Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ky1999

Framing Plan????

Ky1999
10 years ago

Hello everyone! We have been planing our house design with a draftsman for the past couple of months. We received the final plans this week & I provided them to 4 contractors who are bidding on the project. The plans included a foundation plan, all outside elevations, and main floor & second floor layouts. One of the contractors seems very bothered by the fact that we did not provide a framing plan. Our draftsman says that all contractors frame differently so this plan shouldn't be necessary. Can someone help? Do we need a framing plan? What is the industry standard? Thanks in advance!

Comments (12)

• virgilcarter
    10 years ago

Are there unusual or complicated spans and connections? Are there unusual transfer of live, dead and total loads?

These are typical conditions for framing plans and details.

If the house plan is a rather simple rectangular shape, with direct transfer of loads via stud walls and roofing will be standard rafters or trusses (which have to be designed at the truss manufacturer's location), most experienced builders can handle.

The fact that one of the builders is asking for a framing plan is enough for a quick review: 1) your plan is more complicated than you think; 2) the builder may not be very experienced; 3) something else. It's probably a good idea to discuss the situation with that builder.

Good luck with your project.

• Ky1999
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you so much for responding. I have attached (I hope) a draft of the main level. You will see that the open space is very open. I realize that we may have to use columns but I would like to avoid that option if possible. This area is the space causing concern for the contractor. I anticipate that some of the bids will include plans for I-joists while others may include trusses. This draft doesn't include measurements but the total area of the kitchen/dining/living area is approx 51' x 17'. Any thoughts on the plan?

• Kinsley7
    10 years ago

Would you mind posting a pic of your elevation drawing?

• Ky1999
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sure. Here it is:

• Kinsley7
    10 years ago

Thanks- I was curious about what that much width on the right side was going to look like from the front exterior. Have you considered widening the porch on the left side to balance it out? It looks like an efficient first floor layout...what is your total square footage?

• Ky1999
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks so much for the info! I definitely do not like surprises so we are going to figure this issue out beforehand. Kinsley7 - the total heated square footage is approx 2900. Here is a pic of the upstairs floor plan:

• chisco34
    10 years ago

We are on our second build and no one has requested a framing plan. We did use a plan for our second floor, but it was provided by the lumber company. Sure, it makes it easier on the contractor, but we have worked with excellent framers that blew our minds with their skills...no framing plan involved.

• worthy
    10 years ago

Wow, count me "not very experienced". (Unworthy?)

I've been building and renovating for more than 30 years but have always relied on drawn plans; for houses, all plans I use are reviewed and stamped by an engineer.

But even without that, my application for a building permit would be rejected outright at any municipal office in or around where I build,

What US municipalities, at least urban ones, grant permits without framing plans?

• robynstamps
    10 years ago

We had to have an engineer review our plan before we even accepted it from our architect. I would be very nervous with framing to be done, especially with such a wide space, without the proper trained professionals looking at it.

Good luck!

• PRO
    Unicon Construction Solutions
    2 years ago

We know it has been 8 years here but just in case someone stumbles upon this thread - ALL NEW BUILDS MUST HAVE DETAILED PLANS that are approved by the local jurisdiction. The fact that some contractors are willing to work without a structural design is frankly disturbing and at least for San Francisco - not legal and unacceptable.

• 3onthetree
    2 years ago

The stumble is in some of the misinformation on this old thread - you in fact do NOT have to have complete framing plans, nor have them stamped by a licensed professional in every jurisdiction in these United States.

Some of the confusion lies in what is defined as a framing plan - you can show enough structural information on an architectural plan that doesn't require a framing plan - items like joist sizes, beam sizes, and orientation; general notes about in-wall post size, lateral bracing, or double trimmers as examples. A framing plan would lay out addtional information, like dimensions of where to start a joist or place a skylight, a detail of a cantilever, or a portal frame as examples.

Most jurisdictions require a foundation plan, an architectural plan, elevations, a roof plan, a site plan, and a section. And many rural ag-zoned locales still require nothing on paper.