Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_35399

Plan feedback for split-foyer, please!

I've been lurking around on these boards for years but haven't seen many split-foyer floor plans. I currently rent a split-foyer home which is perfect for my occupation (music teacher) but isn't my favorite look. My husband and I are building our first home this spring and after careful consideration we decided that a split-foyer would really be the best plan for us…so I'm trying to get used to the idea permanently.

There are two main reasons why this layout works best for us. I am a harpist and need to be able to easily move a 85+lb instrument in and out of my house with minimal stairs. I also teach lessons so the harp needs to be on the same level as my studio and I'd like that to be on a different level than the main living spaces to keep business and personal as separate as possible. The split-foyer allows me to keep my family life upstairs and business life downstairs.

This is the plan we've decided on. Since it is our first build I welcome any thoughts on it in case I missed something. I redrew our builders plans because the lines were too light to scan in. You won't see the appropriate space for walls but you get the general idea.

The house is 2494 finished square feet and will be on a .28 acre lot. I sacrificed SF for some of the upgrades inside the house, specifically in the master bedroom, master bath, and kitchen.

Would love to hear your thoughts!

This post was edited by sparkler39 on Tue, Mar 19, 13 at 2:13

Comments (109)

• GreenDesigns
    11 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

A 2 story slab on grade with no basement is cheaper to construct than a split. No real excavation needed. A one story with basement is cheaper to construct than a split. You have a bit more excavation, which isn't much cost as long as you don't have rock, but you don't have the larger windows that a split has, and you don't have the awkward lady or tiger choice that a split has. Or, a two story with a walkout basement has all of the perceived positives, with none of the negatives. It works with the slope to create outdoor entrances at the lower grade and the higher grade.

Water under the bridge now though.

• tkfinn97
    11 years ago

I've found this thread very interesting and am glad you posted. There have been lots of good suggestions about the layout and I think the brochure that Nicke360 linked to could be very helpful in making the exterior of your house look amazing. I too had thought that split level homes looked a bit outdated, just based on my own town's boom with that type of house (circa 1970s/1980s), but since looking at Houzz.com and searching for "split level exterior", I think it can be done to look really nice. For me, the entry being made into the focal point -instead of being "hidden" by the rest of the house - makes all the difference. I had this house saved in my folder as one of my inspirations and I hadn't even realized it was a split level because I was so taken with the curb appeal.

Here is a link that might be useful: [Houzz split level exterior[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/exterior-traditional-exterior-minneapolis-phvw-vp~365417)

• tkfinn97
    11 years ago

Here's one with the garage under...

Here is a link that might be useful: [Houzz.com Arts and Crafts Split[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/arts-and-crafts-clarendon-hills-remodel-and-addition-craftsman-exterior-chicago-phvw-vp~129082)

• renovator8
    11 years ago

tkfinn97, the example you posted is called a Split-Level or a Tri-Level and has 3 levels (2 on the left and one on the right) but in the OP's design the levels are not split so it is called a Split-Entry/Foyer which has 2 levels (one stacked over the other) which is cheaper to build. It's essentially a big box on a sloping site with the grade raised slightly at the front right corner and lowered at the front left corner with the front door a half level higher than the lower level and the lower at grade in the rear.

On a flat lot, the grade would not be altered, the door would be at the lower level, and it would be called a "Raised Ranch".

The point of all of these houses is to be able to fit on a narrow lot and avoid the cost of a full basement but the one you show is a bit more expensive because it has a bit more foundation, wall, and roof.

There's no cheaper house than a Split-Foyer Ranch or a Raised Ranch which is why they are so popular with developers. Why someone would build one for themselves I can't imagine; it requires so little more money to create a much better house.

