Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
redsgal14

Blinds/shades that maintain view

Redsgal14
11 years ago

We are finishing up our new build and I'm trying to figure out which blinds/shades to use. We bought the lot first and foremost for the wooded view. So I'm trying to figure out which blinds or shades I can use that will not restrict the view.
Ideally I would have something I can put down at night for privacy but put up during the day and you can't even see it. Does this exist?
Also, does anyone have experience with automated products that aren't outrageously expensive?

Comments (13)

• Annie Deighnaugh
    11 years ago

Duettes collapse to almost nothing....

• dekeoboe
    11 years ago

I must be missing something, isn't that a tall fence in the backyard? If so, why are you worried about privacy in this room?

• Redsgal14
    Original Author
    11 years ago

No - it isn't a fence, it's a deck (and covered porch). Beyond that is the view...

• Redsgal14
    Original Author
    11 years ago

To your point 'dekeoboe', maybe we don't need window coverings in this room since it is wooded?
    But, my master is right above this room, so I have the same issue and definitely need something on the windows to keep light from waking me up at sunrise.

• olivesmom
    11 years ago

Is there anyone around to actually see in? It doesn't appear that you have nearby neighbors or anything. For rooms other than bedrooms and bathrooms I probably wouldn't put blinds or shades up, maybe some drapes at the side for decoration.

• crazy_in_mason
    11 years ago

The accordian shades collapse into very little space and come in room darkening styles for the morning sun. I would leave the downstairs uncovered. I have been living in similar situation for 2 years and enjoy the view without the hassle of having to open it up every morning.

• dekeoboe
    11 years ago

No - it isn't a fence, it's a deck (and covered porch). Beyond that is the view...

I am curious, what is the item beyond the deck railing and porch roof posts in the original picture? The item that is banded with white on the top and bottom.

What do the windows look like in the bedroom?

This post was edited by dekeoboe on Sun, Mar 3, 13 at 21:20

• done_again_2
    11 years ago

We have blackout cellular shades by Levelor for our bedrooms and bathroom. When the blinds are up, there's only about 2 inches showing at the top of the window. They're great for keeping the light out and not overly expensive for custom made ones. They do nothing to dress up the window so don't expect anything more than function with them. The rest of our windows have nothing as privacy isn't really an issue.

• andry
    11 years ago

I think that banded white is actully just the film on the window.

• kirkhall
    11 years ago

I see the banded white too. Maybe it is a reflection of something interior? So strange as I totally thought there was a tall fence there too! But, after she posted the deck railing, I saw that in the pic.

• Redsgal14
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The banded white is a film on the windows to protect them during construction.
    doneagain, crazyinmason & olivesmom - thanks for the recommendations!

• brickeyee
    11 years ago

Roller shades or accordion shades are less than 2 inches tall at the to of the window, and can often be placed high enough to not block any of the glass area in double hung windows.

The top of the upper sash is usually wide enough, especially with the shades mounted on the window casing trim.

• virgilcarter
    11 years ago

Would you consider nothing on the downstairs windows? Why have large grouped windows for sun and view, but covering them up? Put lights out into your yard for a night time view (and security).

For sleeping upstairs and keeping the light out, I'd use flush fit levelors or mini-blinds that blend with your wall and trim color so that they don't become eye sores in the wall plane.

Good luck!

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler