Return to the Building a Home Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Check your tax assessors website if you are building!

Posted by athensmomof3 (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 28, 12 at 10:05

If you are building, take a few minutes to check your tax assessors website! Most property valuations are made by April 1, and when I logged on to check our property, they had combined the basement and top two floors square footage, didn't take out unfinished parts of the basement (they missed a mechanical room and an entire guest wing that we brought to sheetrock and then stopped finishing). Needless to say, main floors and upstairs are taxed more heavily than basements and over the garage playrooms (which they also had too big - we have an unfinished storage area that they didn't subtract up there).

I was able to reduce our total square footage by 1300 square feet, and was able to get 1930 of the remaining finished square footage area placed in the basement where it belongs ;)

This reduced our top two floor square footage by 3300 square feet or so, when you add all of it up. Needless to say, this will have a significant impact on my tax bill.

I was able to do this over the phone, with a conversation with the tax assessor and my plans in hand. He also wanted to know the appraised value from our loan, which I was happy to give him since we appraised so low and had to come up with cash to build . . .

Worth a few minutes of your time!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Check your tax assessors website if you are building!

Great advices, thanks!

o
RE: Check your tax assessors website if you are building!

Good point athensmom.

In our neck of the woods, finished basement space assesses no higher than unfinished space.

We have 3000 sq ft of finished space in our lower level and the tax man could care less. Strange but true. Real estate wise, I can only list my house as a 3 bedroom house since that is all that is above ground, even though I have 2 beautiful bedrooms in my lower level.

Around here--tax wise--you are better off building a ranch home and finishing the basement.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Building a Home Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here