Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
autumn_4_gw

It's March 2013! How is your build progressing?

autumn.4
11 years ago

I thought I'd kick it off since I love to look and can't wait to join!

Here's to milder weather (hope) clearing the way for great leaps in progress!

Comments (129)

• dpusa
    11 years ago

Two weeks out

Exterior

Shot of one end of the Master Bath

• njasmine1
    11 years ago

Look something happen again! I doubt anything else will happen for a few days because the permit will not be available to march 21.

{{!gwi}}

• boymom23
    11 years ago

Things are finally getting going! I walked through every room in our house today! GIDDY!!!

• kaljr82
    11 years ago

Custom vanity was put together this weekend. Just waiting on one cabinet for it to be finished off. The missing part will just be open shelving.

We also got all of the trim installed and painted. Very little left to do. I think the big things are getting plumbing finished up and getting the gutters put on.
    Really hope we are in by our April 15th deadline!

• Eden-Manor
    11 years ago

PBX2-you must be in my neck of the woods. I go to that outlet every week and haven't had any luck finding that light! Your place looks awesome!

• pbx2_gw
    11 years ago

@Eden-Manor- thank you for the kind words!

We're actually in Richmond but husband's family is in NoVa & LoCo, so we're always @ that RH outlet.

We lucked out on that drum pendant, a Foucault chandelier & our dual Hutton vanities. So it's helped with our build budget a lot to achieve the modern rustic look we're after.

• Jessica Frost-Ballas
    11 years ago

I'm so excited to find this thread. We signed the contracts last month and the builder is set to break ground next week (weather pending). I've never owned a home before let alone custom-built one and I'm super excited. Seeing all of your photos just makes me even more giddy!! :)

• Spottythecat
    11 years ago

Wow....all projects are really moving along. I can't wait to join in!
    dupusa - I really love those chocolate brown shutters and stone combo...who supplied your stone and are the shutters composite wood or real wood?
    Thanks!
    Fun to watch all the builds become homes!
    Pam

• dpusa
    11 years ago

Spottythecat - The shutter wood; hmmm not sure! The color you see went on incorrectly (SW Black Fox) due to a builder error so we changed it to Sherwin Williams Caviar instead and that made it pop.

The stone is a Tennessee Field Stone in a Ashlar cut. Not sure where was sourced from as our builder got it.

• Spottythecat
    11 years ago

Thanks dpusa....we were looking at Turkish Coffee for our shutters...looks pretty close.

For all those Restoration Hardware outlet shoppers...one opening here in FL...it's 2 hours away..is it worth the drive? Good stuff? Good prices?

Thanks!
    Pam

• 293summer
    11 years ago

Would love to see more of your home Pbx2

• momto3kiddos
    11 years ago

It feels like things are moving much more slowly at this point. Here a a few shots of the exterior, dining room trim detail, coffered ceilings in family room, window seat in game room and master vanity cabinets.

And lastly, the granite I have on hold....

• LOTO
    11 years ago

The rain has really been slowing down the framers but it is spring in the Ozarks so anything can happen......6-8" of snow forecast for later in the week :(
    The taller windows you see are in the vaulted great room and have transoms above them and open into the screened porch. The arch top window area is the breakfast/informal dining area off of the kitchen.
    With a little luck the framers will get done this week and trusses are coming Thursday.

This post was edited by LOTO on Tue, Mar 19, 13 at 19:04

• newhome4us
    11 years ago

Everyone's home looks great. I wish I could say we have progress since the builder quit in September 2012 but that isn't the case. We have had more Engineers or County Inspectors in & out of our home it's crazy. We have issues but hopefully we are on the road to total repairs. All the bad soil from the foundation walls have been removed. Foundation walls cleaned and re-waterproofed. New drainage system being installed this week. After that they start busting out the basement slab and remove the gravel and 18" of soil and fill with all gravel. Then repour the slab......if the wall cracks don't show any movement from the monitors they have in place...if not, we are good to go and start back to building--instead of deconstructing!

• gaonmymind
    11 years ago

Wow so many gorgeous homes! I see pbx and threeapples still hanging in there with me. Beautiful homes of course.

Well we are two months delayed but finally move in next week. I disappeared for awhile because the stress of one subcontractor. Overall our builder has been great and so have all the subcontractors. Even with the delay I know I am blessed to be moving into my dream home!

I will post more pics once we have the walk through over the weekend. Here is a pic of the kitchen with the 17 ft island that I am in love with! (ignore the orange that is a base coat for gray)

• gek711
    11 years ago

Lovely inside and out!

• momto3kiddos
    11 years ago

Wow ga! I remember when you were at planning stages. It looks great. I cannot wait to see more pics. My island is 14' and won't be installed until next week. Now I can "see" it a bit, thanks to your pictures. Good luck wrapping things up.

• phoggie
    11 years ago

Moved in and loving it!....pics can be found in this site.....Phoggie's house. Thanks to all who gave me such good advice and encouragement ~~

• kaljr82
    11 years ago

Well, we are supposed to be getting ready to move in on April 15th, but nobody had been at the house since Saturday.
    Still so much to be done, and I don't think they will be able to finish it (even though we already told our land lord we would be out by the 15th per our General contractors assurances)

Things that still need to be done:
    Carpeting in 4 rooms, basically all of the plumbing, fireplace, master bathroom shower tile, gutters, front porch column trim, a tiny bit of trim and then the touchups.

Seems like way too much.
    Has anyone else experienced this?? Maybe 3.5 weeks is enough time, but since basically nothing has happened at all this week I am worried.
    Congrats to moving in phoggie! So jealous!

• tashasilvester
    11 years ago

You all are progressing really well! Some beautiful house pics. too. Great going!

• zone4newby
    11 years ago

We hope to get our permit on Monday and break ground next week. Fingers crossed!

• zone4newby
    11 years ago

We hope to get our permit on Monday and break ground next week. Fingers crossed!

• flgargoyle
    11 years ago

Has anyone noticed that we are now over 100 posts on this thread? That's way more than these monthly threads have had in recent years. Apparently the combination of spring coming, and a bit better economy is getting the house-building industry moving again. Yay!

• LOTO
    11 years ago

The rain and snow this week has been hard on progress and the forecast is for 6-8" of snow on Saturday night.

• pbx2_gw
    11 years ago

@gaonmymind - love your island pendants! So glam & fab!

@swtceleb - thanks for your interest!

They tested lighting last week.

This post was edited by pbx2 on Sat, Mar 30, 13 at 2:41

• sweet.reverie
    11 years ago

Siding starting (just primed now, will be painted grey w/white trim):

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
    We are doing hardi shingle over every inch of the house, very happy with this choice.

Here is a link that might be useful: Build Blog

This post was edited by sweet.reverie on Mon, Mar 25, 13 at 11:55

• LOTO
    11 years ago

Your hardi shinges look very nice and what color are they? We are using hardi shingles to accent a couple of gable ends only..they are VERY pricey compared to the hardi lap siding.

• jannz77
    11 years ago

So glad to have stumbled on this thread... so helpful for those of us building and are just behind the rest of you with regard to schedule/decisions to be made.

I have a question for "building_a_house" ;

I saw the picture you posted on your exterior stone being installed. Does it have a name ..??.. The picture I'm referring to is grey stone with some yellow also. I would like something like that -- grey with some yellow.

Not sure what part of the country you live in -- I'm in N.TX -- so not sure how available stone is across our country... but maybe a supplier / quarry would recognize the name.

• sweet.reverie
    11 years ago

LOTO: They are just primed right now. We will be painting them grey with white trim. The total siding cost was 22K including labor. It was our one splurge. :)

ETA: we did briefly consider doing just shingle accents but we decided our gables were too big.

This post was edited by sweet.reverie on Mon, Mar 25, 13 at 12:00

• jannz77
    11 years ago

RE: Kitchen Cabinets - with glass cabinets at top

To "lucy0214" & " bowyer123"

Can you share how tall your ceilings are in your kitchen..??.. and how tall those lighted glass cabinets are.

I've been considering this approach for our new build and would love to see more pictures of how that looks by the range... presuming you carried that all the way through the kitchen.

Also "bowyer123" -- I need to do a layout similar to what you've done with some wall double ovens and microwave; Is your microwave comfortable to use at that height..??..

• bowyer123
    11 years ago

Jannz77,

My ceilings are 10 feet tall. The lower cabinets are 36" tall and the uppers are 31' from the bottom of the upper door to the ceiling. Also, the doors are different sizes near the ovens if you compare this picture with the ones I previously posted. We love the double ovens and separate cook top, more than a range. The height is better for us and 2 full-sized overs is preferable for us considering our cook top is only 36" wide.

The bottom of the microwave door is at 59" high from the floor. This is a just a bit higher than is ideal for my wife and kids, but we manage just fine. The frame around the microwave adds 3-1/2" inches to the height of the bottom of the door. I suppose you could do without the frame, but we like it.

Hope this helps!

• olivesmom
    11 years ago

Sweet.reverie: I've been waiting to see your siding going up. How exciting for you! Can't wait to see it once you have it painted.

And...just curious, did you ever consider cedar shingles? If so, did you opt for the hardie ones due to cost (I have no idea which is more expensive) or due to maintenance/ looks?

This post was edited by olivesmom on Mon, Mar 25, 13 at 21:00

• sweet.reverie
    11 years ago

Olivesmom: We did not really consider cedar simply for maintenance. :) We never priced it out.

• LOTO
    11 years ago

Well I got to shovel snow all morning at my new build so the framers could work tomorrow...with owner/builder someone has to do the dirty work sometime....sore and tired and will be in bed early tonight.

• LOTO
    11 years ago

double post

This post was edited by LOTO on Mon, Mar 25, 13 at 19:35

• autumn.4
    Original Author
    11 years ago

pbx2-love that graceful arch on the front porch. Very pretty!

Sweet.Reverie - coming right along! Love the shingles!

bowyer-would you mind sharing your window dimensions for the ones flanking your range? Outside dimension as well as glass dimension?

• Redsgal14
    11 years ago

Our rangetop surround was installed. I've been stressing about this for weeks. Seriously stressing over everything at this point and must stop. Is it possible to enjoy it during the last month?

• PRO
    Window Accents by Vanessa Downs
    11 years ago

Reds gal - I am really hoping you post more photos of your home. Your kitchen stone detail over the range is awesome! And YES that final month just might be the worst in the building process, as you're just plain tired of the whole thing and ready to have the decisions over and no more surprises!

• PRO
    Window Accents by Vanessa Downs
    11 years ago

Double posT

This post was edited by downsy on Mon, Mar 25, 13 at 22:22

• lucy0214
    11 years ago

Everyone's homes are looking so lovely.
    Redsgal that stone is fabulous.
    Ill also need one of those slides in my next house like laurajanes.

Jannz-My ceilings are 10ft in the kitchen. I'm not sure how tall any of the cabinets are( terrible I know). I just gave them a sketch and they built them. Probably standard sizes.

• pbx2_gw
    11 years ago

Posted by Autumn.4 (My Page) on Mon, Mar 25, 13 at 19:37
    pbx2-love that graceful arch on the front porch. Very pretty!

Thank you for the nice words.
    We're pretty happy with the gull wing sides too.

• autumn.4
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Oohhhh! Very very nice pbx2! Love the stone and the shingle siding too. Sharp home!

redsgal-just keep staring at that beautiful stone surround and maybe all of your stress will melt away! That is gorgeous!

So many nice homes going up. I am getting so antsy to join you all. :)

• lucy0214
    11 years ago

Everyone's homes are looking so lovely.
    Redsgal that stone is fabulous.
    Ill also need one of those slides in my next house like laurajanes.

Jannz-My ceilings are 10ft in the kitchen. I'm not sure how tall any of the cabinets are( terrible I know). I just gave them a sketch and they built them. Probably standard sizes.

• Eden-Manor
    11 years ago

pbx2-what materials did you use? Colors? Love, love, love!

We just broke ground on Friday and our footers go in tomorrow.

• pbx2_gw
    11 years ago

Posted by Eden-Manor (My Page) on Tue, Mar 26, 13 at 21:05
    pbx2-what materials did you use? Colors? Love, love, love!
    We just broke ground on Friday and our footers go in tomorrow.

Hi Eden-Manor - thank you soo much for the delightful comments.Congrats on your ground breaking!

Our materials: are certainteed heather grey siding/shingle & the certainteed roof in georgetown grey.

Jeldwen windows in wedgewood.
    Brick columns & foundation wall.

• pbx2_gw
    11 years ago

Delete double post

This post was edited by pbx2 on Tue, Mar 26, 13 at 21:57

• sweet.reverie
    11 years ago

Shed Dormer has shingles, weeee!

• pbx2_gw
    11 years ago

We got our Certificate of Occupancy this past Wednesday from the County & can legally move in now if we wanted.
    Of course, the Bank has to send their inspector out too, no all clears yet.

This time next week- 1st weekend of April - we will be moving in.

It took 228 days so far & the last couple weeks have been just a mad dash to the finish line for our crew.

Awaiting the grass, final tweaks & cleanup - then walk-thru on Tuesday...

This post was edited by pbx2 on Sat, Mar 30, 13 at 23:40

• pbx2_gw
    11 years ago

Delete-double post again via tablet. Sorry!

This post was edited by pbx2 on Thu, Mar 28, 13 at 1:14

• zone4newby
    11 years ago

Our foundation is dug, and the concrete guys are there today. We hope to begin framing next week! Yippee!

Here is a link that might be useful: Our house blog

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert