Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
krisjb1_gw

America's Best Houseplans and Northwest Plan

krisjb1
10 years ago

I need some helpful criticism (advice) concerning America's Best House Plans and this particular plan. I posted previously about the Birchwood (Donald Gardner), but I am pretty disturbed by Gardner's policies that include a fee just to ask whether a modification can be done. So, forging ahead I see that America's Best House Plans has this interesting plan. It is too small so I am considering these mods: Extend the left side and right sides out 5 feet. This allows me to place workbenches at the rear of the garage, increases the size of the master bath so I can include a bidet with the commode and expands the closet. On the right the two bedrooms would increase laterally by 4 feet and enable a walk in closet in the rear bedroom as well as widen the narrow hall by 1 foot. I would remove the tub from the front bathroom on the right as the opposite Bedroom/Study would be a living room/library. The area used by the tub could be annexed to the adjacent closet in Bedroom 3. I would bump out the rear of the master and similarly the rear of bedroom 4 about 5 feet for sitting areas. I am dissatisfied with the size of the pantry even though the location works, being close to the garage where groceries will be unloaded. Maybe I could make the area labeled "Storage" which is in the garage at the side of the dining room a pantry? We are an older couple and each of us needs a "work" room which is what bedrooms 3 and 4 will be used for. We don't entertain so don't need a humongous great room. This house will have a daylight basement so the grilling porch will become a deck. I will add electricity ,insulate, and finish the 2nd floor walls and ceiling but will likely only use that level for storage. I don't really understand what needs to be included with plans so I am not able to evaluate whether what is included with this company's plans will be sufficient or accurate. If anyone has used this company and can add a comment I would appreciate it. I am looking forward to hearing your comments! (Plan 110-00897)

Comments (3)