Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
popeda

Trim question

popeda
11 years ago

We are working on interior trim. DH is working alone now, but has the skills to do what we want. We are doing a nice craftsman door and window. The thing is, we have a LOT of openings. The top part for the doors and windows takes him about 30min. each. We have a number of openings, an example being two from the living room into hallways, that butt up to walls on one side, have no doors, just openings. Should we do the full monty on these, or just try for trimming inside them with nothing on sides or tops? What did you do?

Comments (11)

• renovator8
    11 years ago

How would you omit door casings? A photo would allow us to know what you are proposing.

Are you working against a hard deadline?

• virgilcarter
    11 years ago

If you don't make the doors, windows and any cased openings consistent, it will bother you for the rest of the time you are in the house.

Take your time (whatever time it takes) and do the the job once and do it right. It's a good philosophy for lots of things, including building a house.

Good luck on your project!

• popeda
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here is a rather poor picture of an opening that has no door.

• popeda
    Original Author
    11 years ago

And here is a window with the "full monty" trim, nail holes unfilled, but you get the idea. Same top design on doors. Windows close together get one long top piece. I am SO glad DH is a better carpenter than I am photographer.

No deadline at all, other than our wish to DONE and our ages which are nearing the Medicare mark.

This post was edited by hddana on Sun, Mar 17, 13 at 17:14

• virgilcarter
    11 years ago

Window is beautifully trimmed, but lacking an important sill piece to match the width of the jambs and head.

Your framed openings are problematic because they did not allow enough furring on the left to have matching jamb trim on right and left. I suggest you add additional furring so that the right and left jamb trim are identical.

Good luck on your project.

• sombreuil_mongrel
    11 years ago

You know he can speed things up immensely by prefabbing those architraves on the workbench, and install them in one piece. Forgive me if he is already doing that. It's just a matter of making a good cut list.
    Casey

• popeda
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Virgil: He had already decided to fur out the sides, he's usually one step ahead of me. My brother also chimed in about needing an apron, is that what you mean on the sill piece?He is only doing aprons on windows above tub, up high, but I think he would add them later if the budget holds promise. Or is there something else you were thinking about? Can you give a picture of one that you have in mind?

Sombreuil: He is making them and installing in one piece, still time consuming.

• virgilcarter
    11 years ago

Yes, I suppose "apron" is a good term for the trim piece added below the sill trim. Here's a photo:

• popeda
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Does it extend beyond the line of the side pieces? I like the little pencil trim piece on the bottom the apron. Better not show that to DH right away...

• virgilcarter
    11 years ago

The trim is traditional Colonial "bead" trim, used throughout Revolutionary War Colonials.

It's one piece with one edge milled in a bead, half-round shape. If you look carefully, you can see it in the photo below on the base trim, chair rail, and all window trim pieces, head, jamb and apron.

Good luck with your project!

• popeda
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the help, Virgil.