Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jennybc_gw

Dirty face flooring? Heard of it? Used it?

jennybc
11 years ago

We are trying to decide on flooring and we came across dirty face oak flooring. Has anyone had any experience with it? How do you finish it? We are in the heart of horse country and reclaimed barn wood is used frequently. But this is the first I've seen a new product left rugged. I love the pics but have not seen it in person... Yet.

Any thoughts?
Also posting in flooring forum.

Jenny

Comments (12)

• lazy_gardens
    11 years ago

It appears to be a name for extremely rough oak flooring, unplaned so you can see the saw marks.

http://www.directflooringmill.com/
    http://www.directflooringmill.com/WoodGrade.html

• jennybc
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the links. I was going to post them today. I also looked into the BBB reviews and they have only been in existance since Feb of this year for the BBB, so not much on them.

Thanks again

• jennybc
    Original Author
    11 years ago

So far the company has been really good. Returned phone calls and very informative. Sent quote and are sending samples for us to look at. Will let you know...

• GreenDesigns
    11 years ago

I can't imagine cleaning or walking on such a rough floor. I think the novelty would wear very thin by about the third time I tried to run a damp mop over it and had to get the tweezers out and crawl on my hands and knees to remove all of the mop fragments from the snags.

• jennybc
    Original Author
    11 years ago

LOL! Yeah that visual was priceless and would be pretty bad!

You sand it just as you would a normal smooth floor. The sanding will not take out the saw marks but it will get very smooth in touch but still look rough. You stain and/or seal like normal. Its just got a lot of character. You see it a lot here with reclaimed barn and fence wood in the Bluegrass. Usually you can only get the look with true reclaimed wood, that breaks the bank! Never seen it in new wood and am very interested in it. They are sending me samples, can't wait! I'm probably already sold. We shall see.

• Lori Wagerman_Walker
    10 years ago

I want to know what you've come up with?? :)

I ran across this the other day too, and really like it....

• jennybc
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hey~ Ok this is where we are. We ordered samples. I love the dirty face! However; since we plan on doing the entire house with hardwood flooring we decided against the dirty face. It has great character, but we didn't want it to overwhelm the rest of the house. So we ordered the rustic 5" (might change to 4" when it comes time to finalize the order). The rustic is selected by removing all of the "select" grade and then leaving everything else. We love the look we see of grade 2 and cabin grade but around here when you go to buy grade 2 or cabin it is usually much shorter lengths 2'-4'. This company sells the rustic as everything but select, in lengths from 4'-11'. averaging at about 7'. We are looking forward to working with them and are hoping for a great outcome! I will post pictures and more info as we proceed...
    BTW we received samples of walnut, red oak, and white, we are partial to red oak. (We currently have red and love it) Almost went with the walnut. Might do rustic over the garage down the road.

Jen

• jennybc
    Original Author
    10 years ago

My bank advised me to contact the attorney general, hoping they call me back instead.
    If they see this... I welcome a conversation.
    Jen

Jen

This post was edited by jennybc on Sat, Nov 2, 13 at 6:48

• jdez
    10 years ago

Thanks for the heads-up Jen. I'm shopping for flooring now but have decided to buy from a local mom and pop flooring store. It costs a little more but I like being able to talk to them and stop by and speak to them face-to-face. I was having second thoughts because it is probably costing me an extra $1 to $2 a sq foot to buy from them but you made me realize that I'm probably doing the right thing. Our build won't even begin until December at the earliest. I hope the AG can help you out. I wish you luck with whatever happens.

• chicagoans
    10 years ago

Jen that stinks, I'm so sorry. If you paid with a credit card be sure to dispute the charges with your card provider.

If you paid with check... yikes. I hope the AG can help.

This is a long shot... but if you check the domain name on WHOIS you get this info:
    Domain Name: DIRECTFLOORINGMILL.COM
    Registrar: REGISTER.COM, INC.
    Whois Server: whois.register.com
    Referral URL: http://www.register.com
    Name Server: A.NS.INTERLAND.NET
    Name Server: B.NS.INTERLAND.NET
    Updated Date: 05-feb-2013
    Creation Date: 05-feb-2013
    Expiration Date: 05-feb-2015

If I'm reading this right, the website is hosted by InterLand (now called web.com.) I don't know if they'll care, but I'd tell them that they're hosting a site that is committing fraud. Contact info here: http://www.aboutus.org/InterLand.net

For the other site:
    Domain Name: DHARDWOODFLOOR.COM
    Registrar: TUCOWS DOMAINS INC.
    Whois Server: whois.tucows.com
    Referral URL: http://domainhelp.opensrs.net
    Name Server: NS1.MDNSSERVICE.COM
    Name Server: NS2.MDNSSERVICE.COM
    Name Server: NS3.MDNSSERVICE.COM
    Updated Date: 29-aug-2013
    Creation Date: 29-aug-2013
    Expiration Date: 29-aug-2014

tucows has been around for a long time; that doesn't mean they'll care but I think they have a decent reputation. contact info on tucows.com

• Lori Wagerman_Walker
    10 years ago

wow Jen, so sorry to hear this!! :(

• worthy
    10 years ago

So another rave review.

Why I rarely buy online unless from real world companies.

Good luck.