Return to the Building a Home Forum

o
Nantahala / Amicalola / Tranquility / Garrell and Associates hous

Posted by DivinityMorgan (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 20, 13 at 13:27

My husband and I have been planning our new house for the past year. First we chose the Amicalola house plan by Garrell and Associates. After contacting Garrell we have since decided on the Nantahala Cottage with the much simpliar gable roof plan # 07330. We made a couple of tweaks to the plan. Made the garage larger to fit my suburban thus making the two spare bedrooms by the garage bigger. We also added walk in closets for both of those bedrooms. We are planning to break ground in the next couple of weeks. I am looking for anyone who has built any of the Garrell and Associates house plans from the tranquility line. The most important decision I currently have to make is the windows. It is between Kolbe and Marvin. And with the windows I am undecided on whether or not to do the decorative grid? Any suggestions or even better yet photos would be greatly appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Nantahala / Amicalola / Tranquility / Garrell and Associates

Hello,

My wife and I are building an Amicalola variant. We are at the finish drywall stage. We have Simonton ProFinish windows, most of them are fixed with a few casing. We have the prairie grids in them. I'll try to attach a picture or two and get a couple more when i can.

Jeff

o

Here's one of the back. Don't know if you can zoom in enough to see the grids.

o

We are hoping to build this house on land we already own. Do you mind if I ask what the estimated cost of the completed home is ? Were you able to walk thru a house of this plan before you decided to build it? if so, where?

o

I was able to walk through a variation of the tranquility line that was still under construction in Fairview,NC. Judd Builders is who took us to the house when we were looking at possibly have them build it for us. Their estimated price was $165 a sqft. We decided to be our own GC and have broken ground and are pouring the basement walls today. I have found people who have offered to let me look at theirs but they live too far away from me near Raleigh, NC and Blowing Rock, NC. We have a very experienced local builder doing ours with a 4 man carpenter crew for $130 an hour.

o

@jdcpros can you show me a picture of the front windows? We are purchasing windows in the next couple of weeks. I was planning on going with Kolbe with the gothic grids on the front of the house only.

o

@ DivinityMorgan and jdcpros - what states are you building in? We are planning on building in north Georgia area but currently live in Chicago area. Would either of you be willing to let us "walk thru" if it is possible?

o

@ divinitymorgan, I'll get some pics of the front posted this weekend. just realized that I don't have any on the camera.

@ japj1980 we'd be happy to let you walk through if you are interested, google Moundsville West Virginia and you'll see how far you'd have to come.

o

@ jdcpros We will be driving from Baltimore to Indianapolis and would be able to stop by to see your Nantahla on the afternoon of May 23, if that works for you. OK to email me directly at jbpl1976@att.net

o

Here's a few of the front windows. Front doors are 8' tall, 36' wide each. There will be one more eyebrow type window above the front doors.

japj1980, I'll shoot you an email shortly.

o

Front doors.

o

Dining room windows, many of the plans have french doors here.

o

Almost done bricking the back.

o

Woodburning fireplace under covered deck. The bottom decorative pattern was a surprise from the builder. Didn't expect that.

o

@jdcpros, your house is coming along quite nicely! We are breaking ground on the nantahala house plan (slab) I would love to see the rest of your home or further update pictures! It would help my builder and I a lot! =) Thank you and congrats!!!

o

jdpros This looks amazing. We are building the Nanthala house as well (minus the basement). Any updated pictures would be a great help as we are just in the foundation stage.

o

@steenl, Sounds like you and I are building the same house! =) We're building our house eastside of Houston. How about you? I would love to keep in contact w/ you and share our ideas/changes! I'm sure that would help both you and I out a lot! Congrats on the ground breaking!

o

Front of house. Everything under the porch will be stone with a stone band across the rest of the front of the house.

o

Back of house, brick complete, detached garage on right.

o

Front door with window above.

o

Through the kitchen to the keeping room and breakfast area. Keeping room woodburning fireplace will be stone.

o

From the keeping room, through the kitchen, lodge room in back.

o

@jdpros... Your house is coming along nicely! We will be pouring slab this week. Did you make any changes to the plan or are you building as it came?

o

Lodge room windows covered for wall painting.

o

Master bedroom ceiling.

o

Through the finished part of the basement.

o

Let me know if there is a certain area you'd like to see a picture of, we made a few changes with Garrell Associates on the plans, but not many.

o

Looks good! Pictures are great! We made a few changes with the size of a few rooms but nothing major. Would love to see how your house turns out! Please keep us updated and I will do the same!

o

Mauricio214 yes, it does sound like we are building the same house. I have made quiet a few changes though to our plan. I have no problem uploading pics as the house comes along. Please do the same so that I can see (and possible ask questions).

thanks

o

We are interested in this plan but we really need a walk through to understand the scale and size to determine if it will work for our family. Is there anyone in the Charlotte area that would be willing to let us walk through?

o

@Steennl... Any changes you're willing to share? =) I will be uploading pictures as well for you. Glad to find others building the same home! Two heads (or more) are better than one!

o

@jdcpros... thanks for posting the pictures. Do you know yet if it will be possible for us to stop and see the real thing on May 23 in afternoon or early evening or am of 24th?

o

@jdcpros...congrats on your build and great pics! We are finalizing plans on an Amicalola to build in middle Ga. We are finishing the basement, roughing in the bonus space, and slight modifications to some of the rooms. Would you mind sharing the changes made to your build? Looking at the pics, it appears your builder used conventional framing? Our builder suggests we go this route because of cost. Also, what type of insulation package does your build include? Thanks for the updates and we will do the same. Again, congrats and beautiful pics of your home!

o

Slab looks like it got postponed for a few days... Raining like crazy over here right now. Other changes I made is square off the back patio as well as covering the entire patio. The sun out here in Tx shows no mercy so we did not want to have an open deck area! Pictures will come as we progress further on the house!!! =)

o

Mauricio we are building in Texas also. About and hour north of Dallas in Greenville. Let me know if that is close to you and we can view the houses as they are being built.

o

@Steennl... We're building on the east side of Houston. We're about a 5hr drive from Greenville. Slab got poured last week, we decided on stamping and staining the front porch and rear patio (which I'm glad we did). Framing is to start today as well. Pictures to come!

o

Yesterday they put down our entire first floor trusses. In just about a week our entire basement framing and first floor trusses have went down. Our builders are MOVING! We went poured walls in the basement where they were going to be comp under ground. I have to order our window package today. So not looking forward to that bill... Our final window price with Kolbe has come in right around $75,000 which includes all exterior windows and doors INCLUDING a 9ft tall by 15ft wide folding door we are going off of the kitchen onto the covered/screened porch. We got a fantastic deal on this I might add as someone made a boo boo when ordering it so we got it at their cost.

o

@ japj1980 The early evening of the 24th looks like the only possibility. Let me know if that works and we'll figure out the logistics.

o

@ jdcpros - we will make the early eve of May 24th work for a walk thru of your home. Very excited to be able to see the house and not make such an expensive decision based only on a plan layout in a book. Send us a private email with your name and contact info to jbpl1976@att.net so we can arrange the meeting. Pam & Jeff Bell

o

Hey everyone... Just an update to show ya'll where we are w/ our build! Guys are moving along quite nicely! Did anyone else have any problems w/ their blueprints not adding up? The breakfast area turned out to be bigger than the plans showed. Not complaining, just wondering if this happened to anyone else.

o

Hi there. Great to hear from others on the same path we are. We live about an hour north of toronto, Canada. We purchased the Nantahala plans without realizing how much modification they would need in order to meet canadian building codes and specific snow loads for this area. We actually spent more $ on the modifications than the original CAD's from Garrell. During that process, the architect did find lots of "grey" areas in the plans like the one mentioned above. We subsequently went through the plans and worked to fix those in order to remove any guesswork from the builder. That said, most of what we found would be figured out and remedied by a good builder, but we erred on the side of caution so the builder could follow the plans 100% and not have to make changes or decisions on the fly.
We love the house and are encouraged by the progress of others that we see here!

