Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aries61

It's March 2014, how is your build?

aries61
10 years ago

February was a busy month with 425 postings which beat January 417 postings.

Happy building to everyone.

It's March and that much closer to spring.

Comments (149)

• jdez
    10 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Lol, Maggie, of course they used the wrong tile in YOUR shower. I'm thinking you need to camp out there until closing. Looking forward to pictures as I'm still laughing.

• illinigirl
    10 years ago

ok, here is the Rooster: click on the pic to enlarge/zoom in. Boy is he......shiny. ha. I think it stands out a lot because it's new copper....I expect once it starts to patina it won't stand out so much. ???

[img]

[/img]

rear elevation, most of it anyways:
    [img]

[/img]

• jdez
    10 years ago

Illinigirl, love the rooster and I like it being shiny! Your house is looking good.

• robynstamps
    10 years ago

Maggie - Holy cow!! It sounds like you are being very patient. I cannot believe they put in the wrong color tile! That’s crazy. They must have been on auto-pilot. Good for you on getting some of the lighting hung. Can’t wait to see pics!!

illinigirl - Beautiful picture of your house with the rooster! How gorgeous that is going to be when finished!!

mommytoty - your floor stain looks WONDERFUL!! What a nice brown color!

I wanted to post a picture I took TODAY of our left view from our property. That’s right! I said TODAY!!! Our camera was activated yesterday and this morning I went on and checked it out. It is absolutely AWESOME!! I can turn the camera around all the way and go up and down. I was able to watch the horses next door eating the grass this morning. I am going to LOVE this!! I highly recommend a security system like this if you are building from out of town. It is going to save me from calling up my new neighbors and family and having them stalk my house for me. LOL!!

Hope you all have a great day! It is cold and wet here in Oklahoma but BEAUTIFUL in Utah!!

• jdez
    10 years ago

Nice Robyn! I knew that was a moveable camera. That's what I do for a living. I thought it was BS that you couldn't move it. I thought the security company was just being mean. Now you can keep is updated with pictures before you even move over there. Yay!!

• robynstamps
    10 years ago

I know Jdez!! I'm super excited. I wonder if it would be easier for me NOT to have the camera because now I will stalk 24/7 instead of waiting for a weekly report from friends! Lol!

• jdez
    10 years ago

Tap tap tap .... Is this thread broke? .... People acting like they're busy or something.

• danimal_ky
    10 years ago

Robyn,
    We installed a Houzer sink in our new build. Synthetic granite. Seems like a good piece, but the black really shows hard water spots. We really like the bump out to have extra space behind the sink. Also, it's 37 inches wide - much easier for lager dishes, things with handles, crock pots, etc.

• robynstamps
    10 years ago

I love that it is super wide, Danimal. Thanks for the picture!! Beautiful!

• peony23
    10 years ago

Robyn--your views are gorgeous, even without a house. Where are you located?

XC60--can you tell me the name of your master tiles? I'm still trying to finalize a marble tile, and yours are beautiful.

thanks

• robynstamps
    10 years ago

Peony - We are building in Utah. We will be right up next to the mountains. Quite the opposite from our home here in Oklahoma where there are no mountains.

Hope you all are having a great Sunday! I cannot wait to share some pictures of DIRT DIGGING tomorrow!!!!

WOO HOO!!!!

• autumn.4
    10 years ago

Just a shorty for me, missing everyone and so behind! Tiling since Thursday. 440 sq foot DONE (almost). Still need to wipe the haze one more time after I let it cure a bit. Cut master bath shower tile but not installed yet.

Living proof that you can take A LOT of Motrin with no ill effects (so far).

Lori- so sorry to hear about dh's Uncle. :(. Definitely puts things in perspective.

Maggie-what in the world! What if you hadn't stopped by? Shaking head. The bathroom that refused to be finished!!!

JDez-kitchen plans, yay!!!

Robyn, I hope you continue posting pics from that camera even after you are done. Stunning!

Illini-loving the hose and the rooster!!!

I know I missed so many! I will try to catch up tomorrow'

• nhbaskets
    10 years ago

New here. We have purchased a spec home in a 55+ development. The basic floorplan was set, however, we were able to tweak things to suit our needs. When we signed on, the outside was basically done and the inside was just studs. That was in January. All mechanicals have now been roughed in, we're sheet rocked, primed, and hardwood floors and tiling just began at the end of last week.

The past three weeks have been extremely stressful for several reasons. It started with our not wanting to go with the developers cabinet builder. After four days of pure hell (can I say that here?) we were allowed to go with the kitchen designer we had worked with in our current home. That all was finalized on a Monday. The following day, DH had chest pains while at PT for his knee. After a cath, it was determined he needed bypass surgery. That occurred last Wednesday at Mass General in Boston. A few bumps have occurred along his road to recovery, but I'm glad to say he should get discharged this Tuesday or Wednesday. He will have been in two different hospitals for 2+ weeks. In the meantime, I've been trying to finish making decisions on the house while traveling back and forth to Boston, about an hour away.

I stopped by yesterday on my way to Boston and was thrilled to see the hardwood had started as well as some tiling.

Looking into kitchen from living room

Master bath floor tile

• xc60
    10 years ago

Ahhh, I just typed a big long post and lost it. :(

Peony, thanks for asking about our ensuite tiles. They are not marble but a marble look porcelain, decided to go that way for cost and care reasons (mostly cost, lol ;) ) The are Angola Classic Marble HD tiles in the Carrara option. I included the link to tile for you :)

Things are coming along now nicely. We got all counters installed and the kitchen backsplash all done in the last few days, hardwood gets installed tomorrow, yay!!!

Here is a link that might be useful: Angora Classic Marble HD Tile Link

• jenniekehr
    10 years ago

xc60, can I ask what countertops you used in your kitchen?

• jdez
    10 years ago

Autumn.4 - Good to hear you're hanging in there. I hope you and DH can stand fully upright after all that tile work. I'm not sure I'd be able to. Can't wait to see pictures. And I hope your co-workers throw a party for you. If they don't, let me know and I will...lol.

Xc60 - Your kitchen is so light and beautiful. Bet you can't wait to cook a meal in there.

Nhbaskets - Looks like you've been put in a pretty stressful situation to put it mildly. I hope DH continues to recover and regain his strength. I'm sure you made some tough decisions without his input but I bet you did just fine, especially if you were able to get your own KD for your build. Your house is looking good, keep those pictures coming.

Robyn - I can't wait to see some dirt, with mountains in the background of course.

Hope this week is a good one for everybody! You too Loribug.

• peony23
    10 years ago

XC60--thanks so much for your reply. I'm looking at the exact same tile but with a different name--Anatolia. The pictures on the sites are identical. Great taste, by the way, beautiful. Your bathroom pictures give me great hope about how ours might turn out.

JDez--you included a paint chip for your master bath in an earlier post. I really like it, and am thinking of using something similar. Can I ask what color it is?

thanks.

• xc60
    10 years ago

Jennie, we used Super White Extra for the counters in Kitchen and ensuite. It's a Dolomite but many stone yards call it a quartzite or a granite. The extra part of the name is because its a bit more white then regular Super White.
    I'm in love with it, it's so pretty and breathtaking in person.

Thanks JDez for the compliments. I really like your accent tile for your bathroom, so soothing. And your cabinets in your kitchen will be amazing! :) You front door style is also my favorite, very nice.

Everyone's homes look beautiful, so much great progress this month. Spring is coming. :)

• jdez
    10 years ago

Peony23 - it is SW Silvermist, just a shade or two darker than Sea Salt.

• xc60
    10 years ago

Peony

Yes, you are correct, lol. It is the exact same tile, I find some of the tile suppliers try to hide the manufacturer so you don't comparison shop and buy it elsewhere, grrr. I did do a search today and couldn't figure out who made it.

The tile is really pretty, the 6x12 on the shower walls have a glossy look that's so rich looking. I took a picture today with it grouted. I'll attach the pic but the lighting and my bad cell camera make the tile colors look off. The photo just doesn't do the tile justice. My camera made the tile almost look purple, when it is really white. So strange.

My friend building a home saw the tiles today and will also be using them in her ensuite as well. We used the platinum grout color. Good luck and let me know if you choose it. :)

• maggiepie11
    10 years ago

xc60, that kitchen is just beautiful!

have a few minutes to post photos of the updates i mentioned earlier this weekend. we were there when the concrete truck pulled up, and the second, third and fourth trucks too. i can't even imagine how many loads they needed because after 4 they hadn't made much of a dent. i had no idea!

here you can kind of see the lead walk is done, and the lower half of the driveway. the culvert needs to be ripped out and done again (for a third time) so they had to stop the concrete pour about halfway up. fun fun

here's a closer up view of the finished portion of the driveway. i'm thinking this is going to be a really pretty courtyard area between the two houses when it's all landscaped!

here are the back walkways from our back patio:

and a REALLY closeup view of the exposed aggregate. it will probably turn more brown as the concrete cures more, but i'm hopeful it stays greige like this!

here's a shot of the backsplash finally fixed and grout finished in the "guest house" aka my parent's house. :) nice retirement pad, isn't it!?

and here are our floors after being scraped, water popped, and stained, but before the poly. i'm nervous for the poly because we're unsure of whether our sample had poly or not. we thought he said the stain was still wet but maybe it had poly on it. the waiting is killing me. this is a custom blend stain and seems to look extremely different in every light and angle.

like how the pendants are still hanging at different heights? i'm starting a new trend. :)

this last picture is probably the most true to life on the color. did i mention i'm nervous to see the poly?

and a closeup of our finished backsplash with arctic ice grout. a peek at the granite in our kitchen finally too! there's still a plastic protector but it's better than cardboard, and now that the blue covers are off the windows everything looks better!

pic doesn't really capture the edge detail on the tile, but in person it makes me so happy!

so, poly is up next, then carpeting in the bedrooms, final tile work in our shower (could it be?), final concrete pour for the driveway, and the start of irrigation by next friday. hope they stick to the plan!!

wishing you all a productive week!

• xc60
    10 years ago

Wow Maggie! It's looking so awesome! Your driveway and walk ways are really nice and will be so beautiful with your landscaping. Your floors are just gorgeous and I love the warmth of them. Your coffered ceilings, cabinets, lighting, backsplash, fireplace, paint....... all have me in awe! :)

Your parents must be so excited, such a wonderful kichen and the beadboard doors go nicely with the subway tile.

• civiltech
    10 years ago

Maggiepie11

love the hardwood in the kitchen, I will be doing this as well

• autumn.4
    10 years ago

jennybc-boring? There is nothing boring about some awesome looking stair treads from your own sweat equity. I think they look fantastic! Wood has so much character.

maggie-love reverse aggregate! Very nice. :) Love to see the toddlers toddling around too, adorable. Everything is coming together so nicely (well save that master bath torture soon to be oasis........).

robyn-I am hoping for a silgranite sink also. I am planning on taking the samples (you can email them and request samples) and matching something up to the granite. I have yet to do that!

akshars-we have frameless in our master bath (they were less expensive so I opted for them there even though dh doesn't like the thought of them at all). I am hoping my BIL has dealt with them before. He is a finish carpenter and does lots of kitchens so I hope so. I am sure all of our worrying will be for naught!

xc60-looks great! Very soothing space. :)

jdez-I'd much rather attend your party!!! They are having a 'potluck' tomorrow for us but honestly - what is the celebration. It's all very awkard. Thursday is my last day. I am so very stiff and sore. My finger tips were even swollen from carrying and heavy tile up and down the stairs to cut it (wet saw is set up in the basement). I think I am passed all of that back pain type of work. Painting should be a lot easier on me!

Speaking of which. I'd better get to work...............I guess. Next week I have so much house stuff to do and I am relieved that I can focus on just that!

This week at the homestead-dh is finishing up door trim, so I'll be patching nail holes and sanding, then caulk (a little scared of that). Fireplace stone, wood flooring probably next week. Stair treads are down, loving that.

• illinigirl
    10 years ago

xc60,
    I love your bath tiles also and I'm going to add those to the list to look at.....We have a similar combination going on but a different brand. We have samples of Mirasol and an American Olean.

JDez- the tile lady pulled the exact same Bliss accent tile for our bath, however we decided the linear pattern was not for us. although I love the way it brings in the white and grey and blue (we are going with blue walls in the bath too), i think I'm looking for something more subdued. I can't even begin to think about the shower floor!

Love to see the kitchens coming together XC and maggie! Beautiful! Awesome guest house Maggie! And floors!

• akshars_mom
    10 years ago

Lots going on with everyone's build. I am so behind on the thread.

Maggie and Xc60, love the kitchen and bathrooms.

nhbaskets, Glad to hear your DH is on the mend. You have had rough month. Hope you are taking care of your self. Some times in times like this we don't take of our selves and that is important to.

Jdez, looks like you are moving along. Hope you get the framing/warp issue resolved with the builder.

Robyn, Hope the have started digging :)

Autumn, Sorry to hear about the aches and swelling. Hope you feel better soon. I think once tiling and lifting is done you will feel better. Saying good byes at work won't be easy but hope you find something better soon.

Lori, Are you hanging in there. Almost there.

On our front they are sanding the floor and applying the clear coat today. Can't wait to see the finished floors on Thursday.
    Supposed to start on cabinets on Thursday/Friday this week but will believe it when I see it :)

• Lori Wagerman_Walker
    10 years ago

Yep I'm here Autumn!!

All pictures are awesome. Maggie, love your houses!! Robyn, I am seriously jealous of that view, and of the camera! I wish I had one I could watch my horses from!
    I wouldn't get any work done tho :) lol

Everyone else keep on, keepin' on!! Long week, long weekend... But here are some pictures. And Flooring was supposed to start today. I've not had anyone tell me one way or the other. So I guess I'll be in for a surprise when I get home. After going to the electrical co, & Menards AGAIN!!!!! argh... lol

• robynstamps
    10 years ago

Here's my small update today. They haven't been out to dig yet. They were supposed to start excavating about 1 hour and 20 minutes ago but they haven't shown up yet. I guess I'd better get used to that, right??!! lol!

They came out and put the signs out for our builders. That's a start and I will take it! I love how my neighbors horses were all at the front of the yard to greet the workers. It's going to be so fun living by horses on 3 sides.

• Lori Wagerman_Walker
    10 years ago

lmao at the honey bucket portapotty!!! :)

Robyn, horses are very nosey. Almost as nosey as cats lol

You might just make yourself crazy with that camera!

This post was edited by loribug26 on Mon, Mar 10, 14 at 16:11

• JSpann
    10 years ago

robynstamps, is that a Matt McEwen sign!? How awesome! My husband is good friends with Matt; he was one of Matt's building material suppliers when we lived in Utah. We think the world of him. Great choice!

• maggiepie11
    10 years ago

lori your kitchen is OOOOOOZING charm. love it! love that door on the angled wall too. nice feel to it.

and robyn you're cracking me up. if you're measuring delays in minutes or hours instead of days, weeks or months you're doing ok. :)

• robynstamps
    10 years ago

Lori - Your lighting is beautiful! That looks like something I saw at Pottery Barn and is on my wish list. So nice to see what it really looks like. Your kitchen looks beautiful and so colorful. I love it!!

JSpann - Yes! It’s McEwan Custom Homes. I love working with Matt. All of the vendors I have visited with all have told me how much they love working with Matt. He seems to be someone who’s reputation precedes him, in a good way. He’s also known for staying in his time frame so we are crossing our fingers on that. Cool thing is that I’ve been watching the camera all afternoon waiting for the diggers to show up and then Matt calls me out of nowhere to give an update on when they will be arriving today. Wow! I didn’t even e-mail or text him. His communication seems to be wonderful!

I’m hoping to have a picture later today with the ground leveled!! They do the major digging tomorrow am!

• robynstamps
    10 years ago

We have officially broken ground!! WOOOO HOOOO!!!

Let's get this party started!!!!!!!

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!

Check it out my fellow PEEPS!

• robynstamps
    10 years ago

I forgot to let you all know that when I met with my cabinet maker in Utah we decided to change the master bathroom cabinet. Here is the updated version with a custom frame that will match the cabinetry instead of a center cabinet sitting on the counter.

• autumn.4
    10 years ago

nhbaskets-so sorry I just read about your dh (that is what catching up from a phone will get ya!). It sounds like things are on the upswing for him. I hope that rest for him (and you) is somehow possible during this crazy build time. It sounds like things are very much so in full swing for you. Are you going a completely different route with your kitchen this build? I admire your 'old' kitchen. :)

robyn-checking it out! I am sorry, you see signs and tractors and I can't keep my eyes off the mountains! It's unreal! But I know seeing the signs and the dirt moving machinery is pretty fantastic in it's own right. ;) Our master cabs are very similar except above the center drawer bank we have a window. So that is a challenge in and of itself as well!

lori-your house is looking so close to a home! Wow! Hang in there you are so close!

So I had to 'train' someone on a database I created from scratch on my own. It was hours and hours of time to create and maintain it and in a flash it was gone. :( It's like giving a child away almost. Ack! Ready for this week to be over.

• April
    10 years ago

I am loving all the picture updates! Everything looks beautiful. It helps those of us who are so far behind have hope!

So things are moving at a snails pace here. Or it feels that way anyway. Framing is still going on. It just bugs me that they don't work full days sometimes or weekends. Especially when I see other crews working longer hours. Oh well, out of my hands. Here is the latest from this morning. Any idea how long it takes to frame a house?

• April
    10 years ago

Autumn I've missed out on a ton...what's the latest on your job? I am hoping things are looking up!

Anyone heard from uponahilltop after the ceiling dilemma? Wondering what was decided.

Robyn CONGRATULATIONS!!! That is so awesome that you are finally starting! I would be glued to that monitor too, lol.

Lori I *love* your pendants. (swoon)

Maggie love your kitchen and floors! I think your floors will really pop once the poly is applied. It will look great. Even after it is applied though, it will still 'settle' for a few weeks and change a little more. Your parents retirement home is so cool! I would love to retire there, lol!

• April
    10 years ago

So I was poking around on the internet and found the coolest website. You punch in the info on your new house and it estimates how much it will cost, with breakdowns in all areas including variances for area of the country. I just did mine and it was pretty much spot on. Here is the site: http://www.building-cost.net/CornersType.asp

I'm going to share it on the general Building a House forum too.

• mlweaving_Marji
    10 years ago

Hi all,
    Welcome to the newcomers, and I just want to say how exciting it is to see the progress of everyone who's been around awhile.
    I've been away, went to FL to be with my dad who's got some health issues and just had a surgery this past Thursday.
    Came home just in time to run out to house on Sunday evening. All our drywall is in and painted with primer.
    Our interior doors and trim had all been delivered on Friday. The doors were all wrong - every single one, and half the trim was wrong.
    So yesterday I was out at the build at 6:30 AM after about 5 hours sleep just to make sure that the trim carpenter didn't start hanging the doors. We met with our builder in the afternoon. It's all going to be ok, but it was a bit tense there for a bit. The trim was my fault, early choice that I forgot about and never updated, the doors were clearly their fault - they ordered the wrong style.
    Also, the tile for the baths and the foyer and laundry floors hasn't been ordered yet. We went over tile order today to make sure it's all correct.
    The other item we came to a decision on is, we are going to change the front door. Dh hates what's there. Hates it! So we talked to builder, and if the glass door and sidelights can be changed then ok, otherwise they're going to have to rip out the whole door frame and all, and replace it. Expensive mistakes.
    I have no pictures. We got out there, and immediately my phone battery died and dh's camera battery died.
    Two alligators sunning on the bank of our pond.
    While I was gone tree trimmers came in and trimmed out dead and low hanging branches. IMO it's too clear right now, but hubby assures me it'll fill right back in. All the junk got cleared on the pond bank, and the view is wonderful now. we will fill in with some flowering shrubs and trees where there was just dense undergrowth.
    While I was gone dh also painted up a bunch of drywall sample boards and we played with those in the light in the house today. I'm not going to be able to make my rainwashed work in my master bedroom. I love it, but it won't work with the Thibaut fabric I want for my window treatment in the sitting area bay. Sea salt will work though.
    Actually, we have way more natural light than I'd thought we would, love that! But the colors I'd thought would work all got switched around. And for upstairs I had to go back to the paint deck. He's going to paint more samples tomorrow.
    Oh, and tomorrow we need to go back yet again to the stoneyard. There is confusion over which slab of white cristallo we want, so they designated both slabs for our job. Um, no, we only need one, and much as I love it, paying for two of those slabs would indeed break the bank.

Nhbaskets, hope your husband continues to do well. Hospital stress and building stress don't go well together.
    Lisa, ((hugs)). It sucks. You've got a great attitude, but still it sucks.

• autumn.4
    10 years ago

marjorie! I have been thinking about you and wondering how things are going! Still not sure I could get used to the 'pet' alligators hanging around. BUT it is pretty cool. Ouch on the door. It is a moajor focal point so I can understand wanting to change it out if you hate it. Can't wait to see pics when you get a chance. I hope Dad is hanging in there. It stinks watching your parents age. :( 2 more days, 2 more days-today and Thursday. I am trying to stay positive in hopes that it will actually BE a positive change. Eek, no sense being a grump but this week is wearing me down. Straight to the couch after work last night. Ah well, time change is disrupting my sleep as well.

april-woohoo! Framing is a crap shoot depending on weather and the crew, size of house and complexity. It's really hard to judge I think. I am trying to remember but I honestly don't think they had more than 1 full week (5 days in a row) of framing at a time due to weather so ours would not be a great comparison. Thanks for the job thoughts. Submitting resumes, a few phone interviews...waiting game. Praying I end up where I am meant to (wherever that is). :)

lori-all of our exterior brick work will have to be done after the interior is completely finished. I am hoping the bank will be fine with it. The weather has made it impossible.

illini-2-4" tonight into tomorrow? SERIOUSLY! WE don't need any more snow! I can finally see out of the driveway now as the banks have melted down just enough. I hope you are avoiding any more 'stuck' issues. I got stuck in a business driveway yesterday. Not a happy girl!

I didn't make it back to the house yesterday to wipe the tiles down again. I hope to for a bit toinght after work.

Happy Tuesday everyone!

• kellithee
    10 years ago

I know I shouldn't take the weekends off from reading here. haha! We put together our barstools for the island and almost our computer desk. Did some cleaning of the floors. FINALLY nice to see them anddd of course I didn't take pictures. I DID try out the redishades and they are AWESOME! They look like real blinds, but they are paper. I put a natural light filtering one in the bathroom and room darkening ones in our bedroom. I just cut to size with scissors. At only 5 bucks a piece, can't go wrong! Reallly hoping everyone gets their act together and finishes up the house. We are at the end with only little stuff left so it is even more annoying to wait. Hoping we really do come under budget, it's scary seeing the small number left in the loan account. I think I will sleep better at night after all the closing is done.

• Lori Wagerman_Walker
    10 years ago

and in other news I'm sick...AGAIN. Ain't nobody got time for that.

Thanks for compliments on our home. It is very "us" :)

We've got snow forcasted for tomorrow. Today it is 60. give me a break!!

• jdez
    10 years ago

illinigirl - I am also not a big fan of linear tile but I loved the colors of the tile and it is only going to be an accent stripe in the shower. I will be doing the tile work by myself and I have no clue what I am doing so I hope my vision doesn't collide with my inexperience in a catastrophic wreck...lol.

Lori - I love your kitchen. Your whole house has come together beautifully. I wish I could sit on your porch with you and ask "how did you.. this" and "how did you... that".

Robyn - Where are our mountain...oh, I mean, your progress pictures this morning?

mlweaving - I hope your Dad is doing better. I'm glad you returned to find some progress even if you found some things wrong. Its time to start keeping a spare camera in your purse so that you keep your fellow GWers happy :)

Autumn.4 - Hope the next couple of days aren't too stressful. Focus on the different ways you can fix Spam for supper to keep your mind off the negative stuff...lol.

Kellithee - I never thought about it but I bet it does get scary as the loan account starts getting low. Come to think of it, I thought it was scary to sign the papers to begin with so I might as well stay bug-eyed through the entire process.

Aprilh - Your problem has been rain. You're three hours east of me and we are getting the same weather. It won't be long and the framing will be done if the weather will give you a break.

Things are slowing down on our build as we wait for the plumber to do the rough-in. He said he probably won't make it out until next Tuesday. I'm ok with it because it gives me time to get out there and clean up and do a little bit of work with some canned spray foam where you can see gaps in some of the sheathing. I also have to move stuff to storage from our current house and baseball practice started yesterday and will be three days a week. So if they want to slow down a little, I won't complain. At least not yet.

• jdez
    10 years ago

This is probably not the right thread to post this but its funny and I just want to know if anyone else out there may have come across this. I’m talking about a phenomenon that is becoming much more common at our house as we continue through our build process. I refer to it as “dewifeling.”

The following is an example of the most recent occurrence of dewifeling that has occurred in our household:

Just last week, I tell DH, “I think we should DIY our insulation. I’ve been watching it on the internet and it doesn’t look too hard and I figured out that it will save us about $2-3k in labor costs. For the attic, we can rent a blower machine and do some blown in insulation in just a couple of hours.” DH replied, “Absolutely not! It won’t save us that much money and I am not going to try to use that messy stuff and get that all over the place.” Mission failed.

This morning I received a call from DH who tells me, “[Joe the builder] said we could put in our own insulation and save a few thousand dollars and its easy! We just blow it in with a machine and spread it out real good and it wouldn’t take us very long at all. I think we should do that.” To which I replied, “That’s a great idea.” Love that guy.

• maggiepie11
    10 years ago

that's awesome JDez.

you know it doesn't really end with building right?

what you said... “I think we should DIY our insulation. I’ve been watching it on the internet and it doesn’t look too hard and I figured out that it will save us about $2-3k in labor costs. For the attic, we can rent a blower machine and do some blown in insulation in just a couple of hours.”

what he heard: "I think we should BLAH BLAH BLAH. I've been watching it on the internet and BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH."

• robynstamps
    10 years ago

It snowed this morning and they still showed up!! WOW!!! Looks snowy and messy!! LOL!

• Lori Wagerman_Walker
    10 years ago

JDez, I would love to have you sit on the front porch and let me talk about the house :) lol I love it.

I think what you have found out is that men need things to be their idea. I figured out long ago, with my DH, that if I just mention things, then let it ride...eventually he comes back with the exact same thing, only now he thinks it's his idea, and it's great!!!
    Subliminal messages.... don't sit down & have serious conversation about it. Just throw in a one sentence idea a few times & wahlah! It's their idea, and it gets done!!! TADA!!!

• aries61
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Started part II for March

Here is a link that might be useful: March 2014 Part II

• xc60
    10 years ago

Lol Lori, "Ain't nobody got time for that" is my 15 yr old son's favorite saying righ now. I think I hear about about 50 times a day, so it was funny to see you post it. Hope you feel better soon. :)

• Ottawa Stewarts
    6 years ago

Can you tell me what colour you used on the ceiling above the fire place?

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler