Return to the Building a Home Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Do you think it will fit?

Posted by gingerjenny (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 15, 12 at 15:07

I'd love to put some built in shelves behind the toilet in the powder room. I'm not sure if they will fit. What do you think?

They don't have to be very deep. More for decorative purposes

Photobucket

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Do you think it will fit?

It looks great! What is the depth of your powder room?

o

It wasn't measured on the mock plan but i'm guessing its about 6 1/2 feet based on the other room sizes. the walk in closet is 10 deep.

o

As long as the shelves are no deeper than the toilet tank how could there be any issue besides esthetics?

o

It will work. You will need at least 5 feet. With your in-swinging door, it will feel tighter than if it were a pocket. Or, you could build it IN to the wall behind the toilet, rather than bumping the toilet xfar from the wall.

I think Brickeye is thinking it would hang above the toilet. But, I think you want it built IN, like your picture.

o

Building it into the wall instead of pushing the wall out is a great idea.

Another is to change that door to a pocket door so that you will have the illusion of more space.

o

Your concern is the vent stack in the wall behind the toilet.

o

Have that wall built with 2x6 or 2x8 instead of 2x4. This would take a couple of inches from the closet but will give you room for the shelves. The area for the shelves would need to be framed the same as a window. You could put 6-8" deep shelves.

o

Standard rough in for closet flange is 12" to the center. Have your plumber rough it in at 12" + the depth of the shelving unit you intend to have built.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Building a Home Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here