Return to the Building a Home Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What size lighting?

Posted by Homeblessings (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 31, 14 at 14:29

I'm curious what size lighting you are purchasing for your homes particulary ceiling fixtures in large bedrooms/livingrooms. The formula seems to be add the width and the length of the room together and that will equal the diameter in inches for the fixture. This gives me some really big fixtures 26"-32". It is hard to find ceiling fixtures over 18" in width, especially reasonablely priced ones. Is everyone following these rules? Would a 16" or 18" ceiling fixture look super small and out of poportion in a 16X14 or a 13 X15 sq ft room? Our ceiling height is 10 feet on 1st floor, and 9 ft on 2nd floor. If you have any pictures of rooms with the dimensions and light fixtures I'd love to see them.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What size lighting?

I think alot of it depends on your style. I've heard that rule also, and personally think it's silly. Most large rooms need more than 1 light fixture anyway. For a great room, 2 or 3 smaller fixtures lined up with the furniture placement (sofa, dining table, etc.) works much better. But I'm not sure that is a cost saving measure. For bedrooms and family rooms, I still like a smaller fixture and sconces. It's just cozy. Some people like to use alot of recessed lighting instead of large expensive chandeliers. Kitchens are a whole different category and I'm still struggling with that one. I love the look of some large fixtures as focal points (large lanterns in an entry for example), but often I find them to be ostentatious if they are too large.

Although, take my thoughts with a grain of salt... I'll walk into a decorated Restoration Hardware with their ginormous lights and come home ready to fit them in our build! They do look awfully cool. But I've seen lovely homes do a more understated approach to good lighting with great results, and that is what I'm hoping to mimic.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Building a Home Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here