Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aggie9597

Update: Elevations, Floorplan, Comments?

aggie9597
15 years ago

Hi, all!

Many of you were instrumetal in helping us design our home. We are currently in the final stages, and I wanted to post our most recent elevations and floor plan.

I'd welcome any advice or suggestions....in particular, since we had to compromise and go wth the composite roof (with metal accents), do you think the front porch roof should be composite, too? Our designer has it as metal.

Also, do you think the door way to the master bedroom should be flush with the mudroom wall, as shown, or should we push it back making the entrance door flush with the master BR wall?

Thanks in advance!

Elevations:

Floor Plan:

Comments (5)

• bevangel_i_h8_h0uzz
    15 years ago

Oh I do like these new elevations so much better than your original ones! Lowering the height on that two story section makes such a difference!

Since the house will be a mixture of stone and siding (vertical?), I would recommend matching the porch roofs to the rest of the house. You really don't need to add an additional visual element by having the roofs be partially composite and partially metal.

Not sure I quite understand your question about the master bedroom door. But, I would suggest flipping the utilities in the bathroom that is next to the laundry room which would require repositioning the master bedroom door.

As you currently have the bathroom, although it is a long way from the front door of the house to the toilet in that room, if someone leaves the bathroom door standing open, there is a straight shot view from just inside the front door to the toilet. I'm always a bit discomfited when I enter someone's house and can see a toilet right from the front door. Especially if the lid is up. Don't know why. Probably just a weird hang-up I have. But any one sitting at the bench seating in your kitchen would get the same view as you'll see by the red line below and I don't think anyone much wants to see a toilet while they're eating.

If you would flip the utilities as shown below, then even if the bathroom door were left standing open all the time, the most anyone would be able to see from the front door or the kitchen seating area might be a glimpse of a towel bar on the wall. Plus, moving the toilet, sink and shower so they share a common wall with the washing machine will save you a little bit of money in plumbing since certain pipes will be able to be shared.

• aggie9597
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Bevangel:

You amaze me! I would never have thought of your "line of sight", but it makes total sense to me....especially the part about shared plumbing!

And, thank you, for your original idea to lower the roof/ceiling....it is a decision that will save us some $$, too!

• bevangel_i_h8_h0uzz
    15 years ago

Your elevation with the metal porch roofs changed to comp shingles.

• jimandanne_mi
    15 years ago

The house is so long, that having the stone come up for such a short amount all the way across the front makes the house look squat, IMO. That part of it looks like a lot of 50s and 60s ranches around here.

I'd have the stone up to the top of the first floor of the section with the 3 sets of French doors and/or maybe to the top of the gabled sections--not sure which--and not have stone at all on the other parts. Just something to think about (like you need more!!), and get opinions of others with a better sense of what would look best than maybe I have.

Anne

• aggie9597
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Very cool, Bevangel.

You're a computer genius!