o

@taylor001 would love to see photos inside and out if you are willing to share:). My email is divinitymorgan@yahoo.com

o

The breakfast area has been the only thing that has popped up so far I believe. They will be framing the roof this week and have it wrapped up soon. Don't remember if I mentioned it but we added a half bath ouside on the patio for when we're entertaining, one doesn't have to go inside. Or for when I'm working outside! We love love it!

o

@Steennl... Any updates on your build? Or anybody else have anything to share? Curious to see how all your progress is going!

o

Hi, I'm from Idaho. We currently have this house plan with our builder getting the costs to build. We are going to use this plan for a cabin. We are looking for any information that you would be willing to share about your adventure. Is there any changes that you would make now that you have started building, and are in the process of? Our builder has already expressed concern about the covered part of the patio for snow load. I'm so excited to have found this forum.

o

@ steennl. We are looking at building the Nantahala Gable plan and was wondering if you made any modifications to the original plan. I saw where someone had posted that the Lodge room was on the small side. It's hard to make such a big decision on just what you see on paper. Would love to find one fairly close to us so we could do a walk thru. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated :)

o

My husband & I are close to starting our own Amicoloa cottage. We know the beams in the house are really expensive. Has anyone used the faux wood beams? They are extremely cheaper than the real thing and look real, except to touch. We are planning on using the faux wood on the ceiling. and using the real beams as the columns.

o

So, after much rain we are finally starting the piers. Here are some pics of our progress.

Also, we made quite a bit of changes on our plan. For starters we change the whole upstairs. It consist of our media room, a kitchen nook when you get to the top of the stairs before going into the media room, and bathroom. We also added a door in our media room upstairs and put in a balcony. The balcony comes out over the garge and we just extended the beams our further. We also added a double sided fireplace in the mainroom so that we could enjoy the fireplace in the master bedroom as well. We extended the large WIC in the master to be flush with the toilet section. It was more functional for the concrete guys and gave me a larger WIC. I changed the whole Master bathroom. I wanted a garden tub and only a two-head shower instead of a 3. The shower was way too large and the tub set up was not functional as most have stated earlier. I will continue to post pics as we progress.

o

Here is another pic

o

Hey everyone... Just stopping by w/ a quick update pic of the front of the house! As far as the inside of the home goes, a/c and electrical should be done this week.

o

Here is our updated status

o

Looking good, DivinityMorgan!

o

jdcpros - My husband and I are thinking of building the nantahala or amicalola. We live in MD and would love to drive to WV to see your home - any chance you would be open to letting us take a peek? If so, please email me at melissamct@mac.com. Thanks!!
If anyone else would be open to us seeing your Nantahala or Amicalola - please let me know. We'd even fly if you're far away - we can use some airline points :)

o

http://ournantahala.blogspot.com/ Here is a blog I started to note our progress

o

http://ournantahala.blogspot.com/ Here is a blog I started to note our progress

o

Has anyone built Mill Spring Cottage or Westbrooks? We want to build something a bit simpler and less expensive than the $500,000+ Amicalola or Tranquility, but we still love the Garrell lodge room.

UPDATE

I thought I'd update with an answer to my own question. I found this mostly finished version of Mill Spring Cottage from Garrell on Facebook.

