Return to the Building a Home Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Athensmomof3 - Need Help With Your Brick

Posted by gaonmymind (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 22, 12 at 9:55

I just looked at your brick pics...before they were painted. I love the them painted! I thought I wanted painted too, but after looking at your brick before it was painted I am in shock with how much I love it. I usually HATE red brick...but not this.

I know you mentioned it is a cheap Boral brick with gray mortar. Do you know the name of both? Also please give me your very honest opinion - In person is the brick really that pretty? If you weren't doing painted would you leave it as is? Can't decide what shutters would look good on this. Maybe no shutters.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Athensmomof3 - Need Help With Your Brick

The brick was pretty in person - we were shocked at how pretty it was too. We used the gray mortar because it was the cheapest (not what I would have chosen), and it gave the brick a pretty softer look. We chose it based on the texture since we were painting it and the fact it wasn't orange (there was another with the same texture that was orange and I knew I couldn't stand to look at it until it was painted).

I am pretty sure the brick was Ashbury. It was .25 cents a brick. The 17th century that we also looked at and painted was 1.00 a brick. It saved us several thousand dollars to go with the lower cost brick, and we actually liked it painted out better (not as much texture - a little more refined looking but definitely still has character).

Good luck with your brick search - there are lots of pretty ones out there. . .

o
RE: Athensmomof3 - Need Help With Your Brick

Thanks Athens...I am not sure if it was a brick or a testament to the great architecture. I am starting to believe that architecture can make or break any home. With that being said it was quite pretty to see. I am glad you confirmed my thought and since I believe we like the same type of style that is very helpful!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Building a Home Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here