if we decided to have another child. By making the left front bedroom's bathroom open to the hall, it could easily be shared by the office/5th bedroom if necessary. We took away covered deck, and are replacing with a patio area. Also, the master closet's window is a faux window. Yes, we agree there is a little oddness in the vestibule area downstairs, but ultimately like the layout. We are actually building this house out of brick. I searched all over for completed steamer point house plans without any luck. We will be breaking ground in about 3 weeks, so I will gladly post pics of our progress. Bc it will be brick, it will look very similar to John Tees Abberley Lane. We are also adding a detached garage. Hope this helps. And I will be looking forward to any other advice on this houseplan. Two brains ( or several) work better than one! :-)

• robin0919
    9 years ago

Are you still walking thru the half bath to get to the Mbed?

• Katie S.
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Rstill I would really love any pictures you can post once construction gets underway. Where are you building?

One builder I am working with has said that when he calculates the square footage of the first floor it is coming in 240 sq ft fewer than what is listed on the website.. I am not sure of the dimensions of some of the rooms so was wondering if your builder had noticed this.

Are you saying that the plans call for a faux window in the closet or that you changed it to that? Your mudroom idea is good. Can't decide whether I am willing to part with the desk. I love this plan and am so excited for you and to see pictures!

• roxannestill
    9 years ago

You do not walk through the half bath to get to the master. the vestibule area makes complete sens once you see it in person. It prevents guests from seeing inside your master bedroom if your door was left open, it also prevents a visual from the laundry room door and blocks off noise from laundry room and family room.

• Katie S.
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Beautiful! Thanks so much for updating. The brick and trim colors look great. Would love to see any interior pictures if you get the chance.

• kylemaxwell
    8 years ago

Roxanne, love the house! We are considering building this plan. Would you mind sharing the price range of this home? If you would rather email--kylemaxwell@me.com. Thank you so much.

• roxannestill
    8 years ago

• roxannestill
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Pic above is skewed for some reason. If you click on it, it will upload in original format. Was just looking back at this thread and realized I had a pic of the kitchen on my phone. I have since gotten chairs. Will post more when I get a chance.

• stacy_bunch
    8 years ago

We are considering building this plan. Please post more pictures, I would love to see them!

• Katie S.
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    I love how you were able to work in a wall oven. Did you move the windows on either side of the range to be further apart? Love the cabinet color. Yes please post more pics when you can! We hope to order the plans soon and finally get started.
  • roxannestill
    8 years ago

Yes! We did rework the windows. I'll post more!

• roxannestill
    8 years ago

• stacy_bunch
    8 years ago

LOVE your decorating style! Is there anything you would change if you could build it again? Are there any areas of the house that feel to cramped? I'm concerned about the "office" upstairs. I am thinking about just making it storage.

• roxannestill
    8 years ago

Stacy, I love everything about it. We modified several things on the plan to suit our family. I think I have most of it listed above. The upstairs office.... We had no need for. We pulled that room out farther towards the hallway, added a closet, and made it a fourth upstairs bedroom (currently being used as a toy room). We replaced the downstairs desk area off the kitchen with built in bench and shoe cubbies and a small utility closet. We put a door there instead of a window and call that the mud room. It's our personal side entrance into the house. We feel we have no wasted space whatsoever with the changes.

• roxannestill
    8 years ago

Because we do not have a formal living room not a bonus room, the square footage is of much use in every room. All rooms are very spacious and comfortable. The master is the perfect size.

• roxannestill
    8 years ago

• roxannestill
    8 years ago

• roxannestill
    8 years ago

• roxannestill
    8 years ago

• roxannestill
    8 years ago

• roxannestill
    8 years ago

• roxannestill
    8 years ago

• Katie S.
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Roxanne, these pictures are so helpful (and beautiful). I am definitely stealing the mudroom idea. So happy to hear that you love the house. Yours is so elegant and warm. I feel like this house is so traditional, but just different enough to not be cookie cutter. Thank you so so very much for posting these!
  • roxannestill
    8 years ago

Hope this helps.

Katie S. thanked roxannestill
  • wifemothergoddess
    8 years ago

Roxanne, would you mind sharing the total kitchen width and also how much space did you leave between cabinets and the island? It looks like a good comfortable size kitchen, not too big or too small. Thank you for sharing your photographs. You have a lovely home.

• stacy_bunch
    8 years ago

Thanks for all the pictures, this really helps a lot. I love all extra details like the oval windows, floors and molding/crown. The foyer looks huge and the dining room is beautiful. I love everything being so open. Your home is perfect, thanks for sharing!

• roxannestill
    8 years ago

Stacy, the foyer is large.

wifemothergoddess.. We left 4 ft between the island and the cabinets and it is very spacious. The island is 5x7. The houseplan calls for columns between the kitchen and family room, but we preferred not to have them, and it helps give more space for the kitchen table.

• roxannestill
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I will get back with you on the kitchen measurements. I want to say 16x22

• Riverfrontview
    8 years ago
    roxannestill- Hi there I really appreciate your photos and input about your house and the progress. We are about to build this house, but with white siding, black shutters, possibly a partial metal roof, for a farmhouse look. (We are building on our family farm which is also riverfront). How is the width of the great room working for you? We are considering pushing the wall to be flush with Master to widen the great room for more seating room. Did you go with 10 ft ceilings? Does it seem harder or more expensive to heat and cool bc of higher ceilings? We are considering 9 ft ceilings for that reason, not sure yet. What countertops in kitchen did you decide on? TIA
  • roxannestill
    7 years ago

Sorry so late getting back to you! I'm attaching photos. We went with 10' ceilings. I would highly suggest keeping g them. That is a great idea to push out the living room. It would only take the symmetry away from the fireplace. Just something to consider. We were drawn to the plan bc of the farmhouse look. We are from SC, and just naturally drawn to southern style white houses and black shutters. Somehow along the way we decided to go with brick instead. I would love to see your home completed! I used Carrara throughout the house except for one bathroom. Here are pics my builder posted on their website prior to our move in date. Where are y'all building? I'd be happy to help if you have any questions.

http://www.magnoliacustomhomesofsc.com/portfolio.cfm?id=9

• roxannestill
    7 years ago

• roxannestill
    7 years ago

There are great pictures of every room on that link.

• Michael Gibson
    7 years ago
    Riverfrontview did you end up building the house with white siding and a metal roof? We are about to start construction in January. Thanks!
  • Michael Gibson
    5 years ago
    Similar house
  • madisoneshaw
    4 years ago

Hello. A few years later... did anyone else end up building this house? I have studied the plans and looked at the photos I could find. Wondering if anyone ever built the house with white hardiboard/metal roof.

Thanks!

• mel52175
    3 years ago

Is the office big enough to hold couch and tv for kids hangout room?