This post was edited by took on Sat, Oct 5, 13 at 10:52

o

Cool - thanks for sharing your blog Divinity!

o

Where is everyone at with their progress?

o

DivintyMorgan - are you by chance in the Asheville area? We will begin building in Fletcher soon and I have seen a few signs for Judd Builders in a couple of neighborhoods when we were looking at lots.

o

Framing is almost complete. Our framers struggled with the roofline due to all the different pitches. Plus we put our media room above the garage (and will have a walkout balcony above the garage also)...which is why our roof is so high compared to the others. We should have our metal roof complete by next week and stone work should start the following...more pictures to come.

o

The foundation for our Nantahala is dug. Footings and foundation pouring will start tomorrow! This is the garage end. Shallow dig as we need a considerable amount of fill to meet requirements of grading plan and walkout basement.

o

They are standing in front of what will be the front entry. the section dug at the back on the left will be below the master bedroom.

o

So, here is our progress this far. As you can see, we changed the pitch of the roof and several gables. We put our media room above the garage (which is why the garage roof is so big). I just hope it turns out as nice as the pic below, if not, I will be devastated.

o

Interior and exterior footings poured.

o

@steennl: My wife and I are in the beginning stages of getting the Nantahala Cottage built, actually not too far from you, (just outside of Denton).

We were wondering if you would share your thoughts and experiences you have had on your build? Any major headaches or things you wish you would have thought of before type stuff..

We like your idea of extending the WIC flush with the toilet area like you stated above, as our #1 concern about this plan is the lack of storage.

o

We would like to build a Garrell house plan on our lot in western North Carolina. The property is sloped, so we will have to spend a significant amount of money on clearing trees, concrete foundation, etc. Although I love many of Garrell's more elaborate floor plans (Amicalola, nantahala, etc.), I have no doubt the cost of curvy walls and elaborate angles will push us way out of the ballpark. We are empty nesters and want something small but with some rustic character. We love their Diamond Creek cottage plan with two master suites, but I'm sure the breeze ways will add more cost and may not be practical. We are also looking at Sugarloaf Cottage plan, Lodgemont Cottage plan, or High Country Cottage plan. These are more simple rectangles and much smaller square footage. Anyone have any experience with any of these floor plans (like ballpark figures of cost to build), or any experience with Garrell plans in general? Many posts I have read make it sound like their homes are a fortune to build. We want to keep the entire basement as unfinished and use it as a garage/workshop/mech area in order to save money, plus we don't need a whole second house below. So another question I have (as a clueless flatlander from Florida!) is--- when builders are giving a quote as "price per square foot", how does that work if its an unfinished basement? I sure hope they aren't going to figure in all that area too, or I will never be able to afford this home! Help!

o

We would like to build a Garrell house plan on our lot in western North Carolina. The property is sloped, so we will have to spend a significant amount of money on clearing trees, concrete foundation, etc. Although I love many of Garrell's more elaborate floor plans (Amicalola, nantahala, etc.), I have no doubt the cost of curvy walls and elaborate angles will push us way out of the ballpark. We are empty nesters and want something small but with some rustic character. We love their Diamond Creek cottage plan with two master suites, but I'm sure the breeze ways will add more cost and may not be practical. We are also looking at Sugarloaf Cottage plan, Lodgemont Cottage plan, or High Country Cottage plan. These are more simple rectangles and much smaller square footage. Anyone have any experience with any of these floor plans (like ballpark figures of cost to build), or any experience with Garrell plans in general? Many posts I have read make it sound like their homes are a fortune to build. We want to keep the entire basement as unfinished and use it as a garage/workshop/mech area in order to save money, plus we don't need a whole second house below. So another question I have (as a clueless flatlander from Florida!) is--- when builders are giving a quote as "price per square foot", how does that work if its an unfinished basement? I sure hope they aren't going to figure in all that area too, or I will never be able to afford this home! Help!

o

o

o

o

Has anyone in the DFW area built the Nantahala House plan with a gable roof?

o

My husband and I are wondering if anyone knows the approx. cost per sq. ft. for the Nantahala house (2611 sq ft - gable roof)? House only not including the lot. We live south of Dallas. Is there anyone in the DFW area building this plan?

o

My husband and I are wondering if anyone knows the approx. cost per sq. ft. for the Nantahala house (2611 sq ft - gable roof)? House only not including the lot. We live south of Dallas. Is there anyone in the DFW area building this plan?

o

We are thinking about building this plan too. Is there anybody in central Texas that has built/building one?

