Return to the Building a Home Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bathroom Hutch Question

Posted by buildingsoon (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 12, 14 at 3:36

We are debating on whether to put a cabinet hutch on my girl's long bathroom counter that will sit in between two sinks. I've never had one before and am wondering if it will get annoying. The problem I see is that you have a door that swings open and takes up a lot of space but needs to be open in order to use appliances that are plugged in inside the hutch. Would just a wide open countertop be better if I just bag the hutch idea?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bathroom Hutch Question

What about a tambour (roll-top) door in the hutch? I can't imagine a swing-open door on a counter top- you'd have to take everything off of the counter to open or close it.

o

Love a hutch - to keep everything off the counter, but nearby.

o

Here's a pictures with the hutch.

o

And here's a picture without.

o

Leave it off. Counter space is really more important than storage space that's in the way of you using the counter space. Plus, it really closes in the space visually. I might do like a train rack for towels in between the two mirrors, but no dark wood anything there,

o

I think they will enjoy the separation that the hutch makes. DH and I had this setup and loved it. I hate clutter out and this kept things clear and clean. I'm not sure why they would need the outlet when it looks like there are outlets on each side. I wouldn't keep appliances plugged in and use like that. Use the hutch for storage and pull out and plug in the side wall when a blow dryer etc is used and then unplug and put away. It appears to have plenty of counter space with the hutch :)

o

• Posted by mdln none (My Page) on
    Wed, Mar 12, 14 at 15:54

How many people will be using that bathroom?

How much cabinet space do you have in the room and below the countertop?

o

Two girls will be sharing the bathroom. The only reason we originally added the hutch was we thought it would look better on such a long counter. We didn't do it for the additional cabinet space.

o

• Posted by mdln none (My Page) on
    Wed, Mar 12, 14 at 19:36

Two girls sharing a bathroom - I'd say yes.

However, can you let them decide? Since it does not seem like that big of a deal one way or the other, letting them choose is nice.

o

What about a compromise with s more shallow cabinet? I've tried to attach a link of an example at overstock.com but if it doesn't work, just search the "on the wall" or "recessed medicine cabinets". You wouldn't be able store as much but you would have the separation and keep the counter space.

Here is a link that might be useful: On the wall cabinet

o

I like it better without the hutch. If you really felt you needed the hutch, I'd opt for glass door/s to make it visually lighter -as in the photo from another poster.

o

We have a cabinet sitting on the counter in our MBath. I didn't think I was going to like it, but there isn't a closet, so. The lower cabinet was pulled out a few inches to break the long run of cabinetry. We don't miss having a linen closet at all.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Building a Home Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here