Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mythreesonsnc_gw

windows -- Pella, Anderson, or other???

mythreesonsnc
14 years ago

We have just bid our house and the window number was HUGE --- yikes! We want windows to look like an "old" house, but like modern convenience as well. I had in mind using a simulated divided light to achieve this, but the number scared us! The Pella guy suggested we do the SDL in the architect series on the front of the house, but we could maybe go to a pro-line with fixed mullions on the rear to save some money. It would maybe reduce the bill by 8-10k, which is significant, but I wondered if there is another good choice of window which might help us achieve this look, while spending money on the window itself, vs. the name brand of Pella Architect. I know some people on this site don't believe is valuable to begin with! I am hoping to get a suggestion of a brand / type of window which might save us 10-20% over the Pella architect series. Any suggestions out there? At one point we looked at Windsor, but I am not sure if we'd save that much? Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Comments (13)

• pps7
    14 years ago

You didn't mention what type if windows you are interested in. Wood, aluminum clad wood, vinyl, fiberglass. Also are you looking at casement or double hung. We looked extrudedaluminum clad sdl casement and we usd Windsor.

• mythreesonsnc
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Absolutely right --- We are planning double hung, aluminum clad. I like the extruded aluminum of the Windsor vs. Pella (though Pella acts like this is no big deal at all). pps7, do you by chance have any pictures of your home / windows?

Thanks again for the response. Rachel

• pps7
    14 years ago

ooops sorry for the typos. Was on my iphone.

We only looked at extruded aluminum clad and if I remember correctly Pella is a rolled aluminum, not extruded.

Others we looked at:

Marvin Ultimate casement and Kolbe were the nicest and most expensive.

Jeldwen has 3 lines. Custom Wood (formerly Pozzi)-was too expensive. Premium (formerly Norco) was cheaper, but not that much cheaper than Marvin and I felt the Marvin was far better. Jeldwen Builder's series is rolled aluminum cladding.

The Windsor was cheaper than all the above. We felt it was good enough. My husband and son have bad allergies so we don't open windows that often.

May want to look at Marvin Integrity as well. I would get quotes from all of these.

Here's the house so far, obviously we haven't moved in yet, so can't comment on quality yet. My SIL used Windsor for her build 6 years ago and doesn't have any complaints.

{{gwi:1421546}}

• allison0704
    14 years ago

We looked at many window manufacturers (Pella, Marvin, Windsor and a few more) before deciding on BiltBest extruded aluminum casement SDL with wood interior. We also have three triple and one single french door sets on our lower veranda. The lower and front veranda have wooden french doors. My parents ended up using them at their lakehouse and our GC has used them on several homes since working with them for the 1st time on our build. We've been in 4.5 years and no problems.

Our first bid was high, so we went from the "mansion series" to the next lower level (in size) which made these windows 6" shorter in height. These are over 6ft tall, we don't miss that 6" and the lake/ridge view was not hurt. We also went through and made many non-operable... but each room has at least one that opens, some like the sunroom, has four operable. These changes lowered the bid by 30K.

Their newer site is off-line at the moment:
    http://www.biltbest-windows-and-patio-doors.com/

But the old one is working:

Here is a link that might be useful: BiltBest

• mythreesonsnc
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I actually tried to look at biltbest today and got the website under construction notice, so thanks for that link. pps7 and Allison, thanks so much for the responses --- this look is what I want -- your houses are so nice (Allison, I have so many of your house pictures clipped in my inspiration folder, and pps7, can't wait to see more, it looks so pretty)! But, 60+k seems like too much in windows alone, so I really appreciate the suggestions. Thanks for the responses.

• jumab
    14 years ago

I'm new posting here but have been lurking for awhile and thought I would respond. We are also doing a new build and priced with Marvin, Anderson and Kobe. Out of the 3, Anderson came in the highest and Marvin and Kobe came in pretty close but Kobe ended up offering us quite a few upgrades incl. oil-bronzed handles. We have 47 windows ranging from 75"x75" to 36"x32" all with transoms and a 12 ft. patio door slider, wood front door entrance, they came in at 48K.

Hope that helps!

• tooskinneejs
    14 years ago

We're using Hurd windows. Their website isn't the best, but I've seen their simulated divided lites in person and they look great.

• allison0704
    14 years ago

Did you try the link? It's working (not the new one). Attaching page that has the downloadable info below.

Here is a link that might be useful: biltBest

• allison0704
    14 years ago

Thank you. :) Have you seen the inside tour an online magazine did of my home? The architect also posted on his blog and FB about the tour, then asked us to participate in a new section on his website about our experience working with them long distance (not on website yet).

Here is a link that might be useful: house tour

• mythreesonsnc
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Allison....Have I seen it? Are you crazy, I've gone through your tour SOOO many times because I love it so much! I've clipped pictures for stone, arches on your porch (with the forms), your kitchen, your pantry, and your windows. I'm sure I'm even forgetting some, but your house is SO beautiful. Thanks for being so generous with the help and details.

jumab, thanks for the real life bidding info on the others. I am so surprised that Anderson came in more than Marvin. I have heard of Kobe, but I thought the name was Kolbe --- are they two different manufacturers? Thanks for the info and I can't wait to see pictures --- your windows sound great!

tooskinneejs --- I have heard of Hurd, but ages ago, so thanks again for the reminder. This is why I love this site. So many helpful people and such a great exchange of ideas.

Thanks again!

• macv
    14 years ago

Talking about window manufacturers without specifying the models is misleading and a waste of everyone's time.

If the price of an Andersen Woodwright is more than a Marvin Ultimate Double-hung then you are buying from the wrong supppliers.

• jumab
    14 years ago

I apologize, it is Kolbe, my typo.

We priced windows with Ultimate Casement from Marvin and Ultra Casement from Kolbe both similar with the same features. Good luck with your decision!