o

We are currently building the Nantahala house plan (Gable) in east Houston... Outside is complete, finishing up cabinets and getting ready for paint in a week or two!

o

We are building in Greenville, TX (north east of Dallas). Right now we are trending at $52 a sq ft (we are building the house oursleves and contracting work out). We hope to be in our house by the end of oct. Rt now they are finishing the foaming and about to sheet rock.

o

I am just starting to build chestatee river cottage house with a walkout. Am looking to dig the foundation in the spring just clearing the land now. Looking for any input or pictures of the building. I am very excited!

o

Foundation and framing complete. This is the gable version of the nantahala with the 3 car garage. We have kept the build true to the design for the most part and would appear to be coming in around $200 per square foot by the time we are complete.

o

So, we are about 2 weeks away from move in. Cant wait.

o

We are hoping to be in within 6 weeks. Currently they are finishing up our sheetrock, rock laying, tile and exterior siding. We were our own GC and believe the price will be $160 a sqft. Now that it with ALL of the bells and whistles.

o

steennl
I just saw your house ,i`m very impressed!
I live in SE Oklahoma,is there any way I could come down(at your convenience),and see this masterpiece?

o

Roof complete. Some windows in and arches in garage and entry finished!

o

steennl
I`m not far from your area,I live in SE Okla,
I`m going to start mine in about a month.
I will be in your area next week, I was hoping to get a look at yours. My email is rcoalot@yahoo.com

o

jdcpros - My wife and I are going to be building the Nantahala this coming spring and would love to see the house in person. I know yours is the Amicalola, but as you know, they are very similar. Would you be so kind to let us come down and take a quick walk through? We are from Chester, WV which as you probably know is not too far from you. We can come anytime that is good for you from now until spring, just let me know. Please email me at rsix@sixrecycling.com Thanks!!!

Also, if there is anyone in the WV, OH, PA region that has the Nantahala and is willing to show it off, we would love to come take a look!

o

Six more moths to completion. Here are some photos.

o

Back of home. This will be the driveway access.

o

Built with 2x6 walls and used Andersen a series windows and doors.

o

Hi all, my wife and I are planning to build the tranquility on ky lake soon. I have seen it written that the tub in the master br is 'not functional'...can anyone share any insight as to this comment....it looks great to me. Thanks

o

It's a bath tub, as long as it works and you like the way it looks its functional. I changed a lot of things on the original plans, the tub was not one of them.

o

Would someone be willing for my wife and I to tour a tranquility plan under construction? We live in the Raleigh area. We would be will to drive several hours. We have liked the plan for some time and would like to make sure of the room sizes.

o

i am considering building the Harmony house. I am a single after losing my husband three years ago and am looking to downsize. Has anyone built this house? this one is 2343 square feet but it is hard to get a handle on. I live in Missouri and have to have a basement for tornado shelter.

o

lodge room

o

master

o

exterior

o

Divinity,

Any chance you could post mater bath and kitchen pics? Need some inspiration for my wife to see what's possible. She doesn't like the finishes shown on the Garrell site.

o

Divinity,

Any chance you could post mater bath and kitchen pics? Need some inspiration for my wife to see what's possible. She doesn't like the finishes shown on the Garrell site.

o

I don't have any recent of the interior other than what I've posted here. Will work on new pics soon. http://ournantahala.blogspot.com/

o

master bath

o

kitchen. Excuse the moving mess lol

o

Hi my wife and I love the look of the amicalola also has any one here built one in central Illinois area I would really love to see one first

o

Taylor001
We are located in the Muskoka area of Ontario and have been following your posts with great interest as we too are looking at this plan. Could you please contact me with further details.

o

Steennl , I would love to talk to you about the building process of your home. I live in Sulphur Springs, which is about a half hour from you and would love to get a chance to see your finished product. Please contact me via email if you would be interested. kca34@live.com

o

My husband and I are looking to build this home this year. We are interested in tweaking the plans to have a Jack and Jill bathroom between the 2nd and 3rd bedrooms and a bonus game room above the garage. Has anyone built similar changes and if so, would you be so kind to show some pics of them. Thank you.

