Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lablover08

Thoughts on this floor plan...

LabLover08
10 years ago

Originally loved the Nantahala plan, but afraid it would be above our budget:( This plan comes in around 2400 sq ft. We are a family of four with two small boys. There is also a bonus room above the garage that we could use as a game/play room.

Comments (6)

• shifrbv
    10 years ago

I like the plan, however it most likely will cost you more than 5,000 sq ft two story.

• lmccarly
    10 years ago

This is still a complex plan. You lost the round breakfast room, but still have all those angles.

Other issues I see:
    -Dark kitchen
    -Tiny laundry room
    -No coat/utility closet
    -Breakfast room will be tight, especially getting to Master
    -Layout your family room furniture, a lot of traffic through there

I like the split bedrooms. Like the size of them too. Would give the Jack and Jill bath hall access.

• rrah
    10 years ago

It's going to be pricy with all of the twists and turns on the exterior. I count 25/26 corners.

I dislike that one cannot go directly from the garage entrance area into the kitchen. You need to walk through the house to bring in groceries, etc. into the kitchen.

I know many people on this forum think hallways are wasted space, but this plan really needs some sort of designated walkway to the bedroom wing. That can be created with flooring, but you will lose space in the family room. When you place furniture in the family room, create a bit of a walkway and consider the space of the fireplace you'll end up with about 13 or 14 feet as the family room width. Do you want a TV in there? Where will it go. I'd strongly encourage you to do a bit of furniture placement in there.

I would also be worried about the area designated as the utility room/laundry. The appliances might fit in the space, but it seems a small area in which to work and the angle in the corner really is a waste of space.

This plan will require plumbing going to 6 different places. It's inefficient for a plan this size.

This post was edited by rrah on Thu, Mar 27, 14 at 7:36

• LabLover08
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for all the feedback. Definitely gives us some importants points to really consider about this plan.
    The more I look at it, I agree the distance from the garage to the kitchen would be a pain.

• mrspete
    10 years ago

I agree with the posters who warn that this will be a very costly plan. If you've put aside one plan for cost reasons, you may have jumped put of the frying pan into the fire. You're going to pay a lot for all those angles and twists. You could have twice the square footage for what this complicated plan will cost. The plumbing is also spread out across the house, which is costly to install and opens you to a greater possibility of plumbing issues down the road.

I dislike the entrance to the master bedroom. Even if you use a small kitchen table, you're going to have to squeeze by it every time you go into the bedroom, and it'll be a pain if someone is sitting in a chair pulled out from the table.

I like the pass-through between the master closet and the laundry.

You'll need to pay attention to lighting in all the public areas, as they're all deep in the interior of the house.

I like the layout of the kitchen, but it won't be big on storage. You should pay close attention to that in choosing the cabinets.

• mrspete
    10 years ago

Duplicate post. Sorry.

This post was edited by MrsPete on Sun, Mar 30, 14 at 7:49