• ontariomom
    11 years ago

Renovator8,

How can you tell the first link posted by tkfinn97 is not a split entry (the one called Houzz split level interior)? The description says split entry, and it looks not unlike some of the nicer split entries we have in a higher end neighbourhood in our city (i.e. beautiful landscaping, nice cladding material). The only thing I can see that looks different from the typical split entry is the lack of the 6 or so steps in front. Is it possible the gently sloping path together with the two steps makes up for the need for a full 6 exterior steps or do they have more steps inside? Or is it simply mislabeled on the Houzz description and not a split entry. I guess if there was a floor plan we would know for sure.

Sparkler, do you still want me to email a picture of our house? Are you still reading these comments?

Carol

• Jessica Frost-Ballas
    Original Author
    11 years ago

CamG and Neroselover, sorry I wasn't clear from the beginning. I indicated that this is the builder's plan we had decided on and I thought that would make it clear that we had finalized things. I haven't built before so I don't really know all the possible "steps" in the process. And yes, we're definitely reconsidering the island!

Circuspeanut, it sounds like you're suggesting a one level home with a basement (with the studio entrance in the basement). We had investigated that possibility but the cost was prohibitive for us.

OntarioMom, thank you so much for all your advice and feedback. I would love to see the photos. My email is harpseal39@yahoo.com. You've been a very encouraging presence throughout this thread and I greatly appreciate it!

Zone4newby, thanks for your comments. I've emailed my builder regarding moving the HVAC and laundry. I do't know if the HVAC has to be in the middle of the house but I really like the idea of having the entrance to the studio right at the foot of the stairs. I am thinking he'd be more amenable to that change than the kitchen/dining swap but I've asked about that, too!

Sweetreverie, I've been enjoying your blog! Thanks for commenting. I'm definitely working on the exterior. I love to garden and landscape so I'm hoping some of that will help, too!

GreenDesigns, where do you live? In my area, one stories with basements and two stories with basements were not cheaper than our split design….at least not in the size that I was looking for. And this was a a difference of tens of thousands…not just a few thousand.

Tkfinn97, thanks for the links. I hadn't realized (until this thread) that there were so many types of split-levels and some of them look quite modern and not at all dated (at least in my mind).

Renovator8, I understand that you hate split-level houses and I think everyone who has read this thread understands that, too. If you can show me plans for a house (in YOUR preferred style) that fits ALL of the criteria that I've listed, plus gives me the upgrades/built-ins in the kitchen and bathrooms that I currently have planned, and would include the 1/4 acre lot and any other fees (hooking up utilities, installing gas line, etc.), all for under $250K, I'd LOVE to see it. Otherwise, please don't feel the need to continue to beat a dead horse…

To (almost) all of you, thank you for your comments, suggestions, and advice. I've learned a lot and gotten a ton of great ideas. I greatly appreciate all of it.

• ontariomom
    11 years ago

Sparkler,

I sent you an email Friday night. The title of the email says split-level foyer. Good luck!

Carol

• Linda Gomez
    11 years ago

Sparkler,

Good luck on your build. It seems you have done your research and that this type plan will work best for your lifestyle. You have gotten some great suggestions and improvements to your flow.

In the end, you're the one who has to live with it. I can't wait to see how it turns out.

• Jessica Frost-Ballas
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Still-waters,

Thanks! I'm a little afraid to post photos as we get going but I'll get over it! ;)

• renovator8
    11 years ago

It is an insult to all those who design buildings for the pleasure, comfort and well being of others to insist on basing the dominant "parti" of a building design on whatever will produce the lowest possible cost in spite of all other considerations and to arrogantly reject the advice of anyone who would dare to suggest a more thoughtful approach.

I spent considerable time developing an alternate Tri-Level design that would greatly improve your Split-Foyer design for little additional cost but your "beat a dead horse" comment caused me to reconsider posting it. I have no problem with disagreement but I will not tolerate disrespect.

You have a lot to learn about the design of houses and given your present attitude I suspect your education will be expensive and painful.

• Jessica Frost-Ballas
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Renovator8, I have not "arrogantly rejected" anyone's advice who has given it respectfully. If you expect respect you might try showing some.