o

This is the extra room above the garage that also has a bathroom attached. We also finished the attic space above the great room and dining room after final inspection.

o

I don't have a more recent pic. This is the shared bathroom between the 2nd and 3rd bedroom. We extended the garage to fit my suburban which made it to where we could extend both the 2nd and 3rd bedrooms and add huge walk in closets.

o

The plan we purchased was 07330 and we did a full walk out basement

o

Hey everyone, thank you for all the info and pictures posted all the houses are beautiful! We are looking to build the Nantahala gable 3 car within the year hopefully like Taylor001. Does anyone live in the Raleigh area? Would love to see one if possible.

Taylor001
Could you please email me some pictures to smgaines06@gmail.com if you have the chance, especially the front and rear exterior?

Thank you!
Mitch

This post was edited by smgaines06 on Mon, Jan 27, 14 at 20:36

o

Exterior is getting closer to finish. Still waiting on exterior trusses, flashing & eves.

o

The white board separating the board and batten won't remain white. It got too cold, too fast here and we didn't get it pointed in time

o

Hello divinitymorgan looks amazing does your lodge room or keeping room seem small. My wife and I just cannot tell on photos and love the house we have 4 children and not sure on which plan nantahala, amicalola, etc

o

Taylor001 yours also looks awesome does your lodge room or keeping room seem small

o

Hi Dustin6, we were concerned about those room sizes as well. The original plan has a door from the master suite that walks out to the deck. We removed that door and extended the lodge room out to be flush with the rest of the back of the house. This gave us over 3' of extra space in that room actually feels large.
The keeping feels a bit small but the 12' ceilings and oversized windows make the room feel very open. We just finished the taping so it has no flooring or color yet. I will have a better idea at a later stage how it will feel.

o

Taylor001 that is a great idea I would love to see some interior pics also would love to see a photo of your layout of your house changes and what not. Any thing else you did to change plan you like.

o

We are getting ready to build the Nantahala cottage and was wondering what type of cedar shake people are using. The real shake is very expensive and requires alot of maintenance. Some of the vinyl shake looks fake! Please help. Thanks

o

Taylor001
love the color and style of your cedar shake. Could you please let me know what brand, color and style it is. Looks AWESOME

o

They are manufactured by Maibec, Kennebunk grade and the stain is natural tone, niagara silver

o

We also are deciding whether to use the 3 car garage Nantahala with just floored attic and no basement. We are concerned with the room sizes and sq ft price and have lots of questions. We live in middle Tennessee. Is anyone close who has built this Garrell plan? We did get an estimate on the trusses. I'd love to have the email address of anyone willing to help us with advice, etc. My email is beckhenley@aol.com

o

We just purchased plans for the Amicalola Cottage. I would love to hear feedback from anyone with this plan or similar plans. Also I would love to walk through a house that is almost finished or finished. I currently live in Tx and will be building in Louisiana. Please let me know if anyone is willing to allow me to visit.
Thanks

o

We're building a customized Tranquility/Amicalola and would really like to actually be able to see one in person to gain some perspective. We live near Dothan Alabama and will be traveling to Atlanta over the weekend of 15 March. Does anyone near Atlanta have a variation that we could see?

Thanks in advance.

o

We have gotten a quote on changes to get our plans wheelchair accessible. They have asked if we need stamped drawings or engineered drawings, and said that we don't get any structural plans. Did any of you have any problems with this? I've never felt so ignorant. We haven't chosen a contractor yet, but I guess I need to ask one of the ones we interviewed about all this. Can anyone help?

o

BytheNbrs,
I Love the colors of the exterior of your house. Do you mind sharing the color of the siding? What material did you use? What is the name of your rock? What color did you use for your painted columns?

Also, what material did you use for the interior trusses? Is it oak? What color is the stain?

