floppyfish_gw

Please help me choose an elevation design

floppyfish
10 years ago

Tell me your thoughts on these two designs:

Comments (14)

• Chadoe3
    10 years ago

I like B, it looks more balanced. I think the off-center window over the garage doors in A would makes the house look like it's listing. That would drive me bonkers.

• maggiepie11
    10 years ago

i think the pencil sketch doesn't truly show how different the two variations would be in real life.

my untrained eye took a long time to even find what was different about them. :)

do you have side views you can post as well?

• floppyfish
    Original Author
    10 years ago

You are right, there is little difference in them except the roof line on the left extends below the window. This causes the windows to be shifted to the right but the roof line that comes down in my opinion draws your eye back to the left

• floppyfish
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Anyone else have thoughts? I am leaning towards A because I love the roof line but I am nervous it will look strange not centered.

• Naf_Naf
    10 years ago

Do you have a roof plan? There is something off with this roof. I doubt the top part will be/look like that.

• floppyfish
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This is all we have so far. I appreciate your input. Can you explain what you mean? The top will not look that way?

• Naf_Naf
    10 years ago

I need to see the roof to be sure.
    An accurate elevation requires a roof plan (Unless is something very simple but this does not look to be the case. Maybe your designer/architect has one? You can request it.
    I know designers that just throw lines together and then the final roof is not quite as the original elevations.
    You see that horizontal line from left to right on top? I think it will not be like that. But a roof plan could prove me wrong.

To answer your original question, I think option A will be my choice as it conceals the fact that garage and the gable do not have the same width.

• bpath
    10 years ago

At first I liked B, then I read naf's notes and now I don't quite understand the garage roof on B. That got me looking at A, which was a little more straightforward, and I found the asymmetry interesting.

Perhaps you do need a roof plan, and more than a pencil sketch for the elevation.

• floppyfish
    Original Author
    10 years ago

We live in Toronto, Ontario and this style of roof is common. I don't think he has the roof plan but maybe our inspiration home picture would help. This house is about 2 miles from ours.

• floppyfish
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This is the roof from iphone maps. As you can see the the front is decoration but the real roof is simple. Does this help?

• Naf_Naf
    10 years ago

Yes it does, It makes sense now.

• Awnmyown
    10 years ago

My eyes went right to B, but then I had NO idea why. I kept looking thinking "B looks better, way better...but why?!"

Finally figured out that with the shift in the dormers and roof in A, it makes the middle of the house (front door space) seem smushed. Like someone jammed those pieces together, where B is nice and even and lined up. I'd go B all the way.

• housebuilder14
    10 years ago

i like b but i am symmetry kind of freak

• lyfia
    10 years ago

I like B - I dislike the asymmetry in A. Looks lopsided to me like the 2nd floor was shifted on top of the house.

Look at your inspiration and you'll see windows lining up with doors or other windows below, even though they are different sizes. Looks much better.

So are you saying you have a flat roof on top? Like a Mansard style? I see a little bit of a slope in the inspiration top part, but still looks like flat roof material. If I had options I wouldn't want anything close to a flat roof, unless it was a standing seam metal roof for a low slope application.