Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
crazykelly

windows on farmhouse - fully divided or 'cottage' style?

shelly_ok
15 years ago

We are building a "farmhouse" style house. Kind of a colonial with porches.

Anyway, the current plan is 15 light doors - 2 sets of french doors and 4 single doors and single hung windows that have dividers on both upper and lower parts. I am having second thoughts about the dividers on the lower sash of the window. We are building on our acreage and enjoy the view. When considering the window by itself I seem to prefer the open/clean/undivided lower sash. I think they call these "cottage style" windows?

Anyway, would these look too cottage/bungalow on a farmhouse and would they look funny with the divided doors?

Any pictures?

Thanks!

Here is a link that might be useful: we are basing our home on this one

Comments (14)

• dreamywhite
    15 years ago

I like the grilles on the top sash only look. That would look great in your farmhouse.

• muddypond
    15 years ago

There are lots of options. We are also building on acreage and are planning on casement windows with single prairie grids similar to the one in the link.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:1420434}}

• sombreuil_mongrel
    15 years ago

"Cottage sash" usually refers to a larger upper sash than the lower sash. Like 9 over 6. Reverse cottage is 6 over 9.
    You are just looking for 6 over 1 or 9 over 1 grills.
    Casey

• mightyanvil
    15 years ago

A cottage style double-hung window has an upper sash that is one pane shorter than the height of the lower sash regardless of the mullion pattern.

It would help to know the pattern of the mullions.

Bottom sash without mullions are common in Colonial Revival and Shingle Style houses and modern adaptation of those styles.

• lsst
    15 years ago

I have a southern colonial plantation style home and have double hung 9 over 9 and fixed 9 over 9. I wish I had done just the top and left the bottom clear.We have nice views and the windows are just too "divided".
    I have replaced the glass in our french doors to no mullions.

• kateskouros
    15 years ago

we're doing prairie style grills; full length on the casements and tops only on the double hungs. kats has them. i found an old post from ideamom on the forum. scroll down to the second response on the thread.

Here is a link that might be useful: prairie style windows

• ponydoc
    15 years ago

Love that house Shelly..... it made our short list and I actually spoke with Connor several times. That home was designed for a large animal vet- which is what I am.... so it seemed like it was meant to be. In the end we chose something esle but I think if we were to do it all again, Connor would be getting a call.

Our windows on our farm house are double hungs, divided light. We do have few casements. We built on our farm- lots of windows lots of views. Our windows are large and one of my favorite things.

• shelly_ok
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hmmm, is there a way to edit the title of my post?

I tried to post a thank you last night, but I don't see it today. So, thanks for the input and pictures and the terminology education. I hate not knowing the right words for things!

Oooh, kateskouros - I forgot that I like prairie style windows, we don't see them very much.

lsst, I'm afraid the lower mullions will bother me. I've learned in my old age that visual clutter is a problem for me.

Ponydoc - I wish we could afford to go with Connor. But we are closely imitating that house. I think your house turned out terrific!

• ajpl
    15 years ago

We have 3 over 1 windows in our country house. It's a very common combination in farmhouses in our area - eastern Canada. It says farmhouse to me.

• booboo60
    15 years ago

Dh and I have built on view, rural property and we were concerned about the "full grid" windows. However, we went ahead with them since the plan really is a farmhouse style and they are wonderful! Your "eye" seems to "look beyond" and through the grids so that you don't notice them. It makes the house look the way it should also; the top grid windows might work though.

• muddypond
    15 years ago

Dh and I have built on view, rural property and we were concerned about the "full grid" windows. However, we went ahead with them since the plan really is a farmhouse style and they are wonderful! Your "eye" seems to "look beyond" and through the grids so that you don't notice them.

Our curent home is rural with a view. We have the full grids here, and I certainly notice them. I think it depends on the individual.

• lsst
    15 years ago

Ditto what muddypond states.

• mightyanvil
    15 years ago

These are cottage style windows with 6/1 simulated divided lights.