Return to the Building a Home Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need Curb Appeal help from all of you creative members.

Posted by HarpersCabin (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 6, 13 at 10:28

We are building a one story lake house (with walkout) on a very steep back sloping lot. The depth of the house will have to be minimal (36ft max) and the width will be around 70ft. We want a sort of beachy/cottage like feel. The wide shallow roofline is giving us fits keeping good curb appeal. Does anyone have a good front rendering or tips on giving this thing curb appeal? I don't want it to look like a double-wide manufactured home. Does my crude sketch look too bland? We are considering shake shingle exterior, but are also open to some sort of other concrete or vinyl siding. Nothing too expensive. HELP PLEASE!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need Curb Appeal help from all of you creative members.

Could you post the floor plan so we can see what is going on?

o

In general I find such regular symmetry too formal for a beach house -- any way you could move the garage around to the side, or into a separate building of its own? Then give your front door more depth with a big porch -- you're after a welcoming feeling that will pull the viewer in, right?

This is the infamous Something's Gotta Give movie beach house, but it's illustrative: you would likely get a LOT of use and pleasure out of a much bigger porch that wraps around the home and provides a nice buffer between lake and house.

o

PS! This is my former bungalow, a very modest 24' x 37'. You can do an awful lot with overarching porches and dormers to increase the curb appeal and coziness, and negate the rectangular "double-wide" feeling.

If you have a sketch of the shape of the lot and what the landscaping is like, that would help immensely.

o

Circus: We are sill tweaking the floor plan, but here is what we have now. Essentially, we want kitchen/living room to take advantage of rear view. As for the lot/landscaping. There is a gentle left to right slope but the front to rear slope is drastic. We can't do a side load garage due to the lot size (and slope). There won't be any landscaping to speak of other than in the direct front of the house. The house will only sit about 20 ft off of a small lane/street. Lots of windows on back, but not many needed on the front side. I love that house photo from the movie, but need help making it still look cottage-like with a one story. Your bungalow is cool. Love it. Seems hard to keep the cottage look when needing low and wide rather than tall and narrow.

o

The slit-like windows and solid doors convey the feel of a fortress rather than a welcoming home.
Windows with a wider proportion and some glass at the doorway (sidelites if not a glazed door) make it more welcoming.
Casey

o

Can you post some pictures of the beachy/cottage look you are trying to get? They look different in different parts of the country and we have people here from all over.

o

Oh man... I don't care for those front windows at all!
Why so very narrow?

o

Take a look at this lakeside setting, which busts the cube and orthagonal geometry for great effect: http://www.ldarchitects.com/projects/view/bear_hill_pond

Good luck on your project.

o

Ha. I can widen those windows. Part of issue is security since not a full time home. Some we like are here:
http://pinterest.com/cair88/entrance/
I suppose real issue is whether to go with this footprint with symmetrical ends that stick out. We like these
http://associateddesigns.com/plan/30500
or maybe change to front more like these where center stick out
http://www.architecturalhouseplans.com/home_plans/200
Or
http://www.familyhomeplans.com/print_plan_details.cfm?PlanNumber=24717
Please understand I am open for ALL suggestions for mt dimensions with front load garage. But I do like screened porch idea behind garage.
I really appreciate feedback so far

o

The stair is not ok. You have a landing that is 3' and the flights are 4'10" wide. The stairs is one of the things that needs to be defined early.

The front and back roof pitch can be different than the sides roof pitch in case you need the roof to look higher in the front.

Sometimes there is not need of too many bells and whistles in order to add charm to a cottage.
Are you going to involve a designer or an architect in the process?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Building a Home Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here