Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stitchin1950

Interior Trim - Paint , Stain or Combination

stitchin1950
12 years ago

I have been researching the site for pics of interior trims. I have currently selected medium stained wood trim and doors thru out the first floor. And I feel I will need to coordinate the kitchen and bath cabinet stain with that trim. Have I been seeing more white/painted trim in the pics? Is painted trim the current trend? I really don't want my first and only new build to be out of date when completed! My husband thinks all stained trim would look warm and I am concerned it will look dark and heavy. Is it possible to have a combo of both - like wood doors and painted door and window trim and baseboards? Where would I look for more pics of interior trim options? Mild panic starting since final decision time is approaching.

Comments (8)

• nini804
    12 years ago

You can try houzz.com for tons of pictures. I don't think painted vs. stained trim is a trend thing, usually. I am Southern, and I love old, classic homes with heavy painted trim because, well, that is what I am used to seeing in the south. And I love it....looks gorgeous with tall ceilings. In other parts of the country, craftsman and/or bungalow styles are more the norm, with lovely stained trim. I certainly appreciate that look, but I wouldn't want it for me.

I have a dear friend who built a gorgeous farmhouse on 30+ acres. It has high ceilings and painted trim, but they used gorgeous stained wood doors throughout the interior. They were reclaimed from her Dh's childhood home. It looks stunning. You can definitely have stained doors with painted trim.

• User
    12 years ago

see this thread from about a few months ago.

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/build/msg1112273526788.html

• gaonmymind
    12 years ago

It depends on the look you like. Neither will get outdated. I personally like painted trim. Too much wood makes things a little heavy for my taste. Especially if there is wood on the floor. But it honestly will boil down to the style of the house. I have seen it done great and terrible in each category.

• babs711
    12 years ago

It's just a personal preference. I'm also from the south. But I see mostly painted trim in the new custom homes as well as the older stately homes. But lots of older nice homes have stained trim and look lovely also. I prefer painted with stained wood floors. I like that one can mix in stained doors and beams and not look too heavy. But I advise you to look at sites like pinterest and houzz to see what you prefer. It'll come to you!

• krycek1984
    12 years ago

Our house has stained wood trim on the first floor, and whited painted trim on the second floor. I think it's a very nice combination. The second floor feels fresh and airy, and the first floor is more traditional and "fancy", I guess I would say. If I had to go either way, I'd go stained. IMHO stained wood time is timeless. Many people purchase old homes primarily because of the woodwork and beautiful trim.

• User
    12 years ago

You see a lot more painted trim because it is significantly cheaper to do than stained trimwork.

• Brad Edwards
    12 years ago

Directed at Nini,

If you look at most of the really, really old southern homes, like 100+ "the ones that were built really well" you'll find a lot of them had stained trim.

You can butcher stained trim just as easily as painted.

Stained trim to me adds character more so than painted as it won't need to be touched up if dinged up, ever. Paint selection with stained trim seems much more critical though, dark trim with a medium paint can look pretty dark. I prefer a medium trim stain, pecan, light walnut, cherry, even gun stock, with an even lighter neutral but thats just me.

• Brad Edwards
    12 years ago

I agree with babs, painted if you have wood floors seems to go better to me, although I have seen some mixed trim that looks amazing, its usually a stained trim with an overly large painted quarter round to give a wood, paint, wood type symmetry.