Return to the Building a Home Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Revised floor plan: suggestions please

Posted by BAVE (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 1, 12 at 13:57

A few days back I posted our proposed floor plan (http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/build/msg021429422394.html?18). Thanks to all of your excellent feedback we reconfigured the design (hallways, windows, garage size, pantry suze, etc.). Unfortunately it will increase our sq footage and ultimately cost us approx. $30,000 extra though there are no additional rooms, bathrooms, etc.

Please post your suggestions and opinions.

Here is a link that might be useful: New Floor plan

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Revised floor plan: suggestions please

Could you at least rotate the kitchen layout so the range was on the same wall as the garage and either the fridges or the wet bar ended up in the traffic pattern from the garage to the rest of the house rather than the primary work area of the kitchen? For such a big house (especially) to have a primary traffic pattern cut right through the work area of the kitchen should be unnecessary.

o

The pictured revision shows a new pass through (at the left of the pantry) to the hallway (kids rooms) and main hallway. Going through the kitchen will only be to get to the family room and therefore passing the fridge to get to the family room area. We had thought about switching fridge and range but that would mean anyone walking in to the family or breakfast area from the garage or entry would pass the range.

o

But they will still pass it going to the rest of the house(?)

The side entry south of the garage and the door from the garage to the house both put you at a point where it is a straight shot past the range into the house. Do you really think people will orbit the pantry into the secondary hallway to pass to the rest of the house? My feeling is they won't. I would still try to get the range out of that position.

o

I see your point. However, the other side of the house is only the master and what will be a den. In our house, the kids (teens and a young one) go to their rooms or the kitchen. We (mom & dad) will definitely pass through but if that is the case nobody will be cooking. I would guess that 99% of the time the kids will walk straight into the family room area or their rooms and not the other side of the home.

o

Will guests come in the front door, mostly? Is guest parking closer to the front door?

If so, it sounds like it will be okay then.

o

I agree with Pal, for such a large home, the kitchen seems (well not to sound mean) but a bit of an after thought. Probably not at all true, but the plan makes it look that way.

So you aren't passing through your kitchen, have you thought about putting a hall, between the pantry and kitchen space?

If not, then what about swapping the fridge and range locations and turning the island, so the sink is opposite the new range location? This would give you seating on two sides, views of the fireplace and outdoors, and the bar sink/beverage area would be a little more separate. That would see the bulk of the pass through traffic, along with the fridge.

Would that work? Just an idea :)

o

Something about this plan still seems very odd to me...the kitchen, the small laundry, small garage (possibly), lack of a mud room, bedroom door so close to an outside door, having 5 bathrooms, but none close to the family room or theater... Have you placed furniture in the rooms yet to make sure the doors and windows work where you have them placed?

I remember seeing the front elevation and the picture of the similar one under construction that you had in the previous thread and thinking they were quite stunning and so interesting looking!

I can't help but feel like this would be the house that everyone here (hometown, not GW) would be so envious of, and then it would go on the tour of homes and we all finally get to see the inside of it, and we would come out all confused and feeling better about our own tiny houses because they seemed a lot more functional than this one. I don't mean to sound negative. I'm guessing you will be spending a pretty penny on this house and I just think you could get a lot more out of it than what you have.

o

I think you might consider pantry re-placement... and change the swing on your garage door. I don't think it likely that people will loop back to the hallway and have to walk through a reverse swing door. Instead, they will open the door to 90* and walk into your kitchen.

o

Thanks for all of the suggestions.

The guests will enter from the front (walkways and parking).

The kitchen is 22 1/2 x 16 1/2 so the space is there.I like the idea of swapping locations in the kitchen to seperate and allow for views of fireplace & pool area. The difficulty with configuration is there will be an 18 ft ceiling. The 18 ft limestone fireplace will be a focal point on one end and the range hood will have a stone or wood face extending up the 18 ft. on the opposite end. To move it to the side of the room will oook odd.
The laundry was made small (10 x 6 1/2) as that was a compromise to allow for a large pantry (12 1/2 x 6 1/2)and a pass through. We looked at lengthening the laundry b 2 ft and shortening the pantry 2 ft but my wife is not to excited about that as our current laundry is 9 x 5 and we're fine with it.