Please forgive all the questions. My husband and I are building on a hillside in Middle TN. Your color choices are my favorite. We hope to start building in a year. Could we see your house in person? We are certainly willing to drive to NC.

I am so appreciative of this site. The information is wonderful.
Angela

o

@ kca34@live.com, please send me an email and we can coordinate a time for you to visit.

o

Here are some pics of the kitchen

o

Our fridge

o

Living room fireplace (at Christmas)

o

Full View of living room at Christmas (these are the only pics I have, sorry)

o

Before we moved in

o

Living room

o

Has anyone looked at competitive plans from someone other than Garrell? We really like the Tranquility plan but want to make sure we are looking at other options too.

o

Cedar shake -- we used maintenance free Certainteed rough split shakes. No regrets.

o

We have selected the Nantahala plan to build on a lake in AL. We currently live in GA. Anyone in GA that has built this house that would let us walk through? I am so visual it would be helpful to get a feel for room size and would be greatly appreciated!

o

Does anyone know of anyone who has the Amicalola in the Raleigh, NC area? We are moving to Louisiana this summer and want to purchase land to build on and thinking of this house. Would love to see it in person!

o

We are building the Tranquility house plan in Virginia
link to photos below
http://www.pinterest.com/4paisleypetunia/garrell-associates-tranquility-house-plan-build/

Here is a link that might be useful: Tranquility House Build

o

I lucked upon this blog a few months ago and have been following it ever since. We've met twice with an architect and finalizing plans to build a combo of the Amicalola/Nahtahala in the Fall. It will be all one level with a bonus and around 3,000 living on the main. The pictures you have all posted have been invaluable. I'm still really concerned about what the price to build will be. We're building on 10 acres in Bowling Green, KY. jrhokies I'm now following you on Pinterest. Your home is going to be beautiful!

o

JHester,
We are getting bids on the Nantahala to build in middle
Tennessee. I'm worried about the cost also. Keep in touch as you progress. We were in Bowling Green recently going to Road to the Horse in Lexington. Pretty country.

o

Beckyhenley I would think our cost to build might be similar as we are building in roughly the same area. Did you change the floor plan at all? We squared off several of the exterior walls and took the curves out of the covered porch. Will be finishing with hardie board, stone and cedar or cement shingles. Please keep me posted on your process!

o

Cost per square foot is a frequent ? for the Tranquility derivatives. Have aggregated info directly from prior posts.

Brevard, NC
Own GC - $160

Greenville, TX
Own GC - $52

WV
$180

Toronto, Canada
$200

Georgia
Estimate $180

Hill Country, Texas
Estimate $175

Once you delete the high and the low, the per square foot costs are remarkably similar.

High dollar impact decisions:
Poured foundation/basement or block?

Marvin Ultimate windows or vinyl? # of eyebrow windows.

Accent Truss package or alternative?

Hip or gable roofline?

Hope this is helpful.
~bgj

o

billygoatjoe - you are amazing! I'm hoping for around $110 sq ft. Looks like I need to talk to the person in Greenville, TX!
Do you have an opinion on windows or could you direct me to a forum that discusses the pros cons of Marvin Ultimate vs. vinyl?
It won't have a basement and we'll be doing boxed beams instead of solid trusses/beams. Can't remember if our roofline is hip or gable, but our architect did the cheaper of the two. I have eliminated a couple of the eyebrow windows. Trying to decide on exterior and trying to decide on engineered or solid hardwood flooring. I'm seeing a lot of nice houses in our area are doing the engineered.

o

JH,
You'll find the GW windows forum to be helpful. Many fans of Marvin windows hang out there, however, there are also informed opinions on vinyl.

Hip roof lines come at a higher cost than gable.

Good luck on your project.
~bgj

o

We are looking at tranquility, but moving refrigerator and open up the lodge room. Plus reworking the entire laundry mud room for a prep pantry. Has anyone else reworked the kitchen?

o

JH,
We used Marvin windows and doors throughout our nantahala. We used solid Douglas Fir for the interior finish. We are very pleased with them. We did a lot of research and we are thrilled with both their functional features and appearance.
Regarding the differences between their infinity vinyl brand and the solid wood. The rep told us himself the performance is no better with the solid wood. The wood is a different appearance. They are markedly more expensive than the vinyl as they are hand made mortise and tenon joinery and the vinyl are factory made.

o

Sarah we relocated fridge wall and completely opened living space. We reoriented the kitchen and that gave me an awesome pantry. If you search my name on ths you will find some photos I've posted. I attached a pantry photo.

o

Thank you laurajazz for the pic - we will do something similar. Did your builder rework your plan? I can't decide where exactly to put the fridge. Still haven't got any costs to build this house. We are building in Oklahoma and the housing market is booming.

o

Laurajazz, I was trying to find your pictures, We are looking also at relocating the refrigerator to open the living to kitchen. I would love to see your pics. We are in Iowa and have not found any homes to compare to or get ideas on floor plan. Originally we were on Amicalola, however, The Tranquility may be more our taste, so a mixture of two. We also want a walk in pantry for storage. Would love to hear from you. Thank you

o

IF anyone would be gracious enough to let my husband and I to do a walk thru preview of their home finished, we would greatly appreciate it. Ive noticed while following this discussion that a lot of people have asked the same questions. Has anyone actually been able to preview before building ? I am in Iowa, have not seen anyone near by, closest was Billygoatjoe in The Ozarks. We are willing to fly or drive to be able to preview before starting this lifelong home of ours. TIA

o

Jdcpros's: You haven't posted in a while and I would LOVE to see updated pictures of your build.
Anyone else with updated pictures? My husband and I are seriously considering a modification of the Tranquility plan, but I'm scared ;-). Help!

o

Well, as stressed and tired as I am , we are on to phase one of our build. Operation remove current house from location. We have contacted a house moving company in central Iowa and they have came and measured house, and did all the homework needed. We found a lot, waiting on approval from association to move half our house ( as it has to be cut in half) to new foundation and rebuild living room and garages. Zoning went well, wish it was all that way. Our drawings are with our architect and waiting on our first set so that we can plan on building first thing in spring 2015.. let the thaw come early. But lots of winter work, excavating old 8 inch basement foundation walls and hauling out, prepping lot for new build, and finish basement in old house that will be moved so when new house is built, we can sell the old house.. on the new lot.. with new foundation, living room, laundry room, garages, lol

o

We just sent our plans to two builders for bids today. We made several modifications to the Amicalola. It's approx. 3100 living with 3 bedrooms and 3 1/2 bath. Bonus over garage will not be finished.
Will post more information when we receive bids back. I know this is a long standing thread, but still hoping to connect with some others who have already built this plan and can make recommendations to those of us just getting started.

o

Got our first bid back today. Way over $500,000 and our budget was $400,000. After paying for the plans I hate to change to a less expensive to build one, but I'm not in a very optimistic mood right now. This is middle Tennessee, and I thought with compromises we could do this cheaper.

Signed: Not Meant To Be

o

Not Meant To Be: What's the sq footage of your plan? Basement? Was there one thing about the bid that really surprised you? (not sure if you got a breakdown of everything or just a total figure)

Signed: Very worried in Kentucky

o

JHester, Yes we got a break down. Our plan is 2621 sq ft.
Windows came in at 52,800, and that was for vinyl. Framing, 46,000 framing labor, 30,000. Faux stone and block, 21,000. Trusses were not listed separately. This is on conventional foundation, no basement, no finished second level. I know it's more costly to build on one level, but that's the whole point. We are planning ahead (both in our 60s) for a wheelchair accessible home. Waiting on 3 other proposals...Contractor, 80,000. Think I could do the General Contracting myself?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: This thread has reached the upper limit for the number follow-ups allowed (150). If you would like to continue this discussion, please begin a new thread using the form on the main forum page.

Return to the Building a Home Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here