Return to the Building a Home Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Daylight windows/raising the house

Posted by lnia (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 20, 12 at 6:04

Hello everyone,

We are now working on incorporating daylight windows in the basement. We can raise the house by 4 1 /2 feet to give us nice size windows but by doing so we have 6 steps in garage and leading up to porch. Do you think this is took many? Not sure what is the acceptable number of steps without becoming took many.

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Daylight windows/raising the house

I think 6 are fine. The only thing to think about are any accessibility issues. Not sure if you are concerned about someone older having to take the steps or if you are injured. Or if you have a bunch of stuff to bring in the kitchen and keeping balance. But if that is not a big deal, I have seen steps done many times and it looks nice. I think the large basement windows will definitely increase the value and usability and that would be more important to me.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Building a Home Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here