Return to the Building a Home Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
windows on farmhouse - fully divided or 'cottage' style?

Posted by shelly_ok (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 6, 09 at 10:03

We are building a "farmhouse" style house. Kind of a colonial with porches.

Anyway, the current plan is 15 light doors - 2 sets of french doors and 4 single doors and single hung windows that have dividers on both upper and lower parts. I am having second thoughts about the dividers on the lower sash of the window. We are building on our acreage and enjoy the view. When considering the window by itself I seem to prefer the open/clean/undivided lower sash. I think they call these "cottage style" windows?

Anyway, would these look too cottage/bungalow on a farmhouse and would they look funny with the divided doors?

Any pictures?

Thanks!

Here is a link that might be useful: we are basing our home on this one

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: windows on farmhouse - fully divided or 'cottage' style?

I like the grilles on the top sash only look. That would look great in your farmhouse.

o

There are lots of options. We are also building on acreage and are planning on casement windows with single prairie grids similar to the one in the link.

Here is a link that might be useful: Single Prairie Style.

o

"Cottage sash" usually refers to a larger upper sash than the lower sash. Like 9 over 6. Reverse cottage is 6 over 9.
You are just looking for 6 over 1 or 9 over 1 grills.
Casey

o

A cottage style double-hung window has an upper sash that is one pane shorter than the height of the lower sash regardless of the mullion pattern.

It would help to know the pattern of the mullions.

Bottom sash without mullions are common in Colonial Revival and Shingle Style houses and modern adaptation of those styles.

o

although our home was initially drawn with mullions on both upper and lower, we decided to go with upper grills (in-between panes) only

tough to see the grills from all my exterior photos because of the lighting

here's an inside perspective

o

I have a southern colonial plantation style home and have double hung 9 over 9 and fixed 9 over 9. I wish I had done just the top and left the bottom clear.We have nice views and the windows are just too "divided".
I have replaced the glass in our french doors to no mullions.

o

we're doing prairie style grills; full length on the casements and tops only on the double hungs. kats has them. i found an old post from ideamom on the forum. scroll down to the second response on the thread.

Here is a link that might be useful: prairie style windows

o

Love that house Shelly..... it made our short list and I actually spoke with Connor several times. That home was designed for a large animal vet- which is what I am.... so it seemed like it was meant to be. In the end we chose something esle but I think if we were to do it all again, Connor would be getting a call.

Our windows on our farm house are double hungs, divided light. We do have few casements. We built on our farm- lots of windows lots of views. Our windows are large and one of my favorite things.
Photobucket

o

Hmmm, is there a way to edit the title of my post?

I tried to post a thank you last night, but I don't see it today. So, thanks for the input and pictures and the terminology education. I hate not knowing the right words for things!

Oooh, kateskouros - I forgot that I like prairie style windows, we don't see them very much.

lsst, I'm afraid the lower mullions will bother me. I've learned in my old age that visual clutter is a problem for me.

Ponydoc - I wish we could afford to go with Connor. But we are closely imitating that house. I think your house turned out terrific!

o

We have 3 over 1 windows in our country house. It's a very common combination in farmhouses in our area - eastern Canada. It says farmhouse to me.

o

Dh and I have built on view, rural property and we were concerned about the "full grid" windows. However, we went ahead with them since the plan really is a farmhouse style and they are wonderful! Your "eye" seems to "look beyond" and through the grids so that you don't notice them. It makes the house look the way it should also; the top grid windows might work though.

o

Dh and I have built on view, rural property and we were concerned about the "full grid" windows. However, we went ahead with them since the plan really is a farmhouse style and they are wonderful! Your "eye" seems to "look beyond" and through the grids so that you don't notice them.

Our curent home is rural with a view. We have the full grids here, and I certainly notice them. I think it depends on the individual.

o

Ditto what muddypond states.

o

These are cottage style windows with 6/1 simulated divided lights.
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Building a Home Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here