Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
treecity

Vote please? Built-in massing

Oaktown
10 years ago

Would appreciate your votes on massing for our family room built-in media unit. I've done some very crude models (French doors are not to scale, random furniture dropped in) -- care to vote on which you prefer?

Total room size approx. 18.5'x28'
We are: 2 adults + 3 kids (all under 10) + 2-3 grandparents for a good part of the year

OPTION 1:

OPTION 2:

This post was edited by Oaktown on Wed, Mar 26, 14 at 14:06

Comments (11)

• rrah
    10 years ago

I tend to like symmetry, thus a vote for Option 1

• lmccarly
    10 years ago

I also like option 1 for symmetry.

• akshars_mom
    10 years ago

I like Symmetry also so Option 1.

• virgilcarter
    10 years ago

I see the major difference as 1) a partial wall built-in unit, vs. 2) a full-wall built in unit. My vote is for the full wall unit, unless the display of wall mounted art is critical.

Is it significant that the first alternative has 2 lounge chairs and the second alternative has 1? Is it important that in either scheme the lounge chair seating will little to no view of the TV? In either scheme, a maximum of 3 people seated closely together on the sofa will be all that can enjoy the video and audio of the TV?

Good luck on your project.

• Oaktown
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the input thus far, really appreciate it. Will edit to add more room info in the initial post.

Ideally we would have a full wall unit but I am worried about that back corner being crowded, since we'll have curtains that stack on either side of the door unit.

virgilcarter, I would like to be able to fit the additional chair. The tv won't actually be as large as the size of the black space. In our family it is rare that more than 3 people will want to watch the same show -- but you make a good point, perhaps we should consider a longer sofa or sectional instead? (Our current family room only fits a loveseat and chair so this already feels like a big improvement.)

As a family we do like to all be together even if we're not all doing the same thing. For example, if the kids are watching their program, my father-in-law likes to sit in the corner reading until he nods off, the other adults might be having tea at the table. If my husband and his father are watching sports, the rest of us might be at the table playing a game. (My folks also will have a separate living area/den where my mother can support her team as loudly as she wants without causing ear damage to the rest of us.)

Other thoughts?

• ladybrowncoat
    10 years ago

Hm. Are all the units open or enclosed? I favor option two, because the built-ins fill the entire wall, but personally I'm not a fan of having that many cabinets behind doors in the main living space. If it were me, I would have the bottom row and the two doors around the tv enclosed, then combine and leave the other two upper cabinets open. Really rough idea attached.

• Oaktown
    Original Author
    10 years ago

ladybrowncoat, the plan was for all lowers to be closed and all uppers to be open (no doors). Maybe will try out some different combinations this evening, thanks for the suggestion.

Hmm . . . what if we "stepped back" the lowers to bookshelf depth in the back corner?

• Oaktown
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ok, here's OPTION 3 -- stepping back shelving in the corner. Furniture also got shuffled a bit. Better?

(Sorry for the distortion, this got converted through a few different versions of Sketchup.)

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

I can't tell if it's because of the blockiness of the drawing or if it is truly the massing of the entertainment center, but to me it seems to overwhelm the space. You might consider a wall hung and a separate credenza to give you more openness.

[Eclectic Media Room[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/eclectic-home-theater-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_719~s_2104) by New York Interior Designers & Decorators Joseph Stabilito

• Oaktown
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Annie, alas I fear we will need the storage that a larger built-in would provide. Hard to see in the images but there will be built-ins around the pass through on the opposite side of the room so I am hoping this might provide some balance?

We want to feel that this room belongs to the whole family, so we would want to have on hand board games, foreign language DVDs, various reading materials, etc. We had planned a closet under the stair (part of the open wall in the images) but that was co-opted to house various electrical panels and controls. I also was hoping to have space for some artwork by my very talented sister.

Perhaps we are just trying to do too much in this space. Thank you for the input, it really helps with the thought process.

• annkh_nd
    10 years ago

I am in the process of decluttering my house (inspired, in part, by moving my Mom from a 4-bd house to an apartment). I have gotten rid of a lot of things that were in prime storage areas (like family room cabinets) that we rarely or never used.

Tastes change. You don't need space for every board game you've ever played, or every movie you've ever watched - you need room for the things that interest you over a 2-3 year period, especially as your kids outgrow things and find new interests.

As your kids get older, you may find your viewing habits more similar. Our twin sons are 19, and "family movie night" has been popular at our house since they were about 12.

I agree with ladybrowncoat, that a combination of open and closed space is appealing. Deeper shelves on the bottom.