As a freelance musician, I often see people hire a "cheaper" alternative for their event. Yes, of course, I would prefer for them to hire me. However, I also understand that my price may be out of range for some people. Do I explain to them that there is a difference between a professional musician and a hobbyist? Yes. Do I deride them for their decision and tell them that it's an insult to me that they hire someone cheaper? No. There's always another client that is able to hire me and I do not begrudge someone for doing only what they are able to do.

I understand that you are a professional and I have never doubted that. I also would hazard a guess that you have never moved a concert grand harp via a dolly and/or carried an awkward lever harp. As such, you don't know my life and what would work best for my lifestyle.

I'm perfectly content with the modifications that I have made to my house plan based on helpful advice and opinions from the majority of the posters on this thread. As I said before, you can save yourself the time and trouble to contribute further. I'm sure you have better things to do with your time.

• ontariomom
    11 years ago

I would have loved to see a tri-level plan that improved upon a split foyer design, but still met the OP needs for a separate music studio all within budget. I struggled with how to improve upon my own split foyer, and even though it is too late for me , I would be curious just the same.

Any chance you will post the tri-level plan for the benefit for others, Renovator?

Carol

• Circus Peanut
    11 years ago

Circuspeanut, it sounds like you're suggesting a one level home with a basement (with the studio entrance in the basement). We had investigated that possibility but the cost was prohibitive for us.

hi Sparkler,

I guess I was asking more why you don't just have front stairs that open on the main living floor, whether it's a first floor/second floor or basement/first floor scenario. I'm no pro and it was hard for me to conceptualize this split scenario where you're not building into a hill on one side. My problem, not yours! I realize it's not really a basement but a half-basement.

I think you can make a useful and cozy house out of this split design as long as you take its inherent disadvantages into account. My ankle aches at the thought of those landing stairs .. ;-)

Nicke's pamphlet is a treasure-trove of ideas, great find. I wonder if you couldn't figure out some way to make a short hall entrance next to the garage door, so students & harps don't have to go through the garage and you don't have to worry about cleaning/personal stuff in there, which has got to become a big headache over time. Do you need 2 parking spaces?

• abrshafer
    11 years ago

In regards to the comment about the garage door under bedrooms..... Just make sure you get an extra quiet garage door opener. I believe we had a chamberlain "whisper quiet" and we had an infant above and it was so quiet it would not disturb her at all. Made a big difference than a standard loud door opener. I think it may have been about 75 more dollars but well worth it.

I also have to absolutely agree on the rectanglular island versus the c shape one and for all the reason mentioned above. C shape look good on paper but really aren't as practical.

Good luck!

• back2nd
    11 years ago

This is what a typical split looks like in my area. The downstairs (not basement) has all daylight windows. If you have a flat lot, which most are, you do not have a walkout lower level. If you have a front to back slope, you 'can' have a walkout.

Most of the staircases are located inside the house, inside the foyer area, due to such a swing in temps, people prefer to not have to shovel snow off all of those steps in the winter, and the sun totally kills ALL wood/wood product/pex/ whatever you use outside of cement or brick/block for your front stairs.

If I were to build a two story, with the exact same footprint as a split - in this picture, basically it's an L shaped house - it would cost me tens of thousands more money. Reasons: full 8 foot basement, excavating and cement costs increase substantially. Then for the 2 story, I would have to finish the main floor, and the 2nd story, with my option to finish the basement. In a split, it's only 2 floors, and I only have to finish the foyer and the upper, the downstairs is my option. These are basically the reasons people build splits here - they are cheaper!!

Just wanted to add some info for others about splits and resale......

• dekeoboe
    11 years ago

back2nd - the house you posted does not appear to be a split foyer plan, it looks like a tri-level. At least that is my understanding. A split foyer house has two floors (usually equal in size, one on top of the other), while a tri-level has floors on three levels, one at grade, one below grade and one on top of the below grade level.

