Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kath00

Where can one get moving/storage boxes cheap?

Steph Morris
11 years ago

Hello all,

We are starting our custom build this week and we need to move out of our current home and put it up for sale while the new home is being built. So we are downsizing from 5000sf to about 2700sf rental home till we can move in to our new build.

Does anyone have any tips and tricks on finding moving boxes? We have been looking around for ages now and everyone wants like $3-$5 a box! I have even checked ebay and they are pricy.

Thanks for any advice. Katherine

Comments (13)

• suser123
    11 years ago

Wal-Mart had some decent priced our last move. Sams Club has some too. Think it was around 25 for 10+. Plus they have the banker boxes. Also look into Costco and BJ Wholesale.

• hoosierbred
    11 years ago

I've been seeing used ones advertised on Craig's List. Super cheap. Just another area to check.

• thecatsmeowth
    11 years ago

I always get the free ones from the ABC store. You aren't usually able to get huge boxes and of course you have to deal with the variety of art on the boxes, but hey, they're free :D

• Spottythecat
    11 years ago

Banker's boxes are often free at Staples (rewards card). You purchase them and get back 100% in rewards....you can use the rewards to purchase more...
    They just had them about 3-4 weeks ago...keep checking their ads

• kirkhall
    11 years ago

Put an ad on your local CL that you want boxes.
    Go to a liquor store and ask if you can take some of their boxes.
    Go to grocery store and ask for apple boxes.
    Know any friends who are active Mary Kay consultants? We get our stuff shipped to us in a great moving size box. If you don't have an active MK friend, find one on marykay.com... we're all over the place.

• kirkhall
    11 years ago

Also, post on FB that you need moving boxes. You'd be surprised how many times I had a friend who just moved and one who was needing boxes, and I was able to connect the 2 so one could get rid of their boxes... The boxes are usually good for a few moves.

• gbsim1
    11 years ago

Craigslist! It saved us hundreds of dollars.

• zone4newby
    11 years ago

I agree with the above advice, but for what you are going to buy, consider plastic storage tubs (the kind made by rubbermaid and sterilite). They're often the same price as boxes, but last longer and protect your stuff better (especially in storage).

• myhappyspace
    11 years ago

I go to the grocery stores and get theirs for free. I have about half of our house packed up so far, and I haven't bought a box yet.

• LOTO
    11 years ago

I second the plastic storage tubs. We sold our home and are renting while we build and bought a bunch of the plastic tubs from Lowes....they stack very well and you can get a bunch of items in them.

• worthy
    11 years ago

...they're also bug proof and useful after you've moved. Reusing supermarket boxes is a good way to move in cockroaches and other little lovelies.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    11 years ago

We went to our local grocery store and asked for egg crates...they are just a perfect size...not too big and not too small...and they have handles cut into the sides for easy carrying...and they are free! I went in and they asked me how many...I came away with 20 and have had a 1,000 uses for them.

• dekeoboe
    11 years ago

Do you live near a military base or post? Military members are always moving, so there are always boxes available for free or very little cost near military bases. And for military moves they use the different size boxes, including the wardrobe ones so you can just hang up your clothes in the box. I would look/advertise on Craigslist.