Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kateshome_gw

New exterior sketch combining last two front elevation renderings

kateshome
11 years ago

This is a sketch from our architect combing the features from the last two drawings for the front elevation. I'm liking this one except for some space between the right of the entry and the garage. The original had windows there but we have shrunk the size somewhat so it doesn't fit what was originally there. He put a window in that space in the second floor but one won't fit on the first floor. I'm thinking I could put a trellis there and plant a vine. Any input on this new drawing is greatly appreciated

Comments (11)

• Annie Deighnaugh
    11 years ago

Picture?

• kateshome
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Sorry !Here's the picture!

• allison0704
    11 years ago

Much better! I still think the middle section (with entry) needs to be worked on. The top right window looks out of place. Can it be deleted?

This post was edited by allison0704 on Sun, Mar 17, 13 at 10:54

• renovator8
    11 years ago

It is virtually impossible to understand a house design without a floor plan so it is useless to comment on it except to say it's a nice sketch of strong elements perhaps pushed a bit too close together.

This post was edited by Renovator8 on Sat, Mar 16, 13 at 22:23

• nini804
    11 years ago

Is there a reason why he cant get it more symmetrical? I would like it so much more if that section directly to the left of the front door (the 2 upper windows over the two lowers) had a match on the right side, instead of that one window by itself and that lower section with the gable (I am assuming this is the garage?) the one story section on the far left doesn't bother me at all...it looks like a sunroom added over time or something...but the main facade is so asymmetrical. Of course, that may be what you like, which is fine! These are just my thoughts and my taste.

• renovator8
    11 years ago

There seems to be a series of threads about this house, making it difficult to follow the design changes or seeing the plans without searching for the previous threads which I have no interest in doing.

If you want advice give us all of the information we need in one thread.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    11 years ago

It's better, but that small window looks funny yet, and I'm still not a fan of the dormer punching through the eave...perhaps if the dormer window and the small window were more in balance...

Also, what is that overhang off the garage that faces the front door? Is it another doorway?

• Circus Peanut
    11 years ago

Are the three staggered rooflines in front intentional? To my eye, the angle looks not enough to be intentional, but enough to look off-kilter. Or is this just the perspective of the drawing?

Also:

• renovator8
    11 years ago

It looks as if the house sank until the top of the foundation touched the window sills. The major elements appear crowded and cramped, sort of a mini-mansion approach.

• kateshome
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Alison0704 - I agree, the top right window doesn't look right. if it's deleted will the space look like its missing something?

Nini804 - I want it to look more symmetrical as well

Renovator 8 - I appreciate your comments and am sorry that my postings seem so disorganize. I was posting as I got new drawings and can't seem to get more than one picture at a time in a posting. Will get rid of the brick ledge and use just one siding element. Am hoping the next drawing will open up the front a bit.

Annie Deighnaugh -I think the overhang is a detail over the garage doors.

Circuspeanut- I hope that the rooflines will not be staggered! I am assuming it looks like this now because it is just a sketch .

An update - I spoke with the architect today. I suggested we pull the garage more to the right and have just a corner of it attach to the house. He agreed that that might help to place windows in a more symmetrical fashion. He was going to try to have something back to me today, but I didn't get anything yet. Thanks for all your helpful comments!

• renovator8
    11 years ago

The house will never be symmetrical with such a large projecting garage wing. Don't be fooled by an elevation drawing; you need a 3D CAD model at this point in the design process.

Offsetting the garage will relieve the problem and allow the house to appear grander and more relaxed at the same time for a small cost.