The garage is a standard 2 car because the plan will allow for a detached 2 car at the end of the driveway next to it. We were quoted $25k for a two car complete addition (also matching stucco and tile with same garage door)so that will be our next project along with the pool. We are negotioaing the addition of the foundation for it to have electrical and slab ready.

Door swings are not correct on the plan though you have a great eye as I dint see that. Swings along with plumbing, electrical, television connections, etc will be decided once we have the correct plan configuration. Windows are also not finalized.

At first we did not like the idea of a door near the bedroom. However, that room will initially be our oldest sons room and then become a guest room in a year or so. We like the idea of it now but we have also considered a door entry next to the garage door instead (enters into garage). However, once garage 2 is added it will be odd to walk from one garage into another instead of into the home.

o
btw

BTW, I really appreciate the feedback, good or bad. Resale value is important and you are all the eyes of potential buyers. Little things such as the door swing pointed out by kirkhall are potentially big mistakes if the builder doesnt correct it.

o

You know, FWIW, I've seen those 'opposite focal points' in home show homes...and it often seems like the secondary focal point (your range) is trying too hard to compete, with the primary focal point (your fireplace).

Instead, play up the fireplace and on the other end, just have regular upper cabinetry (maybe glass uppers) by the fridge. The range can still be a great focal point, on the other wall...but that allows it to be what it's meant to be...a secondary focal point, not competing with the fireplace.

The extra seating at the island, better views for the cook and better traffic patterns will more than make up, for the cosmetic adjustments, IMHO :)

o
re: btw

I also forgot to mention, we're in a part of the country that allows for very inexpensive building but very expensive taxes based on sq footage. The cost of the home is barely more than the price of a starter home in some parts of the country so we're very excited, though there will definitely be compromises. We're trying to keep the square footage to below 5000 living and this design was really meant to be a 6000 sq foot home/ 8000 total (which would add hallway behind kitchen, a couple more 1/2 baths, larger laundry and the original plan was to have a two level closet 15 x 25 and 16 ft. ceiling (new design has a 13 x 15 1/2 closet with 15 foot ceiling).

o
RE: Revised floor plan:

Does anyone have a suggestion as to where to place a small powder room?

o

Maybe between the family and theater rooms? What are those little closet-like spaces? Would one of those work?

o

"Maybe between the family and theater rooms? What are those little closet-like spaces? Would one of those work?"

We were looking at using the furthest closet at the media room entrance and enlarging it to the powder room size. and moving the theater entry door over a few feet. It could even have an outside door (for pool area) and not add much in cost to the build. We may even be able to negotiate it into the current price.

o

Is it possible to make the plan larger? I click on it and it only opens slightly larger.

that counter beside the range is going to be a "catch all" for all things going into car or garage.

would love to view more of this home....

o

I will scan and enlarge the next version (now I see why they place a date on plan variations). People are not exaggerating when they say "good luck with finalizing your plan".

Our newest version now that we see what each change will cost:

we are going to have the outside entry next to the garage a mudroom/laundry room/hallway (with doors of course). when walking in through the side the laundry will be to the left with counters and cabinets above the washer/dryer and continuation of counter and wash basin. The length should be approx. 12 feet and allow for 4-5 feet of hallway. once through the mudroom/laundry there will be a hall to the bedrooms. This will divert garage and side entry traffic to the kids rooms but allow pass through to the kitchen (with door swing from garage as pointed out by Kirkhall). Also, the AC air handlers will have a closet in area behind the fridge (garage space turned in to closet for units). This allows for a 12 1/2 x 6 1/2 pantry. We're also having him slab and prep for a detached two car garage that we'll have built down the line for an estimated $20,000 cost. The current layout does not allow for a 3 car garage because of setback otherwise that would be negotiated in.

The last questionable change will be the possibility of a powder room at the theater room (instead of closet).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Building a Home Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here