Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aucorley_gw

Sound from 2nd floor Rec room

aucorley
12 years ago

I have researched this forum about sound proofing, and I'm wondering what you all have experienced in your build.

We have a second floor rec room above the 1st floor living room. I am wondering how loud this might be and whether you all have done anything relatively inexpensive to cut down on some of the sound traveling downstairs. The upstairs is carpeted (not chosen yet) and the ceilings on the first floor are 10ft ceilings.

I'm not overly concerned about this as it is mainly a want and not a necessity.

Thanks for all the advice as usual!!

Comments (4)

• bevangel_i_h8_h0uzz
    12 years ago

We have our master (with hardwood floors) directly over our living room (10ft ceilings) and I can DEFINITELY hear DH walking around up there when I'm downstairs. It doesn't particularly bother me because it is just the two of us but if we had more people living in the house, I'd definitely want some soundproofing between the floors.

When my brothers come to visit with their kids, things sometimes get a bit noisy. Guest bedrooms are over the kitchen, dining, and library areas and my brothers kids sound like troops of elephants tromping around upstairs. So we instituted a socks-only upstairs policy when they were here. That helped to reduce how loud their footsteps sounded AND helped protect my wood floors. LOL!

I'm sure if we had carpets upstairs, it wouldn't be nearly as loud but, if I had teenagers living here all the time, I doubt that carpets and carpet padding would suffice to muffle their noise enough for me.

I'm assuming that your 2nd floor rec room will sometimes be used at the same time as your 1st floor living room. (Maybe adults downstairs and kids playing upstairs?) If so, I'd definitely look into additional noise proofing...or at least spring for extra thick/dense carpet padding.

• aucorley
    Original Author
    12 years ago

We will also have a no shoes policy for upstairs and yes the rooms are likely going to be used simultaneously. We have teenagers and will have a game table and pool table and theater area taking up a lot of the space. I wondered how loud music/movies from upstairs would be heard downstairs too.
    Granted, there will be sound, but wondering if anyone had inexpensive tips to help muffle some of the sounds that travel. I will make note of the padding for the carpet being better for that room.

• Brent B
    12 years ago

Wait till the banging of the pool table balls and the sub from the theatre room transfer downstairs, could possibly become a need rather than a want.
    I would consider getting some pro advice with regards to the noise transfer.

Consider using a dead space and more insulation between floors.

• kirkhall
    12 years ago

This thread might be helpful to you:

Here is a link that might be useful: sound transmission