Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
newbie21_gw

help with exterior

newbie21
11 years ago

Cant decide on exterior. Need to make a decision! Current plan is rock up to window level across the entire front, (maybe rock area around door under front porch). Front porch will have two wood columns framing in the door with rock bases. Prodigy, deep moss, double 6 vinyl siding above the rock. Wood colored shakes across the gables. Anybody agree to this plan or have any suggestions(use of board and batten look etc). I know cement board would be upgrade, but budget has ruled it out. I should note there will be another window added above garage. The exterior design and color is a big choice and I am having trouble making the final decision. I had hoped once it was framed it might be easier, but I just cant seem to settle on anything. Its not a huge, fancy house, but it is mine and I'd like to make it as nice at the budget will allow.

Comments (13)

• newbie21
    Original Author
    11 years ago

sorry image didn't upload

• jannz77
    11 years ago

RE: Current plan is rock up to window level across the entire front, (maybe rock area around door under front porch).

?? What kind of 'rock' were you thinking of..??.. ie; color, etc

• zone4newby
    11 years ago

The rule of thumb is to limit yourself to 2 siding materials-- right now you're planning three. I think it would look better to have a section of full height rock (maybe around the front door?) instead of having it only up to the window height. Especially in a one-story home, having the height split up like that is going to make it look squatty.

Personally, I might skip the rock and spend the savings on landscaping or something else.

• newbie21
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Was thinking something similar to this

with this rock

http://stone.plygem.com/plygem/images/colors/pgs_sl_autumn_66.jpg

This post was edited by newbie21 on Sun, Mar 17, 13 at 16:58

• newbie21
    Original Author
    11 years ago

sorry here is the stone

• newbie21
    Original Author
    11 years ago

zone4... thanks for the advice. I am including a photo from better angle. Do you still think it will appear squatty?

• Annie Deighnaugh
    11 years ago

I know the waterline of stone or brick is popular now, but I'm not a fan as I think it shortens the look of the house. The inspiration pic really has a lot of exterior materials and I think it would be improved by simplification.

• zone4newby
    11 years ago

If you want to use stone, I'd limit it to covering the foundation/walkout basement. Letting the first floor be just one material will look better, I think.

• chispa
    11 years ago

Why so few (and small) windows in the 2 sides shown in the photo?

• virgilcarter
    11 years ago

Why are you considering this now? Wasn't it worked out and resolved before construction (as it should have been)?

This is a text-book example of how design direction and budgets get out of whack on a residential project.

Best advice was given above: limit exterior materials paletted to two compatible materials, plus trim. More than that just transforms a house to a supplier of materials demonstration example.

Good luck with your project.

• newbie21
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Chispa, the existing gable window hasnt been cut out to its full size yet. There will be another widow added above garage. The bedrooms are located on the front and each has an oversized window with transom. The living areas are located on the back of the house and that side is almost all windows.

Virgil, your point is well taken. I am considering removing things from the plan (not adding) so it should only help the budget. Your right though, this should have been settled before now. I guess the confidence i had with the 2d drawing is not carrying over to the framed house.

Thank you all for the advice!

This post was edited by newbie21 on Mon, Mar 18, 13 at 20:27

• Annie Deighnaugh
    11 years ago

If you want to create a waterline, I would stone the foundation, clapboard the first floor and put the trim board there, and use shakes above the trim board, so the gable end of the house would have the 3 materials showing, the front garage would have 2 and the dormers would have 1. It would help break up the large plain side over the garage and give you some of the look of the inspiration without being too much.

• motherof3sons
    11 years ago

Newbie - That picture is one we looked at multiple times. Our homes are somewhat similar with walkout and sloping lot. We chose to place stone on the walkout and sloping side. Our subdivision has a 20% minimum on the front and we stoned up to and around the windows. We have enough stone left to stone the foundation wall below the band board on the front and the side of the garage that is toward the front. The gable braces will be installed this summer along with shutters.