• back2nd
    11 years ago

dekeoboe - it's a split foyer. The foyer is 2 steps up from grade. once in the house you have to go up 6 or down 6 steps. The upper floor, which the square footage of the foyer is included in, is the same size as the downstairs. the upper roof line in the back is actually the rest of the house - it is basically L shaped, with the garage in front. I think the roofline makes it a little misleading. this look is how 90% of all new builds look around here, 6 stairs inside the house going up or down. a three level around here is considered a side split or multi level, like a 4 level. here is ROUGH layout of this house in the pic

• renovator8
    11 years ago

Ontariomom, the OP has asked that I save myself the time and trouble to contribute further and suggested that I have better things to do with my time so I won't post the Tri-Level design although it did solve all of the problems the OP insists on ignoring.

But I would like to mention how inconsiderate, shortsighted and selfish I think it is for anyone to design a house where it is necessary for everyone to climb a stairway to get to the main living spaces.

My wife's first cousin became paralyzed from the waist down in middle age but with unusual determination and upper body strength he somehow learned to walk with standard crutches - a truly inspiring thing to see. At a family reunion he was unable to get into the house and refused to be carried so we took turns visiting him in his car. Sadly he recently took his own life. I find it impossible to look at a house design without thinking of him. Those who don't know anyone in this circumstance are fortunate.

The OP says I hate Split-Foyer houses but it would be more accurate to say that I have no respect for those who design such houses without consideration for anyone other than themselves and their budget.

• Jessica Frost-Ballas
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Renovator8, my sincere condolences on your family's loss. That is a heartbreaking situation and I do better understand your contempt for split-foyers and those who build them; however, this is what I can afford to build and what will work best for my lifestyle in my current situation.

If your situation had been my situation, I would have been able to have my relative come in through the garage to a guest bedroom and bathroom as well as use my studio as an entertaining area. The only part of my house he would not have access to would be my kitchen, but for a visit, I could bring food to him. There are plenty of people who have designed houses on this forum (that you have responded to in a positive manner) that have one or two stairs leading up to a porch in the front of their house. My house has DIRECT access to one floor with no stairs as I wheel a harp around in it and don't want ANY stairs to contend with.

Last year my grandmother visited my current home (which is set up in a similar manner to my planned build) for the Easter holiday. She couldn't manage the stairs but we rearranged the downstairs and had our main dinner and all of our socializing downstairs. The only thing we did upstairs was clean up the dishes (which she was happy to skip) and sleep. She was perfectly comfortable in the guest bedroom/bathroom, had easy access to everything she needed, and was easily able to socialize and visit with our family.

As I said in an earlier post, it would be very unfortunately if myself or someone in my family had an accident and was no longer able to manage stairs; but that would mean such a major change to our family and we would have to change so many things in our lifestyle that a new house would be the least of our concerns. My livelihood and my husband's require that we be greatly mobile. An ability to no longer work in our careers would undoubtedly require a downsizing in house as well as a change in location so if that situation arises, we will deal with it when it comes. Of course there is also the possibility that we could install an elevator in our house if necessary. There is plenty of blank wall space on the exterior walls to allow for that.

Our extended family (parents) all live in two story houses (with full basements) that require the use of stairs to access bedrooms as well as some living spaces. Again, a change in anyone's mobility in our family would, mostly likely, require new housing situations.

I understand that you are advocating the ability for a house to be wheelchair accessible or at least with a minimum number of stairs to living areas. But are you also considering those who are bed-bound? Are all of your houses designed so that a hospital bed can maneuver into every room and in and out of the house? Do you also design all of your houses to make them optimal for people with hearing or vision problems? I could give birth to a child with Xeroderma Pigmentosum and have to get rid of all the windows in my house. Do you advocate building a house with no windows in order to take this possibility into consideration? There are so many disorders, accidents, illnesses, etc. that could cause ANY house (no matter how well-designed) to become dysfunctional.

