Return to the Building a Home Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Will anything clean foam insulation off a floor?

Posted by cs6000 (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 17, 10 at 9:56

Thought about posting this in the "cleaning tips", but think this forum gets more attention from people using foam insulation.
I had some foam sprayed on a vaulted ceiling. Our floors are acid stained concrete, which were finished, and covered with cardboard.
Of course, during the spray, a little bit dropped between a spot where the cardboard was pulled away from the wall, and hit the concrete stained floor. I scraped it off as much as possible, but there are still some spots or residue.
Its not bad, but I'd like to get it off. I've tried Goof Off, Krud Kutter, and lacquer thinner, none worked.
My next plan is to try and stain the spots the color of the floor.
Any suggestions?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Will anything clean foam insulation off a floor?

Same situation, but our idiot floor guy (contractor's sub) sealed the foam droplets into the concrete. And no, there's no way to get it up.

o

There is no solvent for most of the foams once they have cured.

Mechanical removal is about it.

Cut off as much as you can with single edge razor blades, and then use a wire brush (preferably not steel) to try and remove anything that remains.

A steel brush can cause a rust spot to form from moisture in the concrete and the steel the abrades onto the surface of the concrete.

o

DW-40 worked on my skin... (oops......)

The glob that got on my floor I got up with a razor.

o

I'm the personal assistant to the owner of an insulation company that uses spray foam. I will ask her and see what she says and get back to you.

o

I got a reply-you have to sand it off.

o

Why didn't I think of sanding? Will have to be careful, but should be able to get the stuff off prior to hitting the actual stained concrete. May have to recoat some of the sealant, but its worth a try.

Thanks

o

"Why didn't I think of sanding?"

This tends to cause damage to a larger area than the spot.

Picking it off is the low damage path.
Cut it off with razor blades as much as possible, then go after any remaining spots.

o

Acetone is the solvent used to thin/remove most spray foams, and can be effective even when they have dried.

But care should be given not to use acetone on materials that can be dissolved, discolored or otherwised damaged by this chemical, including vinyls, plastics, and most paints.

o

"Acetone is the solvent used to thin/remove most spray foams, and can be effective even when they have dried. "

Once polyiso foam (the common can stuff) has cured acetone will no longer dissolve it.
It will dissolve the uncured foam.

There is NO solvent for many of the foams once curing has completed. These are on-way chemical reactions. unless you want to go after strong acids and bases.

o

Another possible solution from a drywall/insulation owner: ammonia and a wire brush. Be sure to use a dust mask.

o

Before sanding i would suggest using a green scotch brite pad.My husband and I are foam techs.We use the green scotch bright pads on almost anything.it will scratch the finish if you rub too hard but makes a small area to have to refinish.good luck!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Building a Home Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here