Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ray72

Creative Brick Layer

Ray72
11 years ago

Does anyone have pictures of "decorative" brick laying that breaks up the vertical run of a brick section?

Our mason, without input from us, decided to break up the run of brick with a decorative run of bricks.

Makes more sense in the picture.

Not sure if I like it or not, but I don't have anything to compare it to. Any help/pictures appreciated.

Thanks,
Ray

Comments (21)

• DLM2000-GW
    11 years ago

The issue is ***without input from us*** and that shouldn't have happened.

However....... I like it, it's well done, sheltered with your overhangs and a nice detail. I'd like to see it in the larger context of the house and wonder if it's going to be a repeated element (which I would want for continuity).

• chispa
    11 years ago

I don't really like it. It will provide great spaces for bird nests and spider webs

• texas_cajun
    11 years ago

I can't tell if I like it without a picture from further away to get context, but the fact that you didn't dictate it would alone be enough to infuriate me. This has happened to us quite a few times in the planning process (we haven't started yet) but things show up as "surprises" often on designs/bids, so I don't think it's an uncommon problem. I can't figure out why it's not easier to just do what the homeowners ask!

I'd probably ask them to re-do it unless you decide you really love it.

• athensmomof3
    11 years ago

We have one separating our first and second floor. Ours is a simple 3 row of bricks slightly pulled out from the rest - one pulled out a bit, the next pulled out more and the third back in where the first is. I like ours. I don't care for his pattern/design and I would have him remove it. It is sort of a strange looking design to me and doesn't seem to do anything for the house. I can't believe he did it without asking!!!!

• back2nd
    11 years ago

my questions to you are - is this the normal brick layer that your builder subs? and this is how they always do it? was the cost of materials/labor included in the bid? what did the outside elevation look like that you agreed on? how did you pick this builder, by looking at one of his models?

If you don't like it, I'm sure it's going to cost you big to have it redone. I'd like to see a bigger picture (of the whole house) before I give my opinion.

• virgilcarter
    11 years ago

I think it's fine, and actually add some interest to an otherwise plain masonry wall.

I think, however, I'd have a talk with the General Contractor to find out how the surprise happened, and what should be done to assure no further unplanned, unapproved surprises.

• jannz77
    11 years ago

From what I can see I like the way it looks but I agree that it would be nice to see what this looks like from a distance and also if this design feature is going to be repeated anywhere else which is probably necessary for 'continuity' which has already been mentioned.

I would also talk to your builder about the subs using 'creative license'... could be expensive for the builder if you decide you do not like it.

• jennybc
    11 years ago

I wouldn't have thought to ask for it and I love it! And wouldn't be worried about birds at all in space as small as those.

Jenny

• nini804
    11 years ago

We have what my husband calls a "soldier" course of bricks between our 1st and 2nd floor. They stick out a few inches from the facade to give some interest. I like little touches like that...makes it look custom and thoughtfully designed.

• chibimimi
    11 years ago

I like this -- it looks very much like the decorative courses on our 1927 former home.

• abrshafer
    11 years ago

I like it too. I agree that it does give it character which makes a house look custom.

• Ray72
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for all the responses. The builder was awesome today. He said he would remove it if I don't like it but that the sub was trying to impress us (and him). The band is call sharks tooth and is usually an expensive upgrade that he was doing for free.

The sharks tooth will be repeated in the other peak to give continuity.

We will likely keep it as is. The brick needed something to break up the run.

• oksir83
    11 years ago

I like little brick accents like that, if not overdone. Yours certainly isn't and looks great. I wouldn't have the mason change a thing.

• renovator8
    11 years ago

My concern would be that the brickie is trying to distract you from noticing that he forgot to install weeps and/or thru-wall flashing at the window heads and the top of the foundation. But finding these problems is what I do on a job site.

• robin0919
    11 years ago

I like the way it looks but can't really tell in the pic if it might hold water in wind driven rain and could freeze in the winter.

• robin0919
    11 years ago

I like the way it looks but can't really tell in the pic if it might hold water in wind driven rain and could freeze in the winter.

• brickeyee
    11 years ago

Are they deep enough to attract birds for nesting?

If they are you will have a nice white 'decorative' effect from the birds below the holes unless you use nixalite or cover them in some way.

• chispa
    11 years ago

Once a bird decides it wants to nest in a certain spot, they come back yearly and don't give up easily. I know this too well ,,, my outdoor patio speakers are currently wrapped in tin foil and the little suckers keep trying! We stopped them last year, but I guess they didn't like their new spot and tried the speakers again 2 weeks ago. Up went the tin foil. They fluttered around the speakers for several days, but seem to have stopped for now. Foil will be staying for a while!

• ILoveRed
    10 years ago

Chispa--they like the outdoor speakers on my south back porch and I have tried everything.

The foolproof solution and it works every time.

The scary fake snakes from the toy department at Wal-Mart or Target.

• myhappyspace
    10 years ago

I like brick accents. We did coined corners, a soldier course around the house and a herringbone pattern above the large garage gable. My husband is a bricklayer though, so I have to go along with his surprises. :) Here is a picture of ours:

• Ray72
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The brick mason finished both peaks and the accent really breaks up the run and with both peaks having the shark's tooth, it looks great.

Plus, at 30 feet, it is very subtle which I prefer.

Thanks for all the comments!

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner