Return to the Building a Home Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Small things that get forgotten

Posted by loribug26 (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 5, 13 at 12:28

I know this has been visited numerous times, but thought I would resurrect it with a new thread since the last one is dated 8/2012 and has this disclaimer at the bottom:

Please Note: This thread has reached the upper limit for the number follow-ups allowed (150). If you would like to continue this discussion, please begin a new thread using the form on the main forum page.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Small things that get forgotten

Something I think would have been easy for us to forget: a flood light pointed at the driveway to help with snow clearing in the evening and early morning. Obviously this isn't needed everywhere. :)

o

Please link the original thread. Because, it was a good one!

o

This topic never gets old! :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Original Thread

o

Love it! Copied the entire thing! Going to re-read and make my own list.

Thanks
Loribug

o

yep, thanks Autumn.4 for catching the original thread for me.
I actually thought I had linked it, but when I went to find this thread I couldn't find it either. Computer has a mind of its own!!

The original link is excellent!

Love the flood light suggestion too, z4n, so true. ;)

o

We are the 2nd owners of our current home. I was surprised when we first looked at the home, to find that it has two sinks in the kitchen (this is neither a large kitchen nor a large, expensive home). One sink is a double basin with one really large deep side and one smaller (but still good sized) deep basin. This sink is in the corner between the dishwasher and range...angled, so there is space between the back of the sink and the corner. The other sink is a single, large, deep basin and is in the island...but really only a turn around and a step away from the other sink. Both the largest of the double-basin and the sink in the island have garbage disposals in them. After living with this arrangement, I cannot imagine EVER living in a home with only 1 sink in the kitchen! If you are in the planning stages of a home, you might consider this arrangement. It's great when we've got a houseful of people, was a life-saver when the disposal in one sink died (on Thanksgiving, of course!), and even when I work in the kitchen alone I find myself using both sinks.

o

We don't have snow problems here, but outdoor flood lights are still useful for any number of reasons: Loading/unloading the car after dark, searching for a lost something, playing basketball after dark. Oh, and security. Even if they're only used once every month or so, I would never skip flood lights.

o

wow cbw....I never thought of putting two full size sinks in, although if I get my way I'll have one in the bar also, which is just steps away from the kitchen. Our builder did say, to look for a full size, b/c sometimes they can be bought cheaper than the small "prep/bar" sinks!

Food for thought!!

o

What a great topic. I've included several of the ideas in my remodel including: electric outlet near the toilet for an upgrade to a washlet, recessed hidden storage areas with electric outlet in bathroom for hiding the electric toothbrush, water pik etc, recessed area for fire extinguisher, doubling the amt of electric outlets that I thought I would need. switching to a tankless water heater, and putting a mini pantry under the stairwell located right outside the kitchen.

o

Take pictures during construction so you can find electrical or plumbing lines if/when needed.

Put a small PVC pipe under driveways (in several places) and sidewalks (near house) in order to install outdoor lighting, driving gates, well, etc that need power. Be sure to mark them somehow, so you can find later (not always easy with pictures!)

Put an outdoor electrical outlet at your dog enclosure for dog house outdoor warming pad and/or defrosting water bowl. (Yes, this dog comes in when it's cold - to his HVAC garage kennel.)

Don't underestimate needed storage area.

o

One thing that I read on here, quite some time ago... If you have a water closet, it is helpful for the door to swing out. If a person were to collapse and be unconscious, etc., they could end up blocking the door, barring entrance.

o

Santa here. Run a circuit for a receptacle up near the roof ( I hide mine under the soffit behind the downspout.) for Christmas lights, can also be used other things including snow and ice melt if your gutters to to freeze up.

o

Way back on the original thread Annie suggested buying a blue book and keeping track of every room and incorporating the appropriate suggestions by room, following along with the construction.
I think I'm going to go to Staples today and get myself a binder with tabs and start my own blue book. This is just in time.

One of the suggestions that i read that we haven't already incorporated but that I want is a hard-wired magnifying mirror on the master bath vanity. Only in the last 5 years have I needed it, but at this point a magnifying mirror is essential.
That and I'm building a fireproof safe into a closet, both for important papers and jewelry.

o

Marji!!

You made me remember that's on my list too!

Thank you :)

o

Things I want to remember
A plug near the front porch for seasonal decorations.
Plan out placement of thermostats so they are not eyesores

o

Electrical outlets on the eaves of your home. They are great when hanging Christmas lights -- no need for extension cords!

o

This is a great solution for a small room where adding a regular door takes up too much space.

I don't think this is small forgotten thing, but maybe a solution to make a room larger.

Inside Barn Doors (sliding)

This post was edited by cricket49 on Thu, Jan 9, 14 at 16:47

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Building a Home Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here