In an ideal world, every house would be completely handicap-accessible, (as well as every business, school, church, etc.) but unfortunately that's not always possible. I don't think it's possible to build a home that takes EVERY possible situation into consideration and I don't consider myself (or anyone else on this forum who doesn't have a completely handicap-accessible house) to be selfish, inconsiderate, or short-sighted but we can agree to disagree.

• ontariomom
    11 years ago

Sparkler and Renovator you both make good points. Renovator, I am very sorry about your wife's cousin! Sparkler, I don't think for a second, that anyone is selfish or inconsiderate for choosing to build a split foyer like you and I have chosen to do. When my friend, who is wheel chair bound, visits our home we visit in the finished basement Once our renos are done we will have a small snack bar down there and full bath. With the above ground, egress windows the basement is a nice place to be.

However, Renovator your point about safety is important. It is always a good idea to design any house with future elevators in mind, or at least large enough landings to accommodate a future chair lift. We have stacked closets from basement to main level should we ever want to add a home elevator.

Good luck with your build Sparkler and I hope you will update us on your porgress. I shall look up tri-level homes Renovator as I'm sure that would also work nicely. I have not been in a tri-level home that I am aware of.

Carol

• Jessica Frost-Ballas
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Abrshafer, thanks for the advice on the garage opener. Have added it to my list! :)

• Jessica Frost-Ballas
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Deleted duplicate post.

This post was edited by sparkler39 on Wed, Mar 27, 13 at 15:02

• renovator8
    11 years ago

I don't believe all houses should be designed to be accessible to the handicapped but they should at least be adaptable to allow access from the street at a later date for a reasonable cost.

Houses that do not have internal obstacles (like split-entry stairways), can have an exterior ramp added as was the case at my house. That ramp was very useful when our dog ran into my wife and broke her knee; my father had a hip replacement; my 28 year old client became disabled during a project; and at a going away party for our neighbors an important older guest was confined to a motorized scooter (he scootered over a day early to be sure he could get into the house).

An architect friend wrote the book linked below. Anyone designing a house should read it and think about what they can do now to make later modifications possible. It just might turn out to be more important than what you decide to use for the kitchen counters.

Here is a link that might be useful: The Accessible Home

• Jessica Frost-Ballas
    Original Author
    10 years ago

It's been almost 5 months but I wanted to post a quick update on my split-foyer home. We're about a week from settlement and I absolutely love this house. I can't wait to move in and make it a home!

And for anyone considering a split-foyer home, if it works for you and your lifestyle: go for it and don't let anyone talk you out of it!

Here is a link that might be useful: House-Building Blog

• akshars_mom
    10 years ago

The house looks great. Your build has been one of the fastest builds I have seen on her. Congratulations on being almost there.

• Jessica Frost-Ballas
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Akshars_mom, thanks so much! It's been quite a ride over the last few months but the builder has been great. We actually signed a contract in February but there were a lot of delays so we didn't break ground until May. Our workers are consistently there on weekends, after 5, on holidays, etc. to help us get moved in before the end of the month. My husband and I are both teachers and really need to get moved in before Labor Day so that we can at least get a little settled before the school year begins!

• ontariomom
    10 years ago

Fabulous house, Sparkler. I am so glad for you and your DH that the build is almost over. It is a stressful experience. Seems like your builder and team completed your build in record time and with minimal stress.

I find with your black railings the colour of the brick stairs ties in better than without the railings. I know you had some concern about the step colours. I think your DH was right that once landscaped, the steps and siding will all tie in. In some lights I see the grey in the steps to tie in with the siding anyway.

I can't wait to see more of your interior pictures. Enjoy your new home and that awesome light filled basement with your above ground windows front and back!

I hope you will check back with GW from time to time, especially the monthly building progress posts, so you can see the end result of us poor sods who are still building. I can't wait to be at your stage.

Carol

• Jessica Frost-Ballas
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Carol,

Thanks so much! You have been such a source of inspiration and comfort throughout this process! I feel like you're a friend I've known all my life! I will definitely post and visit GW as we continue to move in and get settled! I can't wait to see your house (especially your kitchen) when it's all completed!!

• ontariomom
    10 years ago

I have enjoyed your house building journey too and count you as a close GW friend for sure! You helped me solve my steps design challenge by showing me how they built yours!

Don't hold your breath for our reveal as DH is going to slowly finish the building himself as he is off work for 5 months. I will be happy if we are done by next March. We are going for the longest GW build record LOL.

You will post interior pics of your home won't you (or at least send me a few)?

Carol

• Jessica Frost-Ballas
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Carol,

Have your steps been completed yet? I'd love to see them! It sounds like we may have had one of the fastest builds so maybe it's appropriate that you have the slowest! ;)

I'm sure you'll be relieved and excited when it's all done! I'm actually beginning to wonder what I'll do now that I don't have to spend hours trolling GW, lighting websites, and paint blogs! :)

And I'm sure there'll be more to come in the next few days but I did post a couple photos on the August thread!

• ontariomom
    10 years ago

Hi Sparkler,

No the steps are not installed. The natural stone steps are sitting on our driveway. We are waiting on a sub to return to regrade the front and do the footings and concrete block supports. The stone steps will go on concrete block stringers. The stringers will be mostly hidden as the area is recessed.

I'll go check the other post for your pictures. I hope to see one of the interior steps/foyer area perhaps taken from the outside landing?

Carol

• dekeoboe
    10 years ago

Do you have pictures of the other sides of the house? I looked through your blog, but I didn't see any there either.

• Jessica Frost-Ballas
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Carol,

Here's a photo from the front landing. Of course, it's still not a huge landing...we chose to not extend the landing and stairs and lose space on the main floors. With the large landing at the top of the exterior stairs, the door moved over to the right, and the wider stairs to the main floor it feels just right!

• Jessica Frost-Ballas
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Dekeoboe, just realized I haven't taken photos from the other sides recently...I'll do that tomorrow!

• ontariomom
    10 years ago

Oh, I do love those wide steps with matching entry floor. It looks so nice. Glad you did not do carpet for the steps. It will be so much more practical in hardwood. Thanks for the photo.

Carol

• Jessica Frost-Ballas
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Well, I've been in our split-foyer for over a year and I love it more and more every day! One of the big criticisms of the split-foyer was the small entryway. While still not my "dream" entryway I wanted to share what we did with it in case anyone else is in the same situation and wants some ideas!

Here is a link that might be useful: House-Building Blog

• mrspete
    9 years ago

We looked at a house with that very same entryway, and we ended up not buying it. It had essentially your same "upstairs" floor plan -- it's a very common layout. I HATE the foyer; for all the reasons others have mentioned, it has NO redeeming features.

Having said that, if circumstances had been a little different, I would've bought that house. Yes, I would've hated the foyer, but I liked the rest of the house.

However, that would've been a matter of liking the rest of the house and accepting the foyer. I would never CHOOSE TO BUILD such a poorly designed feature into a new house. Not when all the other options in the world present themselves.

I've seen plenty of other split-levels that work well. They tend to have similar floor plans, but

- the entryway is typically in the living room
    - the staircase is in the center of the house turned 90 degrees.

• pixie_lou
    9 years ago

Your stated goal in your original post was to accommodate students for music lessons. To have an almost separate area for the music studio. Yet when I look at the photo of your house, I do not see an entrance for the music studio. Did you scrap that part of the plan? I Can't imagine carrying a harp up those 7 steps and then down the equivalent.

• Jessica Frost-Ballas
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Mrs. Pete, thanks for your honest opinion. I've lived in a split foyer home (rental and now my own) for almost 7 years now and I really like the layout. I know it's not popular and most people would not choose to build one but we did and we like it. Since we're the ones living in it, that's all that really matters to me.

I considered an option where the entryway would be in the living room but I wanted some separation from the entryway and living room (no matter how small that might be). Since I couldn't have a 10x10 'grand foyer' I'd rather have a landing where people's shoe dust and dirt can hit rather than in the middle of my living room. I've never heard of the other option you mentioned, though, and can't quite picture it in my head. Do you have a photo of that?

• Jessica Frost-Ballas
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Pixie_lou, sorry it's not obvious from the photo I posted. My students actually enter from a side door to the right of the garage. I load and unload my harp through the garage so there's no stairs involved for me or my students. My studio is on the bottom floor. When they come in on the bottom level there's a little nook for them to drop their shoes, coats, and bags and then the music studio is on their right.

I took a couple quick photos so please excuse the poor lighting. The first is from inside the studio. You can see the door my students use to the right of the storage closet doors. To the right of that door are the stairs leading up to the landing.

The other photo is from the opposite corner of my studio. Behind the piano you can see the nook where my students take off their shoes and also an additional under-the-stairs storage closet. To the right of that you can see the trim of the student/guest bathroom door.

Hopefully that makes it a little clearer!

• pixie_lou
    9 years ago

I Just don't see the door on the outside of the House.

• Jessica Frost-Ballas
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I didn't post a photo of it...still working on landscaping so I didn't want to share it yet...and you can't see it from the front of the house. It's on the right side. There's a pathway from the driveway that leads to the door. When I get that area fixed up I'll post a photo.

• Jessica Frost-Ballas
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Sorry, this probably would have helped...still doesn't show that door but now you can see the garage doors and the path leading to the door on the right side of the house.

• ontariomom
    9 years ago

Wonderful pictures, Sparkler. I do love the blue door! Your photo gallery in the foyer is very nicely done. Your music studio looks like the perfect solution for your goal of a separate entry for your business from the house. If you and your DH have kids, I can see him looking after the young ones upstairs while you have a space downstairs to teach in. It is a nicely decorated space for your students to have their lesson, and for you to teach in too. You have done a terrific job of decorating your home in the year since it was built.

Mrs. Pete:

I must say I was surprised at your frank comments. The house has been built and it is lovely. Why uses words like HATE and never CHOOSE TO BUILD in capitals. Sparkler has obviously chosen to build this style of house and is enjoying her home. It is not as if she is considering building a split foyer or contemplating buying one -- she is living in it.

I hope when you post your finished pics of your house people won't use words like HATE and I would never CHOOSE TO BUILD statements ... about your newly built house. Just saying.

Carol

• mrspete
    9 years ago

I'm attaching (I hope) a picture of a typical split level in my area. The entrance is in the "main part" of the house, which is usually the living room -- but you could make it the music area. Typically there's a family room "downstairs" and all the bedrooms "upstairs". Yes, it is essentially half a two-story house connected to half a one-story house -- and the stair cases are only "half staircases", meaning that they're shorty-stairs because of the way the house is joined in the middle.

Several additional thoughts have occurred to me -- some very basic questions:

- You say you don't have children yet. Why build a four-bedroom house, especially since budget is a concern? Build a standard three-bedroom house (good for resale), and future small children can share a bedroom without any problem.

- Do you really need a separate office and music room? You say your husband works away from home, and you cannot use both rooms at once. I understand that for a large instrument like a harp, you need floor space, but could not the office be built into one space?

- In one post you allude to the idea that at some point in the future you won't need to teach music anymore -- did I get that right? I'm assuming this means that at some point you'll only be performing -- not teaching? If you're working towards working your way out of this job, does it make sense to spend the money to build a custom room for teaching music? This seems, again, to indicate an office and music room could be combined.

- Is a garage an actual need? I know, I know, it's something pretty much everyone wants, but you're looking at sacrificing your living area -- why not cut out keeping your car indoors?

If you were to cut out some of these items, you'd be down to a smaller square footage, which might allow you to build all on one level -- and then you could have a door on the side of the house for students /a main door for your friends.

Comments on other parts of the house:

- I definitely like the idea of changing the island to a simple rectangle. It'd be more cost-efficient and then would provide more storage in the space.

- Your master bath has some problems: the door and the linen closet door are going to knock against one another, the door will hit a person using the sink, and a bathroom this size really can't support a toilet-in-a-closet. You have plenty of space, but this particular layout isn't working well.

- Closet doors need to open "out". As they're drawn, you'll have to enter the closet and close the door to access the clothes on one side.

Carol, I do hate that type of entryway. Apparently so do most people. I was under the impression that she hadn't yet started building this house, and she still has the choice to build something much better.

I do agree with the poster who says that when essentially EVERYONE things the same thing, sometimes you have to ask yourself if you're on the right track -- especially if it's a house that you eventually want to sell. Even if your idea is dead-on for you, yourself, it may not be popular at resale time.

And a comment on considering possible handicaps when building a house: Don't neglect temporary handicaps. For example, pregnancy makes it tough to go up and down stairs. I remember clearly that in my 8th and 9th month I'd walk into the school building and stop to rest before starting up the stairs to my classroom. Many -- if not most -- people will consider a house that has some bedrooms upstairs, bedrooms that might one day become inaccessible, but ALL the essential parts of the house are upstairs, and that does cut out a large percentage of your future possible buyers.

• Jessica Frost-Ballas
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi Carol,

Thanks, as always, for your kind and encouraging words! I knew I was opening myself up to negative feedback again by sharing on here but I've been promising you some foyer and front photos so I thought I'd go ahead and post them! ;)

I know my house won't please everyone but I've finally realized that if it works for me and I love it then I don't care what others think. I'm sure some of the other posters live in houses that I would not care for either so...to each his own! :)

But on another subject, how is your kitchen coming along?

• ontariomom
    9 years ago

Mrs. Pete,

Sparkler, the OP, finished her split-foyer house one year ago. I think the title of the post is throwing you. This is essentially a reveal update to an old post. The picture you posted looks like a classic split level which is different from a split-foyer (or so it seems from the outside picture).

Sparkler,

Sadly we don't have that much progress to report on our end. Our kitchen cabinets are ready for pick up, but we are not ready for them. They are RTA cabinets. Some day we will be in your shoes and be done, but not any time soon.

Carol

This post was edited by OntarioMom on Mon, Sep 22, 14 at 21:51

• autumn.4
    9 years ago

sparkler-I second Carol on how homey and comfy your home looks after just a year. Woohoo! Looks great. We won't have grass for a good year either. Yours is looking pretty good to me right now! :D

• Jessica Frost-Ballas
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Autumn,

Thanks! It's hard to believe we've been here for only a year. Our old rental actually just went up for sale again and the photos on the realtor's website are still from when we lived there...just for kicks we looked through them and it's crazy to think that we were there for 5 years. I'm SO glad we have a place to call our own now (that doesn't have a pepto bismol pink bathroom!). And yeah, not great grass...we have plans to totally overhaul the lawn but that'll have to wait a few years...

• Jessica Frost-Ballas
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Mrs. Pete,

As Carol (OntarioMom) said earlier, this is just a follow-up reveal post. Our house is done and built (just the way we want it). It did change quite a bit from the original drawings I posted but at this point I'm not sure I'll post the rest of the house because I'm just tired of defending myself again and again. I'm know it's not necessarily to everyone else's taste but we will be here a good 10 years (or longer) and we'll deal with resale when the time comes. Maybe I'll regret it 10 years down the road and maybe I won't...if I remember I'll come back here and post our story when/if we move.

Our house is 2494 square feet of usable space (not including the garage and storage room)...I'm pretty sure that we've got plenty to work with and more than many have. I'm thankful for what we were able to afford to build and how it works for us. I do appreciate the thought you put into your questions though and I'm sorry that it wasn't clearer that this was just a follow-up.

Sponsored
Pierre Jean-Baptiste Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars76 Reviews
Award-Winning Interior Designer in Loudoun County | 12x Best of Houzz