Return to the Building a Home Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need advice

Posted by graceyspacey (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 25, 12 at 13:08

Hello,

I've been reading and learning a lot on this forum. We are building our first home. Its a community where you choose the model of the home and the build it. The builders claim to be semi custom. I have gone to the design center plenty of times and did not like the kitchen at all even with the upgrades so we decided to remodel the kitchen from the start. I tried asking the realtor who is managing the sales if we are able to be credited for the cabinets and appliances that they're placing on the house since we're not going to be able to use it. I feel like its a waste that they're going to put these things up and to be tear down right away to build our dream kitchen. The realtor came back saying that the builder is not able to "delete" the cabinets and appliances ~ which doesn't make sense to me. I don't really now how to handle putting pressure on the builder asking to credit us for the kitchen stuff instead of having extra kitchen appliances.. Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks so much in advance

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need advice

when we bought a spec house we were able to by the ugraded appliances as an increase you may want to see what they will charge you and then price them yourselves to see if there is a difference..lots of times it's cheaper to go on your own then thru the builder as their is no builder mark up. You'd have to dig more to see about the cabinets we were told they were already ordered at that time so we could not do much. good luck!

o
RE: Need advice

Maybe instead of having them installed, you could have them put in the garage to sell later and put in what you want. But I am not sure what guarantee who will get from the builder. I assume you have signed the contract already, other than that , it should have been discussed before you did so. Just make sure anything you do now will not affect the builder's guarantee on the house. You may have to have a attorney review what the builder (not RE Agent) is doing and what you want to do.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Building a Home Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here