Return to the Building a Home Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
In search of Second Floor Master House Plans

Posted by jlband25 (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 17, 13 at 8:22

My husband and I are in the process of planning the build of our third and final home. We are looking for a 4 bedroom, 3 or 4 1/2 bath, home with a second floor master that is 4000 square feet or less.

We love European looking homes, especially the facade of the Garrell and Assoc Chateau Lafayette. We are looking for a plan that as a large kitchen with attached eating area and hearth room. In addition we would like a nice mud room/pantry/storage area off of the kitchen and garage area. On the second floor we would like a large master suite with a great bathroom and big closet. We cannot decide between all ensuite bathroom or a jack and Jill and one ensuite. we have found one plan, the Manchester, by J Visser Designs, that seems to come closet to what we are looking for.

Can anyone recommend any insight to our search? Are there any new sites offering newer home plans? We feel that most of the sites like eplans.com and dreamhomesource.com, offer pland that are dated and don't have most of the amenities we are looking for.

I have included links to the plan and picture of the houses I mentioned. Thanks for your help.

http://www.theplancollection.com/house-plans/home-plan-23268

http://www.garrellassociates.com/featured/chateau-lafayette-french-country-house-plan

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: In search of Second Floor Master House Plans

Why not use Garrell?

Here is a link that might be useful: link to you URL

This post was edited by Renovator8 on Sun, Mar 17, 13 at 11:24

o

In Garrell's Chateau Lafayette the use of prominent front facing gables is an English tradition and steeply pitched hipped roofs without gables is a French tradition and these oddly combined elements are unfortunately jammed together as if the lot had been too narrow for the original design. The design is as pretentious as it's name and a bit disrespectful to the Marquis.

I recommend choosing one tradition or the other and looking for buildings with those features or finding an architect who can guide you through the mine field of modern developer cliches.

Here is a link that might be useful: link to your URL

This post was edited by Renovator8 on Sun, Mar 17, 13 at 11:39

o

We want a 2nd story master too-- I understand how difficult it is to find plans online that have that. We ended up with a custom plan. Given what you want, have you considered hiring an architect?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Building a Home Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here