Return to the Building a Home Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need help calculating lot dimensions

Posted by finallyhome (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 26, 12 at 1:43

I've found a small triangle shaped lot that I want to buy. However, I need to determine what size house would fit.
The left side of the triangle is 36.86. The right side 52.8. The bottom of the triangle (front of house) is 75.79.

I don't want a triangle shaped house. What would be the maximum width and depth I could build not taking into count the setbacks?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need help calculating lot dimensions

The size of the lot is 887.359
If that is square feet (you did not specify any unit of measure) it is clearly not a buildable lot.
Casey

o

If the dimensions you provided are the construction lines:
405 square feet (27' wide x 15' deep +/-)if you want a perfect rectangle.
520 square feet if you want a litle bit of a shape (combining two rectangles).
Is this for a one car garage, casita or an tiny cottage?

o

Well, I was hoping to be able to put a small 2 level home above a 2 car garage. This is an infill lot in an urban area close to downtown. I only want a small 1300 - 1400 sq ft house so I am limited in the available lots. I don't want a condo or a one of the larger townhomes in the area.

Most older houses in the area are being torn down for new builds. But since the lots are going for $150K to $200K, it doesn't make financial sense to put such a small house on these lots, nevermind the fact i'm never cutting grass again. I was hoping this lot would work.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Building a Home Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here