Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
laurensmom21_gw

back again! please take a look at this plan

laurensmom21
10 years ago

Hi all! Well, I've been mulling over a few things and this is what I've most recently come up with. If you haven't been following along for the last 4 years, here's a short review:

10 acres of pasture in IL
would like 2 story approx. 3000 sqft or under plus basement
need 3 bedrooms/1 bath upstairs; main down
almost forever home (at least for the next 15-20 years)
we are building/gc ourselves so need something easy & affordable
3 kiddos: 10, 8, 6

Ext. idea (center gable, but with much smaller porch)

Farmhouse Exterior by Millbrook Architects & Designers Crisp Architects

I like this porch too:

Traditional Exterior by Nashville Architects & Designers Norris Architecture
we will be spending most of our time in the back on the screen porch/garage area so that's why I need lots of ext doors. I envision grilling on the deck behind the dining/family area, basketball hoop off the garage.

We will also put a bonus room above the garage to finish at a later date for my art studio. I would ideally like separate stairs to that, but do you think just using the main stair would be ok? I don't want to add any more sq. footage! This plan as drawn right now is right at 2100 I think and I still need to add the 3 beds/1 bath upstairs.

Oh, and the main thing that I don't like so far is that I would really prefer for the half bath to be a full. See anyway to squeeze that in?

thanks again for all your help! one of these days I'm actually GOING to build! :)

Comments (22)

• kirkhall
    10 years ago

(Why do you want the half bath to be a full?)
    Ordinarily, having a full bath is handy for when/if anyone becomes temporarily disabled and unable to go up and down stairs. OR, if you have a lot of muddy boys who you want to wash up/shower before they go any further in the house.

In your case, you have a full Master bath on main, and your powder isn't located adjacent to any major exterior doors. In fact, it seems perfectly acceptable to be a half bath, imo.

So, I'm curious as to your reasoning.

As to the plan, I think that the foyer seems oversized in comparison to the livingroom/great room space.

• lyfia
    10 years ago

- powder room - don't think it meets code clearances at it's current dimensions unless you go with a toilet that doesn't stick out far and find one that really hugs the wall with its offset. Narrows down your choices a lot

- remove the jog on the right side of the tub and give it back to the other room. It doesn't make sense to me to have it there.

- swing on the door to the toilet room should be out

- The left master closet isn't wide enough to be a walk in. Hanging clothes take up 24" of space. Better to make it a reach in and widen the 37" hallway to allow space for two people to get ready at the same time.

- not sure what you have that is dividing the dining from the great room, but it makes it hard for anybody to walk around and you're not going to want to have the sofa that close to the fireplace - you can barely squeeze in to get to the built-ins. If trying to open one you can't. Better to take it out and share that space to walking then making the dining and great room cramped.

- the kitchen - I would post it on the kitchen forum, but as it is that island isn't in a good position to do anything on it. A prep sink might help. 5 people in a straight line isn't very conducive to conversation. It will be a bit tight to walk through there if people are sitting there too.

- the entry to the master looks like it would be tight to move any large furniture in.

If you re-arranged the master closet, master bath, den, and foyer area, and you should be able to get a 5x7 full bath in.

You can make the foyer narrower by 2ft and you would gain 32 sq ft. You have a lot of space devoted to the foyer, which doesn't seem like it will be used that much.

Why don't you have windows on the left side of the house? You're on 10 acres so can't be a privacy thing. I would want as much light and possibility of cross breezes as possible.

• laurensmom21
    Original Author
    10 years ago

thanks for your responses!

To answer a few questions - I'd like to make the powder a full for when I have guests stay over, then they can use that bath. Although we're hoping to put a full bath & bedroom in the basement for them, I'm not expecting that to get done right away.

That thing between the dining & living room is just an idea I was thinking about. Since that space seems kinda wasted, I was thinking of putting a buffet/cabinet there with posts on either side sorta like this picture. That way it divides the space a little and gives more storage, plus space to use for homework or entertaining, whatever. Not sure, just an idea.

like this gray cabinet:

[Contemporary Living Room[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/contemporary-living-room-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_718~s_2103) by Richmond Kitchen & Bath Designers KDW Home/Kitchen Designworks

How would you reduce the foyer size? I really don't like narrow foyers, but I know I can probably cut some space here. I might try to re-layout the den/master bath areas to see if I can get something else. I'm just trying to stay within this same amount of sq ft and not add too many corners.

I'm trying to leave room on either side of the master tub to build some shelves, sorta like this:

[Beach Style Bathroom[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/beach-style-bathroom-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_712~s_2110) by Southport Architects & Designers Austin Patterson Disston Architects

As to windows on the left side of the house, I just haven't had a chance to add any yet - good catch! I was thinking of some high square windows above the vanity in the bath and windows flanking the bed in the master.

thanks again! would love to hear some more input - as to cost to build... do you think this plan would be fairly affordable? I know you don't know the upstairs and rooflines/etc... but is there something else I can do to keep costs down?

• bpath
    10 years ago

If you extend the roof over the back porch, you'll have a place to put the patio furniture and toys when bad weather threatens, as well as some shade.

• lyfia
    10 years ago

I understand the space in the foyer and wanting it not to be cramped, but it is expensive to not use it for regular living space vs. having it as hallway space. 6ft wide in the opening is to me a bit much for wanting to save sq ft.

Well adding that thing between dining and living wasn't in a space where it was wasted space. It was in a space that was shared walking space. By adding it you have now created the need for two walking paths and essentially doubled the space you need in addition to the space the divider takes up and it is clear on the plan that this is making both your dining and great room be cramped.

Do you really need the shelves on both sides of the tub? Is it worth it to have it and make the den shape odd. To dust and reach things in there you have to step into the tub, unless it is right on the edge.

This post was edited by lyfia on Fri, Mar 14, 14 at 10:02

• laurensmom21
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I thought about extending the roof over the back, but I'm concerned about making the great room dark. I really want some nice sunlight through those windows (as they will face south/west), so that's why I didn't put the screen porch back there. What do you think? I'm also not sure about the ceiling height of that room. I definitely do not want 2 story ceiling, but was thinking of vaulted with maybe some clerestory windows?

as to the foyer, I was hoping to put a small table or bench somewhere. These dimensions are all subject to change once I hand this over to our draftsman. I'm just trying to get as much worked out now, so he doesn't have to do too much. We've already paid 3 architects and hubby is at his wits end and not wanting to put anymore $$ into plans...

thanks!

• lyfia
    10 years ago

I can understand not to want to spend more on the plans. Just need to consider if something is a have to have when considering the space you are using vs. what makes sense and the cost. Either increase the sq ft or remove a particular feature.

I chopped the floor plan up to show what you could potentially do in the foyer and ended up just placing stuff in the bathrooms. It is not perfect as it was just meant as a sketch, but trying to uncramp some of the spaces.

The foyer, kitchen, mudroom, laundry, and master bedroom seemed to be the least cramped areas and of those only the kitchen will see a lot of use where you actually need the space. With only one dining area (island in the kitchen doesn't count as five people sitting in one line doesn't make for good conversation) I figure you need to be able to move around. Especially with all the doors there too so lots of traffic.

• Naf_Naf
    10 years ago

I like what lifya did but is that shower going to be custom? ($$$). I'd reorganize shower, closet and toilet area.

A few comments:

I like the placement of the screened or covered porch.
    You show an unnecessarily complicated roof.
    The circulation/flow could be improved.
    Make garage a simple rectangle (no closet bumps).
    There is a lack of congruity. Proportions are off.
    I like your elevations (flipped) and yes, it could look very similar with the floor plan you have.

• annkh_nd
    10 years ago

The tub in the master wastes a lot of space in an already huge bathroom. I'm not crazy about lyfia's plan - I don't think I'd want to go so far to get to the closet, but the toilet should be as close to the bedroom as possible. And you'd lose the window on the front (currently over the tub). There's a better plan, I just don't see it yet!

