Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kateshome_gw

LP Smart Siding

kateshome
11 years ago

Has anyone used LP Smart Siding? How has it worked out for you?

Comments (4)

• andry
    11 years ago

I used it on our beach house a few years ago and many in that development are built with it - the builder loved it and it looks great. Has held up well on the older houses. Had my finish factory applied. Works like wood, which is a benefit over Hardie, and comes in 16' lengths so fewer seams. My builder for my new house is a certified hardie installer, so he's partial to that, but I think I'll go with LP again.

• renovator8
    11 years ago

If you search the forum you will see the subject has been discussed before.

My two reservations are that the company once made a hardboard product that rotted quickly resulting in a class-action lawsuit but they did reimburse the unlucky homeowners. Now they have added zinc borate to aspen-wood oriented-strand-board and covered it with a resin saturated paper face with three coats of edge sealer. This product seems to be working well but I'm always waiting for the bad news from anything that relies on chemicals to protect glued softwood wafers.

My other concern is that LP says it has to be painted every 3 to 5 years.

Field cut edges must be well sealed. Hopefully the maintenance schedule is overly conservative.

Here is a link that might be useful: link

This post was edited by Renovator8 on Sun, Mar 3, 13 at 12:51

• joyce_6333
    11 years ago

Our builder had suggested Smart Siding to us as an alternative to Hardie. He had trouble with warranty on the Hardie, and had seen good reports about SS. I did look at SS, but didn't care for the seaming, nor the sheen. And I didn't like any of the colors. Since we built, they have some new colors that I may have considered. I do like their fascia/trim. As with any product, proper installation and maintenance has alot to do with the durability of the product.

• andry
    11 years ago

I was just discussing this with at a supplier, and picked up some materials. I plan to get the siding prefinished - which is a Cabot company finish. There is a wide range of colors (and I think for more $ you can get any color you want, may depend where the prefinishing is happening). I don't like the colors LP can provide either. But anyway, the prefinished has a 15 year warranty, so should not need painting in 3-5 years. Other homes where my beachhouse are were done 8 years ago - look pristine.