Return to the Building a Home Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tiniest 'wet room' and walk-in pantry--too tiny ?

Posted by putschki (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 20, 12 at 11:31

Hi everyone. Our design provides for a 9' wide x 30' mudroom that straddles the kitchen/FR and attached garage. It provides a family entrance for 3 kids, drop zone, laundry, and leads out to the pool. In addition to lots of storage on both sides of a 4'6" passage, I would like the mudroom to contain a walk-in pantry and a bathroom so the swimmers do their showering and pottying here. Do you think...

* 2'8" x 7'5" is too small for a walk-in shower and toilet used primarily by kids? Shower on one end, toilet on other, pocket door in between. I would be open to having this be a "wet room' where the whole room is tiled w/ floor drain (will have to figure out the toilet paper shelter), and also open to having no sink since the laundry sink will be right next to this bathroom

* 5' wide x 4'8" deep too tiny for a walk-in pantry to store food, Costco purchases, cleaning supplies ? I would probably do a cute long curtain in lieu of door. It would actually be a walk-thru pantry as it would be open to the kitchen on on end, to the mudroom on the other.

Thank you for your wisdom, home builders !

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tiniest 'wet room' and walk-in pantry--too tiny ?

I would try to go 36" wide. Other than that I think you are good, and you could still have a tiny handwashing sink. I would try to do an in-the-wall tank, wall hung toilet.

If the toilet paper is high up, and in a recessed holder you should avoid saturating it. You could also used a covered commercial holder.

o

Hi Palimpsest. Thanks for weighing in. I agree 3' would be ideal if I'm willing to cramp the mudroom passageway. A tiny sink would also be ideal but I figure that area between the toilet and shower will also have to serve as the swimsuit-changing area, so may be better to keep it clear.

o

Well, you need to have a sink, so I'm guessing it's in the mudroom area? I'd rather have more room in the bathroom/wet room, than the passageway. Do you have other access to the pool area..maybe from the kitchen or family room? Then, it's mainly kids, running back and forth to the pool.

o

There could actually be a small sink mounted in the corner of the shower.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Building a Home Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here