OP, you want to make a full bath for guests - but where will they sleep? In the den? It seems out of proportion to make space for a full bath, when it won't be used after a couple of years. If I was staying at your house, it wouldn't bother me to go upstairs to use the shower, as long as I had a potty nearby!

I'm not wild about the opening from the foyer to the kitchen. I'd like to see that closed off - and put your foyer bench in front of the window.

What's on the left wall of the kitchen - narrow cabinets? You may not need that much storage space. I think I'd square up the island, so you can have seating on two sides - or even round off one corner (so the island looks like a 1/4 pie). You'll have to see what the clearance is. The problem with that is it leaves you with wasted space between the kitchen and dining (depending on how big your table is).

How high are your ceilings? Does the stairway have to make a turn? If you can straighten it out, you can give more space to the den (move the wall a few feet into the foyer). The closet can back up to the powder room - I'm thinking since the family will be using the garage door mostly, that coat closet will be primarily for guests. If the stairway has a railing, it will feel a lot more open then with the closet there, as you've shown.

• lyfia
    10 years ago

I have a question about your stairs. The ones going up from the foyer, couldn't you just make closet space under those unless the basement stairs turn under them. Otherwise that will be just wasted space. also are the basement stairs open.

There is still plenty of space for a bench under the window by the door or a table.

naf_naf - I just threw the stuff in there. It still needs lots of work for sure. I'm curious what you mean with custom shower? Around here even the spec house builders are doing all custom except for the shower pans. Tile and glass that is. Costs are slightly more or in some cases the same as buying a fiberglass shower unit, but looks so much better.

• Oaktown
    10 years ago

Hi laurensmom21,
    Sorry to hear you've been through so many architects. Sounds like you're getting a lot of good help on this thread.
    Just wanted to throw something else out there -- reading your "wants" list I thought of the linked floorplan that we looked at way back when. There are some aspects of this plan that definitely could benefit from changes (such as the way the front porch terminates) but it is 4 BR, 3.5 BA, master down, simpler roof line, seems to have much on your list (but no downstairs den), under 2500 ft2.
    Good luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: Stonebridge cottage

• laurensmom21
    Original Author
    10 years ago

thanks for all the feedback - it is great! Although I tend to waaaay over analyze things and I'm trying not to do that anymore :)

why do you think my current roof is complicated? what can I do to make it un-complicated? I thought since my number of corners are fairly small, the roof would be fairly simple?

I did end up taking out the closet bumpouts in the garage - hubby didn't like those.

lifya - thanks for taking the time to do that! I'll have to think on it some more. I like where you put the guest bath, but I'll have to rework the master somehow...

I do need basement stairs and I would prefer them to be closed I think to reduce heating but I'm open to that... not sure, but foyer ceiling will be 9 ft and great room may be vaulted or 9 ft. How much space do I need for a run of straight stairs?

We will do all the tiling ourselves, so shower will probably be 4x5' or 4x4...

yes, for now guests will have to sleep in the den (not ideal!). I'm also thinking of my 3 kiddos as teenagers with only 1 bathroom upstairs. Maybe someone could use the full bath downstairs if needed? I don't know...

Yes, those are narrow cabinets in the kitchen - either pantry or dish display case. I have tons of jadeite from my Grandma that I want to display somewhere.

The island is 10 ft as drawn but I will probably make it 8 ft. The stools are just thrown on there - we won't really converse there. Kids will eat there primarily though...

couch in front of the built in - yes, it's tight I may move it back some. However those built ins won't be opened much. The tv will be in the built-in near the window so I want the couch close to that and close to the window to have a nice sunny spot to curl up :)

oaktown - thanks for posting that plan. I do like it however we need the great room space to be in the back of the house. It is nice though and the sq footage was great!

• Naf_Naf
    10 years ago

The roof you show (see dashed lines) is complicated. In reality it could be very simple. I guess what I meant is that looks like you are showing the wrong roof. Can you see all those valleys and hips dashed on the plan?

• laurensmom21
    Original Author
    10 years ago

oh, ok yes thank you! Disregard all that - that's from the drawing software I was using. I can't figure out how to adjust the roof (or build a second floor for that matter) I just use it to layout the first floor :) So hopefully the elevation can be similar to a simple farmhouse with a center gable.

• lyfia
    10 years ago

Oh on the stairs my question was are there any stairs underneath the ones going up from the foyer besides where it crosses the basement stairs. If not that is a great place to put a storage closet to not waste the sq footage.

So you want to sit 2.5 ft from the TV? The seat nearest looks to be that close based on your dimensions.

You were worried about a cramped foyer that could be reduced by a couple of feet as is and still not feel cramped, yet you don't care that you are crowding the built-in and that will look odd?

BTW you either have to get a smaller sectional or remove your divider to have space to walk there if you pull the sectional out further. Might just have to forgo any seating on the side parallel to the divider and just have a sofa against the windows to allow walking space. A chair might fit in that space if on a petite scale.

Anyways did another option. It does still have some wasted hall space, but got you a more functional closet and more separation from the bathroom noise. I did have to reduce the master size though, but it is still a comfortable size for sleeping. Also changed the shape of the den.

• okpokesfan
    10 years ago

How are you supposed to enter the shower in the master bath?

• laurensmom21
    Original Author
    10 years ago

lyfia, thanks for the drawing but I really don't want to reduce my bedroom size. I'd prefer to have a larger master than a larger den.

For the stairs, I'm not really sure I understand... I assumed the basement stairs would be under the stairs going up?

Can anyone tell me how many ft I need for a straight run of stairs from a 9 ft first floor to an 8 ft second floor?

thanks again everyone!

• Naf_Naf
    10 years ago

You need 14'-4" for a straight stair that has 16 risers if your firt floor is 9' H. and you are using 11 7/8" joists. That does not include a landing .

Question for you, Laurensmom:
    The plan that you posted, is there anything that you would like different?

• laurensmom21
    Original Author
    10 years ago

naf - thanks for the stair info, I appreciate it! As far as the plan, that's a good question! I feel like I started this house search a completely different person - wanting all the bells and whistles, tons of character, nooks & crannies, shingle-style home, cedar shakes, etc... I am a creative person and love architecture and interior design. I have spent SO much of my life searching for that 'perfect' plan. Now, 4 years later - I really don't care anymore. I just want to build something that's not ungodly expensive. It's taken me this long to learn that it's just a house. It's not going to be the end of the world if I don't get everything exactly that I want. My kids are growing up too fast and I want them to be able to enjoy this house!

So with that said, I think the plan I drew up is fine. I just want to make the most out of the space. Some people may be fine with narrow foyers and spaces, but I have that now and it drives me nuts! I am going to try to draw up another master/den version, but I need to just make a final decision and go with it!

thanks again for your input :)

• laurensmom21
    Original Author
    10 years ago

ok, here's another option I came up with. This has the master in the front and the study in the back. I think I like this option a little better because the study will get tons of great light (south/east). I really don't care how much light the master gets....

what do you guys think of this option? It's about the same sq. footage. Do you see any glaring issues? Also, should I push that study wall back to be flush with the great room to take out that corner? Or would that make the back exterior look funny? I want tons of windows in the study, kinda like a sun room.

what costs more - sq. footage or corners? Like I could bump the laundry room wall out to the kitchen wall too, but then that adds sqft...

thanks for all your help!

• Naf_Naf
    10 years ago

I see you alredy moved on from your original plan. I guess I am late to show what I did but I am posting it anyway, maybe you can find a couple of ideas there.
    The issue I see with the new version is that you are getting away from a simple shape ($$$). That will make the roof more expensive.

What do you guys think?

Good luck!
    See attached PDF

Here is a link that might be useful: LaurensMom Home

• laurensmom21
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I am bumping this up to get some input on Naf's drawing. What do you guys think of this:

I'm not sure I love the stairs like that, but I'm not sure how else to put them? thanks everyone!