Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
beachbum_gw

Plans that take advantage of rear view

beachbum
16 years ago

Has anyone posted their plan that takes advantage of a rear view? I don't mind searching (if you can point me in the right direction) or if you could link me there that would be great.

I know members here have some great views and beautiful homes. I figure this is a better use of my time than randomly searching those big plan shop sites.

Just trying to gather ideas....

thanks a bunch.

Comments (16)

• worf1108
    16 years ago

Check out this site.

http://www.dreamhomesource.com/house-plans-full-search-plan-detail.hwx/Q/searchId.135662576/range.10

The search that comes up has many house designs with plenty of glass in the back.

• flgargoyle
    16 years ago

Good idea to search waterfront homes- I never though of that! We have the same situation- view out the back on a sloping lot. To make it more complicated, we only plan on 1200 sq ft or so, and we want a view from the kitchen window. I'm working on my own design, and I think I have it nearly worked out, but the all-important back porch tends to block the view. That, and it's surprisingly hard to fit a stairway into a small house! Since we are building on one level (plus a basement), the design leans towards a wide ranch, so as many rooms as possible have a view.

• jasonmi7
    16 years ago

I guess we need a pic of your rear to help out more.

• craftsman_lodge
    16 years ago

On eplans.com, you can choose "expansive rear view" as a search requirement in "Advanced search". That's very helpful.

We have a sloping lot, and two of our favorite plans are HWEPL10599 on eplans.com, (which is a Mascord plan), and on Robinsonplans.com, the "I" series craftsman home plan.

• jaymielo
    16 years ago

craftsman_lodge The Mascord plan you mention was one of our favorite as well. We ended up not using it because we didn't think it would "sit" right on our lot, but I love so much about the plan.

beachbumWe went with a different Mascord plan, but I found lots of plans on his site www.mascord.com that lend themselves to rear views. You can also use their Plan Search feature to search specifically for plans where the "Direction of View" is to the rear.

Good luck! Searching through house plans is a fun stage.

• barbara_g
    16 years ago

We built a Don Gardner plan, the evergreen. It's an open floor plan and 1680 sq. ft. Wonderful rear view!

Barbara

• jeannekay
    16 years ago

The houseplan that I designed our home from (which has a lot of back view says W.L. Martin Designs and I have it saved w/ the number 24030, I don't know if that has any significance or not. Sorry that's all the help I am. If I come across anything more identifying I'll be sure and post it. It is bigger than you're thinking but may have some adjustments possible.

• soonerhouse2007
    16 years ago

We bought our plans from houseplans.com #310-230. It is a one story wide plan with a European flair. We have incredible back views from our house, but we also tweaked the plan with larger taller windows and doors.

• ccoombs1
    16 years ago

Look for house plans that include a sunroom on the back.

• kats
    16 years ago

We've been in now since last August. The pictures I'm posting where done early in the build. They show our backyard which faces a scenic road.

Due to lot size our home is long (140 ft) rather than a tradional square house. That actually worked to our benefit by allowing us to stagger rooms end to end giving us a view from every window. Interior has a very long hallway (at front of the house) to connect the rooms.

back of house.....

back of house.....

Staggered rooms....

• sierraeast
    16 years ago

Here's some rear views:

Here is a link that might be useful:

• kats
    16 years ago

Sierra,

HaHaHaHaHa......To Funny!!!!

• kelntx
    16 years ago

That was funny!

• brianherron
    16 years ago

I had a hilltop lot and I wanted two bedrooms off the back, covered decks, and kitchen family rooms to have rear views. I dnded up designing my own to get what I wanted without wasting any view.

Here is a link that might be useful: My ICF Blog