Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
naplesguy_gw

Cost of Front Door?

NaplesGuy
12 years ago

I got a quote from my builder for our front door.

84" x 123 Impact Rated Unit, Door: 42" x 99" x 2.25" S.A. Mahogany with divided lite transom and side lites.

Price includes:

Stain grade mahogany jamb 10.5"

5x5 B.B. Hinges with NRP

Bronze Q-Lon weatherstripping

Standard Bore

Shipping and Delivery

Full wood threshold

The design is fairly simple - 3 boxes on the door made from applied molding.

The price quoted is $12,800 + 1,200 for installation for a total of $14,000.

I have no experience to tell me if that is in the ballpark or not. I was hoping to hear from people if the price is reasonable.

Comments (18)

• mydreamhome
    12 years ago

Sounds high to me. You might want to check out DSA Master Crafted Doors for a comparison. Our mahogany front door came from them and the door cost about $3500 for everything. The trim guy did the install. I'm sure the impact rating increases the cost significantly. The link below will take you the door we went with on the DSA site. You can navigate the different styles from there.

Hope this helps!

Here is a link that might be useful: DSA Master Crafted Doors

• gingerjenny
    12 years ago

WOW! i'm not sure but $14,000 buys a new car or something! that is a lot of money for a front door.

• bevangel_i_h8_h0uzz
    12 years ago

Front doors ARE expensive but some places are MUCH more expensive than others. We wanted pre-hung double front doors with leaded glass inserts and a coordinating leaded glass transom above. Prices of very similar doors - and similar quality - at our four local shops ranged from $4500 (installed) to over $16,000! Shop around. If you're willing to go with something similar but not identical to your original design, you can probably do a lot better. Just be sure to go with a reputable company. A warped front door or one that is not installed straight and true will bug you every time you use it.

• sis3
    12 years ago

Our heavy duty, 96" tall, double mahogany entry doors with 16 divided insulated lights (the sealed glass units I chose had to be shipped to Florida from Canada) cost $2700 5 years ago. I don't know how prices will have changed since then if at all. I purchased the doors from a local door and window dealer.

• michoumonster
    12 years ago

$14k for the door sounds like it will be from a high end manufacturer.
    I have been getting front door quotes for a 6x8 foot arch custom door. I got a couple of quotes for $12k to $15k but that was for solid walnut from higher end places. They said if I went with oak or mahogany, I could trim the price by a couple thousand. The others quotes I got for mahogany were about $5k to 6k, probably more from mid-tier manufacturers.

• sis3
    12 years ago

I should have mentioned that I elected to purchase my custom doors unfinished as I wanted to finish them myself.

We have a deep front entry porch that shields the doors from the rain and most of the sun but still our hot and humid Florida climate can be brutal to wood. After almost 6 years the doors still look like new. They are heavy and well made. I think they will easily outlive us! I guess it pays to do your research really well to be sure that you ARE in fact getting what you pay for!

• LilFlowers MJLN
    12 years ago

Holy Moly, $14,000 is a heck of a lot of money for an entry door. The door that I want is mahogany, 6 lite, 3/4 panel, 8' double entry doors. It's pretty common to see the doors that I want here in Louisiana. I don't know if I ever saw a $14000 price tag on a door around here. I think I would be looking elsewhere for a door.

Here is a link that might be useful: The door that I want

• peytonroad
    12 years ago

I got an 8 ft custom made full iron door with glass for 2/3rds that price!!

• mydreamhome
    12 years ago

TiffanyLA--If I remember right, DSA also makes the door you want and it was ~$2500 :-)

• galore2112
    12 years ago

$1200 to install a front door???

Let's see: three laborers, generously paid $25/hour. Takes them I guess 4 hours for a total labor charge of $300. $900 for the pimp. LOL!!!!

• LilFlowers MJLN
    12 years ago

Thanks, mydreamhome! ;) We actually have a price now at $1900 with a local door supply company but we haven't started our building process yet. It will probably be $2500 when we start building which will (hopefully) be by the end of next year.

• lannie59
    12 years ago

I went back and looked at the sizes of the unit for $12,800 and this is quite the door. A solid door 2.25" thick, 3' 6" wide, and 99" tall is a lot of door. The width of the entire unit is 84" including the door and 2 sidelights and you go to 10' 3" in height to include a transom. If these are true divided lites with insulated and tempered glass the cost will be great. Also you are showing a 10.5" jamb out of mahogany, a wood threshold and ball bearing hinges. If this is a custom door manufacturer then the cost may be justified and if shipping is included. If this is built as one unit it will take 3 men to install so $1200 is not too far off.

• brickeyee
    12 years ago

"$1200 to install a front door???

Let's see: three laborers, generously paid $25/hour. Takes them I guess 4 hours for a total labor charge of $300. $900 for the pimp. LOL!!!!"

You left out insurance for the door getting damaged, the equipment and supplies to install the door (priced out 6 foot level lately?), the interior trim (you do want to to look good, right?), the folks may well be in the clock from an office or business location to drive to the job site, the time it took to prep the bid (you did not think it was free I hope), and all the little details of getting the right workers to do the job.

It is obvious you have never done work like this for a living.

• lannie59
    12 years ago

I am also assuming the house this is going in is a custom one.
    If the architect specified this door then it is in keeping with the budget for this house. A door of this size is not going in a $100/sq ft, but rather $300-$500 or higher/sq ft.
    If this door will make a statement both inside and out then the price will be worth it.

• athensmomof3
    12 years ago

Ours was custom walnut, walnut sidelights, true divided lights. Single door with glass and raised panel below. It was not cheap - I want to say 4k or so. We have no transom, and an 8' door. Yours sounds more elaborate! Worth bidding out for sure though ;)

• NaplesGuy
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I sent it to DSA to quote, but they replied that they don't do impact rated doors. Being in Naples, Fl, I think impact rating is a good idea.

So I asked my builder to get a few more bids from suppliers he may know.

• kfhl
    12 years ago

NaplesGuy - I am working on the same issue in Sarasota. I would appreciate it if you would let me know what you find. We will have all impact windows, but at this point we are considering shuttering the front door so that we can get something attractive that doesn't break the budget.
    We can't seem to find an attractive impact rated door for less than $12,000.